Too Young to Talk About Photoshopping

x-ivy

I have no clue if this is in the right place or not, so be my guest to move it
smiles.gif

So, a few weeks ago my friend got the Seveteen issue with America Frerrea on the cover and when I asked her to read it in math class I was kinda disappointed with it before even opening it up and reading it. To me, the picture of her is obviously photoshoped and as I read the article, some of her pictures there look photoshopped as well. Now when I was looking through it, I mentioned it to my friend she just replied with, "Oh w/e she looks prettier." Yeah, I was kinda just stunned for a sec, and responed with, "How the hell could you say that!"

I just feel sometimes like I'm the only one out of my peers that think about that kind of stuff and how very sad it is. It's like what we talk about in health class; they're desensitized to it, and it's sad. I'd hate to think that when we all grow up, the problem doesn't get any better because they didn't care for it now in this time. I can only imagine what it would lead to...if you think anorexia and bulimia are bad now...just wait...
ssad.gif

Now maybe I think about this stuff more than the average teenager because I've had (and sometimes still having) problems with body image and self-esteem, but I don't think that's what should get the wheels to start turning in your head about this stuff. Like look at these magazie covers:
Speak Up: Photoshopped Faith Hill | faith hill, jezebel, magazine covers | FitSugar - Fitness, Health & Well-Being.

Ashlee Simpson Photoshopped beyond all recognition - StyleList Blog

Kelly Clarkson on cover of Elle Mag » Right Celebrity

Ok, I just felt like ranting on this topic..it just really annoys me and leaves me feeling totally alone when I'm trying to relate to my friends on deeper levels, and it seems like they don't have anything past boys, parties, boys and more parties.
th_dunno.gif

Done
rant.gif

florabundance

I get u completely. In some ways i am desensitized to it, because i never really question images on magazine covers/pictorials, i just buy what i buy. On the other hand, subconsciously, i am sensitive to it, because often those images encourage me to eat a lot less than i probably should...Sad, but true

OfficerJenny

I don't see anything wrong with airbrushing and enhancing features of the models featured in magazines. I don't think it's necessary but I certainly don't find it gross, wrong, mean, asinine, or any other insult you can think of. Sometimes a model takes a not so hot picture.

Now I don't agree with slimming up a models face/body to make them more appealing. Especially in that faith hill shot. They made her look too too skinny, but I think what they did with her skin and hair colour is fine, it wasn't really altering it, just giving it an ethereal sort of look.

x-ivy

^ hmm, I understand what you're saying, cuz I've also thickened my hair, touched up my MU etc. for pics on facebook. But there is a certain line when minor touchups change the person's appearence all together. A small removal of a bump on a nose or birth mark alter that person's uniquness and I tink that's one of the things that bug me the most. I don't think slimming the look of someone's body is the only wrong thing a person can do on a magazine cover or advertisment. It's taking away the things that make a person who they are to look like everyone else.
I may have just repeated myself
th_dunno.gif
tong.gif

chocolategoddes

I guess I'm in that majority that is "desensitized" by it.

I think it's wrong when they take airbrushing to the extreme to the point where the person doesn't even look human, But there are certain things that can be manipulated in the photo to make it just look better and more appealing to the public.

At the end of the day, airbrushing is done to make the photo "prettier". When people see pretty things they want it and they buy the magazine. That's how the magazine makes money. They don't care if it makes 100 girls bulimic and suicidal.
CREAM.

k.a.t

The only thing that bothers me about airbrushing/manipulating pictures is when people think that's the actual real person and therefore that's what they should look like, i think THAT'S sad, i mean i think we should all be mature enough to realize that those pictures are for promotional purposes only; you're not going to want to buy that new eye cream if it's advertised by a puffy-eyed model =S - terrible examply but you get my drift lol

But i do understand what you're saying, i hate it when they photoshop someone so much that they no longer look like themselves and they just look plastic - i think that's actually kind of insensitive to the person (though they've obviously agreed to it), it's kind of like saying "you're too ugly" you know what i mean?

I don't mind making someone look more 'polished', i just don't agree with changing their appearance..if that makes sense =/

Latest posts