This is how nerds roll...

fafinette21

So I'm a fourth year genetics student...and this morning I was proctoring a horribly early 2nd year genetics exam. I was glancing through the exam and remembering fondly how I actually enjoyed (yep I said enjoyed) second year genetics classes and exams because they were all problem solving questions and I loved working my way to a solution.

So...here it is on a Saturday night, I have nothing better to do...so what am I doing? Yep I'm doing genetics problems...for fun. Really makes you realize...wow I'm a keener.

And that's it. Feel free to mock.
lol.gif

ashk36

Well hey, props to you! I wish I could find something I'm that interested in and passionate about!

Little Addict

haha ... the same thing basically happens to me all the time.
I try to clean out my room and then find old tests, then start yelling at myself since the problems are so easy now. lol

.Ice

hell I wish I could bring myself to buy an Organic Chemistry book & just start reading it
blink.gif

NutMeg

Heh. I find myself taking those online personality tests and getting angry and re-writing the questions in my head, or figuring out which rule they violate. Or trying to figure how the premise of the test relates to the famous psychologist who supposedly wrote it.

Mabelle

That's awesome, it's nothing to poke fun at! It means you will actually love your job, that it won't just be a source of income! Unfortunately, far too few people feel that way about their careers.

frankenkitty71

Oh, yeah? Well how 'bout this...I LOVE BACTERIA!!! I am a microbiologist and my job is to take a swab of a wound or infection from a patient, grow it up and identify it to genus and species, and then test it against several dilutions of different antibiotics to see which drugs will help the patient heal. Sounds like a party right
smiles.gif
And to top it off, when bacteria metabolize "food" they produce gas...farty smelling gas! I don't even smell it any more. Geek or not, scientific studies lead to fruitful employment. People never stop getting sick and research/development companies are always looking for that next silver bullit. Congratulations, you will be successful!!!

chocolategoddes

I've spent hours reading my anatomy/physiology book. Don't feel bad.
It's the nerds, geeks, and smart people who make it far in life.

fafinette21

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenkitty71
Oh, yeah? Well how 'bout this...I LOVE BACTERIA!!! I am a microbiologist and my job is to take a swab of a wound or infection from a patient, grow it up and identify it to genus and species, and then test it against several dilutions of different antibiotics to see which drugs will help the patient heal. Sounds like a party right
smiles.gif
And to top it off, when bacteria metabolize "food" they produce gas...farty smelling gas! I don't even smell it any more. Geek or not, scientific studies lead to fruitful employment. People never stop getting sick and research/development companies are always looking for that next silver bullit. Congratulations, you will be successful!!!

God E.coli smells lol way too many labs spent plating that bad boy. Your job sounds incredibly interesting! Fingers crossed I will find my glorious career after graduation
smiles.gif

Oh I just remembered...those bioengineers who created recombinant strains of E. coli that smelled like mint or bananas. Genius!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolategoddes
I've spent hours reading my anatomy/physiology book. Don't feel bad.
It's the nerds, geeks, and smart people who make it far in life.

So true! I actually have an interview for my top Master's program next week, it's a Master's in Biotechnology and I am incredibly nervous lol

frankenkitty71

Are you kidding? E. coli that smells good? Dear God please let it get into the general population
smiles.gif
Did you ever do a lab where you splice in a gene to make the E.coli turn blue? I got that once in a urine culture from a sick patient?! What the heck were they doing??? (he he)

fafinette21

Quote:
Are you kidding? E. coli that smells good? Dear God please let it get into the general population
smiles.gif
Did you ever do a lab where you splice in a gene to make the E.coli turn blue? I got that once in a urine culture from a sick patient?! What the heck were they doing??? (he he)

Hmm I don't remember doing anything like that! It's always transformation experiments and things like that. Only thing blue I remember is blue plaque formation after infection with phages.

Haha! What an odd result...lol

.Ice

Quote:
smiles.gif

lmao!

kaliraksha

It's alright... I've done far worse on Saturday nights.... I won't even get into the random geekiness or nerdiness that I seem to be a magnet for in my life. Congrats on being a nerd!

frankenkitty71

Omg! I'm so jealous you got to work with phages! I saw a documentary about using phages to kill super resistant organisms! The phages weren't FDA approved so the patient had to go to Russia to get treatment. The lab they showed looked like it was from the 50's. All of their flasks and beakers were glass(that they autoclaved and used again) and they were using gauze or cheese cloth to strain liquids?! I can tell you the time has come where the bacteria have become more resistant than every antibiotic ever created! I just saw in the news that a 20 yr. old model in good health died of a Pseudomonas aeruginosa infection. If we don't find a new antibiotic soon the next step will be phages
smiles.gif
Thank you for telling me about your studies! Good luck on your Masters interview! Best Wishes!!

Jinni

I think that's great
smiles.gif

I've got a master in chemistry and chemical engineering, and I love my job. I'm actually looking forward to going to work. It's great to feel like that.

Latest posts