• As of January 16, 2018, all posts in this section are moderated. Please engage with the community within the rest of the forums, remembering that you may not post your own tutorial links outside this section. Also remember to put your content in the proper space.

Tutorials posted outside this space will be removed. If you post a tutorial in this space and you don't make an effort to participate in the community outside this section, your post will be deleted.

UDPP "Salvage" Tuttorial

supercelestine

Hello,

I'm not 100% sure if this "fits" in this section of the board, but I do think its educational.

After reading numerous threads about how much product is wasted and thrown out due to packaging, and after reading one of our fellow Specktra gals needed stitches while trying to open the package..I've decided to do a tut on how to SAFELY remove all of the trapped primer from the tube!

Enjoy and I hope this helps.

WHAT YOU WILL NEED:

"empty" UPDD tube
small jar or container
wire cutters

Step One:

Photo not shown, but you need your "empty" UDPP tube

Step Two:
Handy-Dandy Wirecutters (I think thats what these are called!
th_dunno.gif
)
step1.jpg

Step Three:

Using the wire-cutters, cut the tube in half at the skinnest most middle part of the tube.
step2.jpg

Step Four:
Bend the tube in half and pry the crimped tube open using the wirecutters
step3.jpg

Step Five:
Using the wirecutters again, cut vertically along the top and bottom parts of the tube.
step4.jpg

Step Six:
Once again, use the wirecutters along those vertical cuts to pry the tube open. (making extra room for your sweet digging and scooping skills)
step5.jpg

Step Seven:
Dig, scoop, giggle. repeat.
step6.jpg

Step Eight:
Put all of that salvaged primer (AKA your money!) into your shiney new container. I'm using one by MAC that has a screw lid.
step7.jpg

Step Nine:
Add Lid. Giggle. Put on Make-up and skip to the counter to reward yourself because now the money you WERE going to spend on another tube can be spent on another MAC shadow! Giggle. Ta-DAAAA!
Step8.jpg

Love,

Supercelestine
winkiss.gif

babiid0llox

Great tutorial! Just wondering, would any pieces of the tube be able to get into your remaining primer potion? As in like tiny broken pieces.?

RoseyPosey

I just bought UDPP for the first time and i had read on this board about people "wasting" it because you cant get anymore out so im super glab to come across this!

Could those little jars be bought at a craft store like Michael's you think?

ETA: about how much would you say you salvaged? was it dried up at all? will being in the little tub dry it out?

supercelestine

Quote:
Originally Posted by babiid0llox
Great tutorial! Just wondering, would any pieces of the tube be able to get into your remaining primer potion? As in like tiny broken pieces.?

Nope, and I know that it looks really mangled but honestly no plastic peices. You'll see when you try it
smiles.gif

supercelestine

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseyPosey
I just bought UDPP for the first time and i had read on this board about people "wasting" it because you cant get anymore out so im super glab to come across this!

ETA: about how much would you say you salvaged? was it dried up at all? will being in the little tub dry it out?

I think the little jars at mac were like 5.00 dollars. I'm pretty sure you can find them at the craft store as well, you just want to make sure you can seal it with a good lid becuase you dont want the primer to dry out.

smiles.gif

mysteryflavored

I did this on a fresh tube of UDPP and transferred it to a 0.5oz jar from Sally's. No plastic bits, and I used a knife to cut it open. Yay for beating the system!

M.A.C. head.

Girl I did the same thing! Except I just used a small knife *shrugs*

It worked fast and it was easy, no injuries.

My jaw was on the floor when I looked inside the severed tube and saw how much product was still left. I filled a whole jar full! For those of your wondering about how much, imagine a jar that's a little bit bigger than the size of a MAC eyeshadow. I don't know the measurements for it, but it was a BUTT LOAD of product, considering that I thought it was empty.

I actually really like having it in the jar. I apply my UDPP with my fingertip anyway so it's easy access.

ri0tdorque

I just wanted to extend my thank you oh so freakin much x1000 for this tutorial. After taking the entire bottle a part and scooping everything out I have not one but TWO MAC sample lids full of potion primer. Two! I'm beside myself with glee right now *happy dance*

And to think I was going to throw this out ~ crazy talk!

blindpassion

I lovvee doing this to my UDPP! I've done it three times now.
If you use a sharp knife and do two cuts (one just above the bump in the middle, and one where the bottle is the narrowest at the bottom, you will be able to get out all of the product. If you use a sharp knife you shouldn't get any stray pieces into your jar
smiles.gif

Use a knife like a steak knife or a fish knife, and it needs to be sharp.

cathyviolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseyPosey

I bought x10 of these jars (5 gram) from ebay for around £4. You should be able to find some on ebay.

C x

Kragey

You know, this may very well make UDPP worth it! I mean, I can actually see a full jar of product there...before, I was like, "Okay, this stuff is pretty good, but that little amount is NOT worth my $17!" I think I may have changed my mind.
winks.gif

MAC-Addict03

Thanks for the great and easy tutorial! Urban Decay also had me fooled into thinking there was a small amount in that $17 bottle! It's def worth the money now lol!

th_DANCE.gif
my happy dance!

Latest posts