Travel Insurance

melliquor

I am going to the US in December for a month and want to get travel insurance in case i get sick there.

Can you recommend a really good one that you may have used before? I want something that covers cancellation, baggage, and high medical. The medical costs in the US are soooo expensive.

Thanks.

user79

Quote:
Originally Posted by melliquor
I am going to the US in December for a month and want to get travel insurance in case i get sick there.

Can you recommend a really good one that you may have used before? I want something that covers cancellation, baggage, and high medical. The medical costs in the US are soooo expensive.

Thanks.

No recommendations but good plan, usually travel insurance is cheap as chips and completely necessary! A lot of people don't buy travel insurance when they go abroad and then find themselves in a bit of a pickle is something happens. Usually a baggage insurance is a great idea too if something gets stolen or damaged while on vacation.

TISH1124

That is a good thought...Would your normal health insurance not cover your medical expenses if you got sick while travelling? I always thought mine did...This is interesting...Because I never thought about it...But will check into that today, Thanks!
Now I know when we purchase our tickets on our American Express they always offer insurance for our baggage...But we have only be abroad a couple of times.
Good Info!

kittykit

Have you tried to ask travel agencies like STA Travel? They usual have pretty good travel insurance packages. A lot of people don't buy insurance when they travel because they believe, 'Nah, it's not going to happen to me!'

user79

Quote:
Originally Posted by TISH1127
That is a good thought...Would your normal health insurance not cover your medical expenses if you got sick while travelling? I always thought mine did...This is interesting...Because I never thought about it...But will check into that today, Thanks!
Now I know when we purchase our tickets on our American Express they always offer insurance for our baggage...But we have only be abroad a couple of times.
Good Info!

If you only have basic insurance, in most countries expenses abroad are not covered, or only minutely. I have bought an additional benefits insurance that covers me for 6 weeks outside the country per year automatically. If I didn't have that and I had an accident while on vacation, I'd basically be in big shit. I always recommend travel insurance even if you're out of the country for one day because even if you have to be hopitalized for a single day, it can cost thousands of dollars! And if you get into a serious accident and have to be repatriated...well, then you're SOL basically. Best to call your insurance provider and find out exactly what they do and do not cover when abroad.

Oh also, some credit cards, depending on the type of card you have, offer some travel insurance. My experience with this though is that generally the coverage amount is very, very basic.

Shenanigans

I have international travel insurance through my work benefits (standard coverage), but not through provincial health care. I think I would have to purchase something extra if I wanted to insure my baggage though.

Latest posts