To my Desi/South Asian sisters out there! And everyone else too, actually! :)

LatteGoodness

So I'm a relative newbie here
noob.gif
and I am just soaking up all this cool information on makeup! Some people on here are so knowledgeable, I am in awe.

Anyway, my question is for all you South Asian decent gals (or guys, whichever!) Do ya'll use bronzer? If so, what type? I'm NC40 and I've tried a few Clinque and MAC bronzers, and I end up looking like I've stayed out in the sun too long, and not in a good way either.

Also, what type of eyeshadow colors look best on our skin tones... I've got light brown/hazel eyes, so from what I've seen so far, I look good in browns, bronzes, golds, purples and pinks. Blues and greens are ok too.. Haven't really strayed from that, though I want to!

And what do you think about eye liner? Do you prefer lining your lower waterline, or does going just below the lashline work for ya'll? I look like a messed up clown if I do that... my eyes just look weird.
th_dunno.gif

Anyhoo, this post is just to see what all is popular amongst us, what looks good, what doesn't, etc. And to the people who aren't South Asian: if ya'll have any input, it's very welcome!!

RaynelleM

Welcome!! I’m Indian – Goan and I’d definitely like to know what other S. Asian girls are using too!!

I’m C40 in studio fix, I think that’s a little darker than NC40 but I’m not sure! But I do use bronzer throughout the year, I’ve used the L’oreal glam one and now I use MAC’s Refined Deeper Bronze. I usually layer it over blush and only on the tops of my cheeks, temples, bridge of my nose and a little on my chin. Try using a lighter hand when applying it and only put a little on the brush. That way you can build the colour up to where it looks natural!

As for eyeshadow, I use any and every colour. I especially love bright blues, teals & greens as well as orange, red, yellow, purple & pink. I figure since I have a deeper skin tone I can pull off bright colours that may look clownish on most. My eyes are a very dark brown though so I’m not sure how some colours might look with lighter eyes but I guess you can experiment … go to MAC and just try on some colours that you’ve never used!! You can even use a bright colour as a liner if you’re not comfortable using it over the whole lid.

I do line my waterline, everyday, which is supposedly bad for the eyes but I feel my eyes look unfinished if I don’t. I only line under the lower lashline for my night time looks and usually with the eyeshadow colours the I have on my lids, it just makes it look nice & dramatic!! I used to think I looked bad when I first started doing it too mostly bc my under-eye area is darker than the rest of my face (I know a lot of SA girls have this problem!!) but now I use a pencil brush to get it as close to the lashline as possible so it not a thick line of colour. You could even try using a fluidline with a small angled brush so u get a thin, precise line.

Another thing that I have just started experimenting with is bright lipsticks & glosses bc I usually only use light or nude colours. So far, I tried a bright red that I really liked and my sister bought me Up the Amp (MAC) on the w/end, it’s a bold lavender and very different from anything I’ve ever used on my lips. I love it!!

What lip colours do you wear LatteGoodness?

Flammable

Great post, LatteGoodness! I'm NC42 with yellow undertones. I use bronzer every now and then. I usually use Laguna from the NARS Orgasm/Laguna duo. I like to use a slanted blush brush to swipe it around my hairline, under my chin, sides of my nose with a light hand and then I use a kabuki brush to buff it in. I feel this adds definition to the face. I don't know if there is a better way of doing it?

I always line my waterline. It's second nature. I line the lower lashline when I am going for a more dramatic look. I love MAC smolder,engraved, tarnished, teddy, blooz, hyacinth, powersurge, prunella to name a few.

I have brown eyes and like to experiment with shadows. I have a gazillion MAC shadows and pigments. My favorites are- sushi flower, embark, sketch, hepcat, beautymarked, cranberry, nocturnelle, parfait amour, knight divine, deep truth, plumage, shimmermoss, humid, greensmoke, amberlights, mulch, antiqued, coppering, haux and black tied (again, to name a few).
greengrin.gif

Fave pigments- blue green, copper, blue brown, old gold, gold stroke, pink bronze, rose, dark soul, entremauve, violet. I just wish I had more control when applying pigments and sometimes they seem to disappear when I put them in the crease. Perhaps I should be using mixing medium?

I am not really a gloss girl, so here are my favorite MAC lipsticks- mousse slimshine, prudeux slimshine, rougette mattene, strawbaby (LE), instinctive(LE), del rio, plumful, hot tahiti, spice it up, rebel, dubonnet, sheer plum and touch.

I think the best brands (dept. store) for South Asian girls are MAC and NARS. I also like Vincent Longo lipsticks.
smiles.gif

LatteGoodness

Well thanks for ya'll's responses!

I have another question about the bronzers... does it give you that "JLo" glow that everyone desires? I wonder what a bronzer is for if you've already got a blush (which for my case is a brownish-peach color.. got it at MAC the other day, and it's at home, hence I can't tell you the exact name.) I mean I guess I could just use my blush as bronzer... but I'd be lookin like I just had a hot flash LOL!

I have heard a lot about Orgasm by Nars bronzer, definitely have to check that out next time I'm at Sephora...

As for lip colors... dang it, all my makeup's at home, so I can't name specific color names, but I like brownish-reds for the most part... I do like glosses more than lip sticks, as I like the shiny look and it doesn't feel as heavy. Ooh, but I am in love with DuWop's lip venom gloss... it is awesomeness!!! I have it in a color that is discontinued, but I will get it in another color when I run out... I use it sparingly now as it is.

And another question: do you guys prefer threading or tweezing? Do you do it yourself, or at the salon?

nooeeyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatteGoodness
Well thanks for ya'll's responses!

I have another question about the bronzers... does it give you that "JLo" glow that everyone desires? I wonder what a bronzer is for if you've already got a blush (which for my case is a brownish-peach color.. got it at MAC the other day, and it's at home, hence I can't tell you the exact name.) I mean I guess I could just use my blush as bronzer... but I'd be lookin like I just had a hot flash LOL!

I have heard a lot about Orgasm by Nars bronzer, definitely have to check that out next time I'm at Sephora...

As for lip colors... dang it, all my makeup's at home, so I can't name specific color names, but I like brownish-reds for the most part... I do like glosses more than lip sticks, as I like the shiny look and it doesn't feel as heavy. Ooh, but I am in love with DuWop's lip venom gloss... it is awesomeness!!! I have it in a color that is discontinued, but I will get it in another color when I run out... I use it sparingly now as it is.

And another question: do you guys prefer threading or tweezing? Do you do it yourself, or at the salon?

Girl, let me tell ya, never limit yourself as far as colors. I used to be terrified of wearing colors on my face. But now, you cant stop me. I have this Red Crimson like hair so I always thought eyeshadows would clash with my hair and I would look stupid. Now, it's all about what I feel as oppossed to being concerned with what other people think about my hair. What I started doing is wearing color little by little to get out of my comfort zone. You would be suprised how many compliments you will get. I have learned that when people say, they dont like make-up it secretely means they dont like Make Up worn the wrong way. But being a makeup lover I have learned there is no right or wrong way. There are no rules. As a woman of color I urge you to embrace your make up choices. There are so many colors you can wear on your face, its crazy. You can always mix bronzer with a blush. Thats what I do. I wear color on my face every day. I love love love MAC's Format and Ambering Rose. When I wanna wear something less I use this limited edition Bronzer I got from Revlon with lil gold dots in it called Raizen Spice. I love NARS blush TAOS. Did I mention, I love it.

As for tweezing or threading. I love love threading. I think its great and wanna kiss the person that DOES EM' RIGHT!!! cause I love an arch. As for me after being a victim on more than one occasion of getting jacked up eyebrows, I opt to do it myself. I spoke to a Make Up artist who suggested to me limiting the amount of times I wax my brows to no more than once a month. So now, I wax em once a month and just tweez em with my trusty Revlon tweezers I've had for YEARS.

RaynelleM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatteGoodness
I have another question about the bronzers... does it give you that "JLo" glow that everyone desires? I wonder what a bronzer is for if you've already got a blush

I was looking for something to give me that golden glow as well and the MA at MAC suggested Warmed MSF (I was thinking of getting Golden Bronzer but she said it would be too light and wouldn’t show up on me), which I bought yesterday so I have yet to use it but she put some on my face and it did look quite "glowy".

IMO a bronzer is supposed to give you that sun-kissed look like you spent some time in the sun, whereas a blush just adds some colour to your cheeks. So while a blush goes right on your cheeks, a bronzer should go wherever the sun would naturally hit your face ... tops of the cheeks, nose etc. Plus there are certain colours of blush that just wouldn't work as a bronzer … for eg. a bright pink bc you wouldn’t naturally turn pink after being in the sun!! (unless you got burnt!!)

I usually wax once in awhile and tweeze by myself in between … I have gotten threading done before but I didn’t really like the result plus waxing is just so much quicker and less painful (for me!!).

LatteGoodness

So! Update... went to the mall yesterday and saw some bronzers... the MUA at MAC told me that some people layer bronzers on top of blushes so that it doesn't look as harsh... didn't really see one I liked though.
th_dunno.gif

Then I went to Sephora and tried out Nars' bronzer in Orgasm. It was way too pink and I think I'd have to use a lot for it to even show up. Couple that with the price, and yeah, it didn't take long for me to walk away.

Anyway, will continue on my quest of bronzers, I'm sure I'll find one that looks good on me eventually!

Oh yeah, and while at MAC, I got e/s in Trax and Coppering... they looked very nice on my skintone, I was proud of myself!!
thmbup.gif
And I was on a role, so I got a eyelash curler from Sephora... do you guys have a problem with teeny tiny eyelashes? From people's FOTDs, it seems like I'm alone on this one... ah well.

Also, for those with a tannish, brown skin color (in case people not SA are reading this), is it prudent to use brow colors that are black like the eyebrow hairs, or dark brownish? I've tried black, and I end up looking like I have caterpillers above my eyes.. guess I get carried away lol.. that or my application of it sucked, hehe!

LatteGoodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaynelleM
I usually wax once in awhile and tweeze by myself in between … I have gotten threading done before but I didn’t really like the result plus waxing is just so much quicker and less painful (for me!!).

Oh yeah, and I got threaded in India... they did a decent enough job, though afterwards, I was bleeding all over the place, and it looked horrible with all the teeny scabs... yikes! I stick to tweezing on my own now...

S.S.BlackOrchid

Hello!

I'm South Indian too (Kerala), so this was a fun thread to read. I have nc42 skin, black hair and dark, reddish-brown eyes.

I like to use bronzer instead of blush sometimes, and I use it in the hollows of my cheeks.

I like use pink, gold, champagne, peach, lime green, mint, purple/plum, navy, bronze and black eyeshadows. Eyeshadows with too much red in them just look wierd on me.

I like to line my lower lashline with gel liner, but on most days I just do winged liner on my top lid and put a touch of dark shadow on the outer corner of my lash line (I use Sonia Kashuk's smudge brush for this).

ohsosparkly

I'm SA too-Gujarati with NC 42 skin. (well, now it seems I'm C6!)
Let's see----
I use bronzer on top of blush for more of a 'glowy' look. I know this is a MAC forum but I've had good luck with Laura Mercier bronzer and her pink and coral color quads and mosaics. A MA told me to swipe and then buff the bronzer in the shape of 'check mark' on top of the blush.

Eyeshadows: greens (Fiction, Sumptuous Olive, Club, Patina, Juxt, Humid), blues (Knight Devine, Flashtrack, Deep truth, Aquadisiac, Delft paint pot), bronzes and oranges (Firespot, Gorgeous Gold), purples (Trax, cranberry, Nocturnelle, Star Violet), neutrals (The warm quad for smoke signals is a MUST HAVE).

Eyeliner: I 'tightline' and love the polished and finished look this gives me. My eyes are slightly downturned, so I wing up my eyeliner on my top lid.
If I'm going out I will smudge in a little into my lower lids. I've got dark circles so I try not to do this too much--it makes them look darker
ssad.gif
I use Carbon, Beauty Marked, Deep Truth for a softer line.

lipsticks: Mystic, Spice it up, Paramount, Sharp Beige, Dubonnet
lipglass: Oh Baby, Viva Glam V, Pop Mode
non mac lipglosses: LORAC Da Bomb, Too Faced: Billionaire Boyfriend

I'm sure there's more but can't remember now.

oh and definitely threading for brows. But I'm a glutton for pain--I get my whole face threaded!

aziajs

Ooooh.. I am so glad you started this thread. I would love to see more representation from Desi/South Asian.

Abhayah15

ok so i just joined and i never really post but im indian and i think a NC42 and i got the iridescent loose powder in golden bronze awhile ago from MAC and i absolutely LOVE it! i got so many compliments on how glowy my skin looked but no one even thought it was the makeup i had on so i def suggest you give this a try!

Eemaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhayah15
ok so i just joined and i never really post but im indian and i think a NC42 and i got the iridescent loose powder in golden bronze awhile ago from MAC and i absolutely LOVE it! i got so many compliments on how glowy my skin looked but no one even thought it was the makeup i had on so i def suggest you give this a try!

i 2nd this. im pakistani nc40 and this is lovely used with the 182 and blended upwards.

i also love warmed msf with lightscapade over it for a subtle glow

LatteGoodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eemaan
i 2nd this. im pakistani nc40 and this is lovely used with the 182 and blended upwards.

i also love warmed msf with lightscapade over it for a subtle glow

Oooh, I will definitely try this next! Thanks you guys!

Flammable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhayah15

do you put it all over your face?

Abhayah15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flammable
do you put it all over your face?

no its way too concentrated to put all over your face...i use it more like a highlight...i use a small blush brush or a buffer brush and put a TINY bit on the lid and tap it on my cheeks and blend it up the sides towards my temples...also put a small bit on your nose and blend it towards your cheeks...sometimes i put some on my jawline too which defines it more but i mostly put it on my cheeks and nose!...cant live without it!
drools.gif

GlamYOURUs

All of the above with more emphasis on the kohl rimmed eyes. Most of our eyes are almond shaped or round. So black rimmed eyes make our eyes stand out even more.

Also, our options are limitless imo. We can experiment with a lot of colors.

Bronzer is good to a degree. Since most of us do have a bronzed or sunkissed look we don't want to over do it. We have that special tan and I think if we bronze our cheeks just slightly, a lil on the nose and forehead blended, it will look fabulous. A lil goes a long way.

What can I say about eye liner? lol Kajal is a must. I say experiment with all types of color and smokey eyes with black or brown liner around the eyes to give that soft bedroom look.

Lipstick and lipgloss all depends on your skintone tbh and how it will suit you and your personality. I used to be just a lipgloss girl but I have branched out and now I can't stop buying MAC lipsticks. That is all I buy because they have a wide range of colors that suits us desi women. Expand your horizons when it comes to choosing lipsticks. Don't just stick to one color like rust, burgundy or red. We can also wear pink, purples, and orange!

Now lastly, eye shadows! The same can be said with eye shadows. Its good to try out new colors than to sticking to the norm. A lot of you suggest good colors but the thing is to take those colors and use them differently each time. Browns are always going to look good but how about taking those brown shadows and using blue with them? Or pink?

Hope that helps my friend!

Pushpa

i never really post anymore but what the hell

being nc40 means there really are no limits when it comes to colors i am in love with hipness blush from mac right now (on a side note)

orgasm is a blush by nars not a brozer so you wouldn't want to put that all over.... taj mahal by nars is a really pretty blush on darker skintones coppertone by mac is another blush i adore

refined golden bronzer is what i use it's deeper than golden and looks tons better on

layering bronzer over blush gives the skin the nicest effect imo when it comes to bronzer use... someone said golden bronzer is hot and i second this
smiles.gif

anjdes

Great thread!

I'm NC43 and I feel , technically, I should be able to pull off most eyeshadow colours (that I don't, and usually stick to browns, is another story!!).

I use MAC Bronzing Powder in Bronze - works well for me. Especially when teamed with Peachykeen blusher.

I agree with you on lining the lower eyelids - I can never pull that off. My daughter, of all people, points out I look 'mean' when I line my lower eyelids :-(

Lipsticks - oh I love Dubonnet, Twig and Rozz Revival from MAC and Chocolate Raspberry from Clinique.

The one look I'm dying to nail is a soft pink-grey eye and light lips, inspired by the Indian actress Rani Mukherjee in some old Titan watch ads . Couldn't find any pictures, just this video on YouTube YouTube - Rani Mukherjee in Titan Watches I think she looks fab. Any ideas on products?

neeshie

Hi!

I'm NC42-45, depending on season. I love colours on my eyes - but don't really like pinks/reds/ oranges/ yellows. Blue and green are my faves.

I've done a version of that pink and grey eye you're looking for.
I don't really think pinks look that great on me, so i use something with a bit of brown in the pink such as flirty number or innuendo eyeshadsows or mauvement pigment. I use knight divine to give it a smoky look - but if you want a softer colour try silver ring maybe?
Then of course eyeliner and lots of mascara.

Lips, I would go with any YLBB lipstick or gloss - can't think of any right now.

Latest posts