Too obese to bear the consequences of the breaking the law...?

sedated_xtc

I came across an article that stirred something in me. The article was about how an Ohio man that killed 2 women, ate his last meal and everything; then on the day of his execution, he says that it's inhumane for him to be put to death since he's too fat for people to be able to find his veins for the injections.

Inmate executed after Supreme Court rejects obese argument - CNN.com

[Note: I'm not trying to raise any hostility and I apologize if I step on anybody's toes in this discussion; just wanted to share some thoughts on the subject and hear what other people have to say.]

I'm on the fence when it comes to capital punishment.

On one hand, I'm thinking "who are we to decide whether or not a person should die based on their crimes?" It's sort of the belief that it's wrong for somebody to put somebody else to death, a false sense of self-righteousness and perpetuity of injustice imo. And then there's always the possibility of false accusations.

However, on the other hand, when I think of specific cases and people, some cases just make me so angry. If I support capital punishment, (imo I think my thinking in this case is radical) the only way that it's actually done "right" (for lack of a better word), would be to have whatever was done, be done unto whoever committed the crime. I had a talk with my mom about this and she brought up the question of who should do it then since it could be really heinous and the only thing that came to mind is other criminals on death row. But then again, none of this would really be any consolidation for the victims and merely provides a sense of "justice".

What do you guys think?

leenybeeny

I'm not sure what this really has to do with the man being overweight....

But that being said, if someone decides to be an executioner, that is their choice.. no one is making them do it. Because of all the legalities around it, there is no way that another inmate could do it.

kimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by leenybeeny
But that being said, if someone decides to be an executioner, that is their choice.. no one is making them do it.

there are actually extremely long waiting lists at almost every prison to be an executioner.

Simply Elegant

That just disgusts me that so many people want to do that. How depressing. I don't agree at all with capital punishment but his reason for not doing it is ridiculous. I think he was just grabbing at strings to get away from it.

kimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply Elegant
That just disgusts me that so many people want to do that. How depressing. I don't agree at all with capital punishment but his reason for not doing it is ridiculous. I think he was just grabbing at strings to get away from it.

executions are done by prison guards, so you kind of have to take into consideration what they deal with on a daily basis. that does something to people.

Beauty Mark

I think being obese is such a copout. I'm sure it's tragic for people who fear needles to be sentenced to death by injection, too, or if I would be sentenced to death (I have small veins).

And if he's too damn fat, the jail should've cut back and gave less food to him. He had one hell of a last dinner, better than what a lot of poor families in this country will eat tonight. They may save themselves money not giving a person in jail a T-bone steak and a bunch of extra food. I'm not saying feed them gruel, but that's crazy to me

*Stargazer*

You know what I think is inhumane?

Quote:
There the students were subjected to a three-and-a-half-hour period of rape, torture, stabbings and fatal bludgeonings. Cooey carved an "X" into the stomachs of both women, prosecutors said.

That POS had some gall to talk about inhumane.

TISH1124

You know what...I will accept all hate mail ....But if you can take a life for no apparant reason..you should be willing to give yours...If they can't find your veins through the obese wrist and arms......I will gladly come and help them find the right spot too slit your throat at!

OfficerJenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by TISH1127
You know what...I will accept all hate mail ....But if you can take a life for no apparant reason..you should be willing to give yours...If they can't find your veins through the obese wrist and arms......I will gladly come and help them find the right spot too slit your throat at!

Or inject it in their tongue >:c

although I think the death penalty is extremely harsh and inhumane, it is generally done to inhumane people, so I find that a justified reason to use it.

laguayaca

Quote:

I am totally behind you I cant believe they WASTED our tax money on trials like this obviously crap! If they want to act like animals, are proven to be animals by hard evidence, then they should be treated like animals!

Mabelle

im sorry, i dont believe sex offenders can be properly rehabilitated.
While i feel very conflicted about capital punishment, i think if anyone deserves it it's these A-holes (rapists and pedos). I really do believe in karma. I take comfort in knowing that at least for pedophiles, they dont have an easy stay in prison. A lot get murdered, or... well... they get to be someone's bitch.
This guy getting sentences to death is just karama... if you ask me he was getting off light. What he and his buddy did to those two women is DISGUSTING, and there he is, sitting in prison for about 20 years, getting fat off tax payers money. It sickens me.
Being too fat is the worst cop out ive ever heard.

jdechant

^^ Agreed!! Eye for an eye...iI don't feel its "inhumane". Whats inhumane is the victims to these heartless bastards....I can't even believe he would try arguing the whole "you can't find my veins because I'm too obese!" I would of been like, "well then where's my axe??"

banjobama

Quote:

You said it. I also will accept hate mail! I'm pro death penalty and pro choice. Someone who does something like that guy did no longer has rights at all, in my eyes. Like someone else posted, I don't believe that sex offenders can be fully rehabilitated, something is wrong with them, and it kind of proves it that in his sick brain, getting fat would be enough to escape the death penalty, and calling his jailers inhumane would get him some kind of sympathy.

Imagine how much more money teachers could get paid, for instance, if sick, fucked up men like this one weren't fed, clothed, and housed for absolutely no reason. I'm not religious but if there is a hell, that guy is in it.

purrtykitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by laguayaca
I am totally behind you I cant believe they WASTED our tax money on trials like this obviously crap! If they want to act like animals, are proven to be animals by hard evidence, then they should be treated like animals!

Comparing "things" like that to animals is an insult to animals. And I fall on the side of an eye for an eye, so in my mind, this a$$hole got off easy by just being executed.

Simply Elegant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmy
executions are done by prison guards, so you kind of have to take into consideration what they deal with on a daily basis. that does something to people.

Yeah, I know they do probably become more cynical about people, but it still doesn't take away from how I feel about so many people wanting to do it.

The ironic thing is that capital punishment usually ends up being more pricey because it takes so long for it to happen, appeals etc.

I have no sympathy for him but I don't believe an eye for an eye either.

xxAngelxx

I am totally for capital punishment. People like him are terrible, horrible, awful, inhumane pieces of shit and the world is a better off place without them. What this asshole did to those women was inhumane. And him being "too obese" is such a stupid cop-out.

sedated_xtc

I'm jsut baffled that the issue of it being inhumane was that he would be unable to receive the anesthetic for it...I don't really see why they think there would be a "humane" method of capital punishment, know what I'm saying? But that's the side of me that supports capital punishment talking.

sharkbytes

Can you imagine the ramifications if this jerk wound up getting his way? All you'd have to do is fatten up a little bit, and know that any crime you committed wouldn't be enough to have you sentenced to death. It's a dangerous idea.

panther27

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrtykitty
Comparing "things" like that to animals is an insult to animals. And I fall on the side of an eye for an eye, so in my mind, this a$$hole got off easy by just being executed.

Agreed.Animals are far superior to them.

Beauty Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedated_xtc
I'm jsut baffled that the issue of it being inhumane was that he would be unable to receive the anesthetic for it...I don't really see why they think there would be a "humane" method of capital punishment, know what I'm saying? But that's the side of me that supports capital punishment talking.

I'm not sure 100% how I feel about capital punishment (if it were fairly distributed, I'd be more for it), but I think an injection, compared to what he did to those women, is very humane, even if they had to prick him a bunch of times to find a vein. Even a public beheading would probably be more humane.

Regardless of how one feels about the death penalty and this particular man, it's one of the craziest and most desperate attempts to get off death row.

Latest posts