The best of UK cheapies?

Kisbee

I've got rid of most of my (ancient) e/s in disgust (and then realised that I must only use a few of them because I haven't missed any of the ones I chucked). So now I'm after some new ones, and since I probably won't be able to afford a complete MAC e/s wardrobe, Boots is probably my best bet.

I have a problem with lots of e/s not having enough pigment and just dissapearing on my eyes, so while cheap is good, there's not point in buying it if I can't see it once it's on..

What are your favourites?

lovemetodeath

prestige is supposed to be very good for the price. i hear they have excellent pigmentation but i've not actually tried them. I think they are on special offer at Boots now 2 for £7 so i'm thinking of getting a couple

Kisbee

Hmm, haven't heard of that line.. wonder if it's only at some Boots (altho ours is pretty big..)

Showgirl

Ooh, I've only just registered but can't resist commenting to help a fellow UK eyeshadow enthusiast :)

Barry M loose eyeshadows (aka "Dazzledust") are pretty fantastic, available at larger branches of Superdrug....

Also at Superdrug there is a "Me Me Me" range of pressed shadows in a small but good range of colours which cost 2 for £7, I have the fuschia and it's pretty good.

I quite like some of the Collection 2000 eyeshadows though the quality is very variable... "Manic Mercury" is a nice shimmery dark pewter, and there's a shimmery yellow-green which is also nice... but I have some other colours that suck. They are £2.09 a shadow.

Also, if you're interested in loose, pigment-style eyeshadows it's worth knowing that the bargain of the century is Pure Luxe eyeshadow samples. Their shipping charge of around 5 dollars includes international shipping to the UK, the sample pots cost $1 (like, 70p) and you get a really generous amount, and UK import laws means you can make purchases of up to £17 in value without paying any duty..... so if you fancy buying a large quantity of colours, you can get something daft like 17 samples for £15 including postage.. find their site at http://www.pureluxe.com.

PS, sorry if I'm breaking specktranet etiquette by posting straightaway without introducing meself etc, just really wanting to be helpful!

Sho x

neeshie

hi, just tried your link and it doesn't work...i think it is pureluxecosmetics.com

Any colour recommendations?

Kisbee

Thanks for the suggestions Showgirl! How funny is it that I don't even think of Superdrug..it's the lure of Boots points!

I'll go have a look tho, they've just opened a Superdrug near me.. I think on the whole I'll try saving my pennies for some MAC things, but since I have 1 Urban Decay, 1 No 7 pallette and some random stuff that I bought in the States, I might get bored of green and turquoise if I'm not careful.

Henna_Spirit

i like the barry M range. Bourjoui is pretty good. there is this 'new' brand i didnt see before in superdrug, Gosh or soemthign like that. they have an excellent range of pigments and eyeshadows. their lip glosses are really nice aswel. havent tested the rest, but it looked pretty good
greengrin.gif

Showgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeshie
hi, just tried your link and it doesn't work...i think it is pureluxecosmetics.com

Any colour recommendations?

Sorry for the bad link, yes it should've been pureluxecosmetics.com ....

I've got about a dozen of their little samples so far and my favourites are Supernova, Galaxy, Tart!, Fresh, and Vortex (site descriptions below), along with the couple of samples I've got from their "Aura" collection (basically the "Auras" are pearl shadows with irridescence of the colour selected - Red Aura, Opal Aura, Blue Aura etc... quite similar to the "Reflects" Mac pigments).

Their Kaleidoscope collection are also pretty good - http://www.pureluxecosmetics.com/wst_page20.html - while IMHO they don't offer the really radical dramatic colour shift the site promises, they remind me strongly of the shimmery duo-chrome-ness of "Seedy Pearl" (my fave Mac shadow) but with slightly different mixes of contrast-shimmer through each one, even though the Kaleidoscope samples are more expensive I'd say they are well worth a go.

The ones that weren't so good were the "simpler" Pure Luxe colours I tried (I bought a basic grey, green and a white and they were just... OK...) but still, a dollar's pretty good even for those.

There's lots more reviews of pureluxe stuff on http://www.makeupalley.com if you're registered (this is where I first heard of 'em I think), and I've got an order in for samples of their blushes, mineral foundation and concealer powders this time, I'll let you know how they go.

Overall I think the quality overall (lastability etc) isn't quite as good as Mac pigments, but the colours are SO interesting and unique that they're a steal at the price.

Hope this helps..... :)

Supernova - ULTRA SUPER SPARKLE! For a true shadow diva. Medium pink with golden/yellow interference.
Galaxy- ULTRA SUPER SPARKLE! For a true shadow diva! Smokey blue/green with a golden interference.
Vortex - This is a ONE OF A KIND color! I have never seen so many colors in one product before. At first glance, it appears baby blue. Look again and you will see gold and silver shimmer overlay. Apply wet, let dry, blend, and see the color change again! Now you have a baby blue base, a pink reflection seems to emminate from the blue, and over all of that, you have gold and silver speckles of glimmer. WoW!!
Tart - NOT FOR THE SHY!! This green is for the divas only
smiles.gif
Bright, bold neon green. Metallic.

Fresh - pink/peach/yellow/gold all interferencing with each other. WOW!!!!!

The Aura Collection is a unique line of shadows.
To look at each in the jar, all you see is a pearly white.
When the light hits it, you see the hidden color flash.
Applied wet, POW the color just jumps out at you!
VERY unique!

as_cute_as_pie

boots own 17 is alright too
smiles.gif
their shadows are really intense with good pay off too
no7 is good but is just a couple of pounds cheaper than MAC anyway
smiles.gif

Steel

I love 17 eyeshadows and blushes. Amazing value! I don't think you would be disappointed with these!

The 17 e/s are way better than Bourjois ones. Prestige I haven't tried but I don't like the packaging anyway, heh.

princessOfpOi

I f you can get hold of StarGazer cosmetics where you are, then they are rather good, huge range of loose and pressed shadows and lashes etc..and pretty cheap too...

madkitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showgirl
Sorry for the bad link, yes it should've been pureluxecosmetics.com ....

I've got about a dozen of their little samples so far and my favourites are Supernova, Galaxy, Tart!, Fresh, and Vortex (site descriptions below), along with the couple of samples I've got from their "Aura" collection (basically the "Auras" are pearl shadows with irridescence of the colour selected - Red Aura, Opal Aura, Blue Aura etc... quite similar to the "Reflects" Mac pigments).

Their Kaleidoscope collection are also pretty good - http://www.pureluxecosmetics.com/wst_page20.html - while IMHO they don't offer the really radical dramatic colour shift the site promises, they remind me strongly of the shimmery duo-chrome-ness of "Seedy Pearl" (my fave Mac shadow) but with slightly different mixes of contrast-shimmer through each one, even though the Kaleidoscope samples are more expensive I'd say they are well worth a go.

The ones that weren't so good were the "simpler" Pure Luxe colours I tried (I bought a basic grey, green and a white and they were just... OK...) but still, a dollar's pretty good even for those.

There's lots more reviews of pureluxe stuff on http://www.makeupalley.com if you're registered (this is where I first heard of 'em I think), and I've got an order in for samples of their blushes, mineral foundation and concealer powders this time, I'll let you know how they go.

Overall I think the quality overall (lastability etc) isn't quite as good as Mac pigments, but the colours are SO interesting and unique that they're a steal at the price.

Hope this helps..... :)

Supernova - ULTRA SUPER SPARKLE! For a true shadow diva. Medium pink with golden/yellow interference.
Galaxy- ULTRA SUPER SPARKLE! For a true shadow diva! Smokey blue/green with a golden interference.
Vortex - This is a ONE OF A KIND color! I have never seen so many colors in one product before. At first glance, it appears baby blue. Look again and you will see gold and silver shimmer overlay. Apply wet, let dry, blend, and see the color change again! Now you have a baby blue base, a pink reflection seems to emminate from the blue, and over all of that, you have gold and silver speckles of glimmer. WoW!!
Tart - NOT FOR THE SHY!! This green is for the divas only
smiles.gif
Bright, bold neon green. Metallic.

Fresh - pink/peach/yellow/gold all interferencing with each other. WOW!!!!!

The Aura Collection is a unique line of shadows.
To look at each in the jar, all you see is a pearly white.
When the light hits it, you see the hidden color flash.
Applied wet, POW the color just jumps out at you!

VERY unique!

thanks for that - just ordered some to give them a try!

Kisbee

Ooh, got a £5 voucher for No7 or Ruby and Millie stuff, think I might get a brush.. I don't have a big buffing brush...are R&M brushes ok?

madkitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisbee
Ooh, got a £5 voucher for No7 or Ruby and Millie stuff, think I might get a brush.. I don't have a big buffing brush...are R&M brushes ok?

have boots got a promo on at the moment then? the last time they did that I bought a lush R&M blusher

Kisbee

They're doing one of their spend £10 and get a £5 voucher for No 7 or R&M, but apparently it doesn't cover tools, just make up
ssad.gif
. But I have to replace my silver eyeliner soon, so I might just do that instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessOfpOi
I f you can get hold of StarGazer cosmetics where you are, then they are rather good, huge range of loose and pressed shadows and lashes etc..and pretty cheap too...

Mhm they are cheap! Just stay away from the UV range, I can't remember what it's called but it's pretty obvious just looking at them cus they're bright neon. I bought some and it's very chalky.. the only reason I'd wear it is if your going clubbing or something (for the UV). But the other stuff is good!

xiahe

idk if they sell all of these brands in the UK, but milani, prestige, NYX, and even covergirl have nice, pigmented shadows.

if you're having problem with pigmentation, try a base. if you have wet n wild, they made these little cream shadows in a small little tube for $2.99USD, and they're just like MAC paints but IMO much much better.
smiles.gif

Karen_B

I love BarryM Dazzle Dust! They have some MAC lookalikes as well:
Their no 39 is quite similar to Tan piggie, no 34 is similar to Stars'n Rockets e/s, they have a Fuchsia one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen_B
I love BarryM Dazzle Dust! They have some MAC lookalikes as well:
Their no 39 is quite similar to Tan piggie, no 34 is similar to Stars'n Rockets e/s, they have a Fuchsia one...

I tried them on my hand today and they looked SO GOOD! Unfortunately I'm only 14 and not allowed to spend a lot on make up, and I don't get much of an allowance.. so I'm trying to get some on ebay.

Latest posts