Terri Shiavo and such

PnkCosmo

Hmm, I don't have a living will. We should look into that.

I think I'd like for my soul to be allowed to pass on. I wouldn't want my soul to be held hostage in a non-responsive body for 15 years.

nphernetton

I'm with you 100%, I would not want to live a life like that... I do have a will though, my mom advised me to write one up when I turned 18...

Juneplum

oh no... this is so sad... may her soul rest in peace.. her situation has prompted my DH and I to do a living will cos neither of us would want to live like that...

mac_obsession

I was really torn about this whole Shiavo situation. They're claiming abuse, which I dunno about. But I think that depriving her of water was just horrible. I was told (by my mother) that it doesnt hurt, it just looks bad, they kept her on morphine so she felt no pain.. I think that its best that its over now, she isnt suffering anymore, but I dont know what to think of the whole situation itself.

Between this and seeing Million Dollar Baby Ive had a rude awakening as to these types of things.

I also read that the increase in living wills went up by 90% since the Shiavo case hit the news.

Being that my health is very bad, instead of a living will, which is very vague, I did a Medical Proxy.

You dont need a lawyer, you can goto lawdepot.com or any archive of legalease medical forms, and do it yourself for MUCH cheaper. $15-30 USD compared to $500 for a lawyer to do the same thing.

Basically you get to choose what you want, and who you want to adminster (make the decision) food/water/drugs or a DNR. I chose no heroic measures, but I want pain meds until the last moment. After calling my mother in tears over Terri Shiavo we discussed it and I decided I wouldnt want food or water either...Just gimme the drugs, and let me go gently.

Im 31, and I keep telling myself that I'm too young for this, but my mother (whos a Dr.) says everyone should have something like it...

I guess most people dont want to admit it, but its a fact of life for me. I know my father would make me suffer by keeping me alive, but my mom would let me go if the need arose, because Ive suffered enough already.

I wouldnt want to live in a hospital, or a hospice, nursing home or any other place to be a burden on those that I love & love me. I wouldnt want to live on machines either as I spent 5 years of my life in hospitals.

So yeah thats the end of my very personal rant.

user2

I also think about being an organ donator (do you know what I mean? I dont have the English word for it! sorry...)

mac_obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by VuittonVictim
I also think about being an organ donator (do you know what I mean? I dont have the English word for it! sorry...)

Thats what its called
smiles.gif
well, Organ Donor (Close enough)

Dia

What really amazes me is the number of other situations far worse than hers that don't get any media coverage.

I believe her husband when he said that she stated she wouldn't want to live like that, but I think they could've ended her physical life in a much more humane and comfortable way. They're more humane when they give serial killers lethal injections than they were to her.

nphernetton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dia
What really amazes me is the number of other situations far worse than hers that don't get any media coverage.

I believe her husband when he said that she stated she wouldn't want to live like that, but I think they could've ended her physical life in a much more humane and comfortable way. They're more humane when they give serial killers lethal injections than they were to her.

I agree with you, but unfortunately the way the laws are set up, if they'd given her some kind of injection, that would be murder...taking her tube out was in the laws eyes "letting nature take its course"

Most lethal injections are humane, some do go wrong however and end up being very slow and painful.
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/arti...=8&did=478

Dia

Quote:
Originally Posted by nphernetton
I agree with you, but unfortunately the way the laws are set up, if they'd given her some kind of injection, that would be murder...taking her tube out was in the laws eyes "letting nature take its course"

Most lethal injections are humane, some do go wrong however and end up being very slow and painful.
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/arti...=8&did=478

Good old american law. One day someone will take over the country and make sense of things. I really hope it's during my lifetime.

I doubt the 'lethal injections gone wrong" were as slow and humiliating as her death.

mac_obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by VuittonVictim
thx mac_obsession for the short English lesson....

Oh no worries
greengrin.gif
Glad to help!

Latest posts