they just ignore me...but I WANT TO WORK FOR THEM hahaha

kimmy

i've been to nordstrom's to apply for a job at the mac counter. i've filled out a job application, i've given my name to the cosmetic manager and all that stuff.

the problem is, i have a portfolio and everything [with professional photographers and models from shoots and filmsets i've worked on] but...nobody seems interested in even giving me the time of day.

i swear i walk in there to try and talk to the managers about getting a job there and they all completely ignore me. i'm seventeen, but i've been told i look younger...but i mean, i don't think i look SO much younger to where i look under the age of sixteen which is legal employment age haha.

so...how do i get their attention? how do i go about making one of the mac managers sit down and review my portfolio with me and have a serious discussion about employment with them?

i'd love ANY tips you fine people have to offer :]

lah_knee

ya i'm almost positive they only hire 18+ especially for cosmetic positions. plus, on top of that, they usually want someone with sales experience; like someone who's worked retail before. they not only want to know you can apply makeup, but also that you can sell it
smiles.gif

MizMac

At my store you have to be 18 to work the counters. Retail experince is pretty important as well. Also, try talking to the cosmetic manager. alot of the times CM's are pretty busy, the coz manager might be able to help out more. Good luck!!

kimmy

i talked to the cosmetic manager and he basically told me that i didn't meet the appearance standards they apparently have for people to sell makeup there.

but thank you everyone for letting me know :] i guess i'll just have to wait 10 months hahaha. dammnn i want to work for them now *tantrum*

iiifugaziii

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE ANTHEM
i talked to the cosmetic manager and he basically told me that i didn't meet the appearance standards they apparently have for people to sell makeup there.

but thank you everyone for letting me know :] i guess i'll just have to wait 10 months hahaha. dammnn i want to work for them now *tantrum*

I have a friend who works for mac macy's counter, and when I was going to apply for nordstroms, she said that it's a lot better to work/apply at a mac freestanding store, or a macy's counter. She said that nordstroms is a lot more conservative (with your looks/appearance) and you dont get paid as much there and you work for commissions. at the macys counters and the actual stores you get the company's min wage or higher and there's lots of counters that don't mind if you have crazy hair/tattoos/piercings.
that is what she told me, at least. but maybe that explains part of the appearance standards or whatev. You should apply at a store/ macy's counter!

lah_knee

macys mac counters dont make commission i'm told. at least thats what my cousin told me who works for a macy's mac counter. they get a bit higher in wages but not much. nordstroms you get a good base pay AND commission. it is more conservative as far as appearance goes. you gotta cover up more and whatnot.

kimmy

thanks :] i'll definately try a macy's. i don't know where there's a mac store near me, but i'm gonna have to look now
greengrin.gif

faithhopelove24

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiifugaziii
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE ANTHEM

I have a friend who works for mac macy's counter, and when I was going to apply for nordstroms, she said that it's a lot better to work/apply at a mac freestanding store, or a macy's counter. She said that nordstroms is a lot more conservative (with your looks/appearance) and you dont get paid as much there and you work for commissions. at the macys counters and the actual stores you get the company's min wage or higher and there's lots of counters that don't mind if you have crazy hair/tattoos/piercings.
that is what she told me, at least. but maybe that explains part of the appearance standards or whatev. You should apply at a store/ macy's counter!

this is so true i worked at a MAC store, and it's much less conservative, than our department stores counterparts. my friends tell me it's hard to express their individuality because of stricter standards. Try a free standing MAC store when you try again in a couple of months you may have more luck.... never give up!

HotPinkHeels

i work at a cosmetics counter in a department store in Australia and im the baby of the whole floor...and im almost 21!

Latest posts