Tips on making more $$?

GalleyGirl

I currently work for a non-profit and I love what I do - however, the low pay is seriously killing me, especially since I live in Ca where rents are sky-high, even in the not-so-great areas. I don't want to leave my job just yet (I have to stay at least a year, which will be in June), and anyway, jobs in my field are not easy to find. I was thinking of maybe getting something part-time and moonlighting (which other employees here do), but I can't think of anything (Before someone brings it up, stripping is not an option, my boobs are too small :p)...I don't know, any ideas, advice, inspiration? Its so hard to choose your dream path when you know that you could be doing something else and making so much more money. Thanks for listening.

kaliraksha

I bet you have some skills to offer on a contract basis. Things like computer help, art skills, etc? You can post ads and the such and make a pretty decent spending money allowance. I hated it, but I offered my cleaning services once. It went pretty awesome- this guy was so totally neat and was usually out of town and loaded... I cleaned his apartment once a week and it took me about 3 hours and he paid me 100 dollars with 20 dollar tips every once in a while. I seriously saw him physically twice- the first time, second time to give me a key. Everything else was email communication/phone calls. He just left me a check on the counter. Easy spending money every week.

Also though, I understand what you are saying about your dream path... I feel like I will take a job where I make enough money to support or enjoy the things that I feel passionate about. However, that is a personal choice everyone has to make- and I understand wanting to go the other route of working in the area you love. I want to make enough money to begin investing and establish myself and then maybe work for my dream path.

Good luck, goodness knows I understand needing money for MAC. I haven't purchased any since the Danse collection in an attempt to save money for my last tuition payment.

Bernadette

What about freelancing for a makeup line? Other than that I would keep checking Craig's List part-time section, maybe you can at least get some ideas there
smiles.gif

Beauty Mark

Craig's list has some great data entry type jobs. I do them on occasion.

Where are you, exactly? I'm also fan of participating in research studies. They can pay pretty decently for basically doing nothing. Baby/petsitting and tutoring are all good options that pay well. If you did well on the SATs, you could tutor that. Those jobs pay very well from what I remember.

GalleyGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty Mark

Where are you, exactly? I

Los Angeles, so I'm sure I can find something if I look hard enough.
Thanks for these ideas guys, its really helping!

Beauty Mark

I bet UCLA runs some kind of tests. You don't have to be ill to participate, either. I imagine you have a car; sometimes older or disabled people need someone to run errands for them.

It isn't the greatest job, but paper routes are an option, too. I know someone who used that money to help with med school loans.

You could always try taking snapshots of celebrities to sell to magazines
winks.gif

MsCuppyCakes

You should put together an ad - part-time assistant, list your skills and hours available for Craig's list. I live in Los Angeles and people always need an assistant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalleyGirl
I currently work for a non-profit and I love what I do - however, the low pay is seriously killing me, especially since I live in Ca where rents are sky-high, even in the not-so-great areas. I don't want to leave my job just yet (I have to stay at least a year, which will be in June), and anyway, jobs in my field are not easy to find. I was thinking of maybe getting something part-time and moonlighting (which other employees here do), but I can't think of anything (Before someone brings it up, stripping is not an option, my boobs are too small :p)...I don't know, any ideas, advice, inspiration? Its so hard to choose your dream path when you know that you could be doing something else and making so much more money. Thanks for listening.

Latest posts