The Powder Group set to launch new print publication On Makeup Magazine

athena123

Re: On Makeup Magazine

I finally received my complementary copy and I'm a little disappointed -

The positives: The first few pages feature new products - I was gratified to hear that Smashbox has come out with an eco-friendly line with biodegradable packaged, paraben/sulfate free cosmetics. Pictures are lovely and I like seeing the contents of professional makeup artist kits.

Negatives: I was hoping for more intensive product reviews and tutorials. I'd love to see how MAs really apply makeup for HD television and airbrush application. Billy B has a few pages in the magazine with some beautiful faces he created, but there's no step by step to tell us how he got there, just the pics. Instead, On Makeup magazine is filled with a lot of advertisements and interviews with makeup artists.

I'm obviously not the intended audience for this magazine, but at least I was able to check it out for no cost and I hope they do well.

COBI

I got mine last week, and I pretty much agree with athena123's review.

I'd be interested to see if and how they tweak the second issue.

tinagrzela

I got mine today, and not very impressed...for a magazine, some of their images were stretched out and look fuzzy...sorry guys, my husband teaches computer graphics, and I'm like a drone to these things. as for the info, not that great, but ok. let's just say I'm not gonna buy a subscription.

Loveleighe

i got my copy 1-2 weeks ago and right as the the mailman handed it to me i stood there in front of my door reading it... i actually found out one of my teachers is featured in it which is pretty cool too. i actually like it but do feel like it could be bigger and more extensive after all it's only out seasonally right

prettygirl

I received my free one yesterday! Can't really complain.. since it was FREE! I enjoyed looking through it and discovering new makeup brands.

Krasevayadancer

I think as a whole it had its positives and negatives. Lots and lots of ads (annoying because they take up space when we wanna see new products, good because it exposes us to new brands) I understand that the ads fund the project, but i would have loved some more content on technique, trends and new products.

athena123

Unfortunately I found more negatives than positives and don't plan to subscribe; perhaps because it's so new, they don't now WHO their target audience is or what we expected? I expected a makeup magazine to give me makeup tips, tutorials and reviews. I really don't care about interviewing all the MAs on CNN, unless they planned to give us a tutorial for how to apply foundation on Anderson Cooper so he looks good on HDTV.

Janice

Specktra Bestie

It's an industry magazine for professional MUA's. I did think that we as enthusiasts could take away something from the magazine. I haven't received anything yet though, so I don't know. It's the first issue though, so we'll see how it goes. Sending your feedback to the company is valuable as well if you're inclined.

user79

Ah, just saw there was a separate thread for this.

So I got that free issue of On Makeup Magazine by the Powder Group. Did anyone else receive their free issue? What do you think of it? I like it, but I wish they would have more pictures of actual make-up in it, and even some step-by-step instructions. Also what annoyed me is that for the make-up pics they posted and artist focus images, they don't write what make-up was used, which I think would be really helpful! That's the thing about mag pics, they never write what products were used, and I thought this magazine would be the perfect platform for that.

I liked how they had infos about new products, but I would have liked to see more in-depth reviews, and more comparisons of similar products and stating which one is better, etc.

What did you ladies think of your free issue, those who signed up for one?

Janice

Specktra Bestie
Received the issue yesterday and I really enjoyed the format though there could be some improvements with the product listings for photos. I don't mind the advertising, they have to pay for this somehow and it was really cool IMO to see such big industry names in the first issue of a brand new little mag. I enjoyed reading about the professional MUA's, the challenges and highs they face in their day to day work life it is really inspirational especially for the people here who might be looking to break into the industry or make a name for themselves in it. By reading the creative directors comments on the first page, I could see how this mag is still developing for them and it's by no means a complete product or idea. I'm confident it will continue to evolve.

pahblov

I loved the way they did the products in chinese characters! I agree though with most of the comments about the magazine. I wish too, that it was longer, but I'm guessing that since it's just the first issue they'll probably tweak for the next one.
I actually found the CNN stuff really interesting, as well as the Burlesque interviews. Am I the only one?
P.S. How pretty were the photos in the last article?!?

User49

Make Up Magazine - Did anyone else get one?

I don't know if anyone remembers before Christmas the post about a new make up magazine coming out? And that all you had to do was get your address in and get the first issue of this new magazine? Well I got mine around February time and now I'd like to subscribe to it. Does anyone know where to get the info to subscribe? Thanks!

COBI

Re: Make Up Magazine - Did anyone else get one?

The discussion continued on the original thread when people started receiving it: http://specktra.net/f285/powder-grou...26/index2.html

If there's not a subscription card, subscription information is usually available near the front of magazines below the fine print listing of all editors and publishers.