UKers... where do you go to buy your mac?

cutandrun

I need a store/counter where the service is good and where the SA's are talented. I live near Brent Cross but I find that the service is really not that great, sometimes the SAs are kinda rude too. was thinking of maybe going to the pro store instead. Someone on mua mentioned the mac store on kensington church street, if anyone has been to either of these two places can you tell me what's it's like? Or if not, where do you go to buy your mac? TIA!

Pimptress

I went to the pro store in london last year and they were super nice. that's all i can add to this
smiles.gif

Pimptress

mac.jpg

it was SO glorious (and so cute on those little cute cobblestone london streets!) that I just *had* to take a picture!!!!! out of a group of 65 of us americans, i was the only one who wanted to go and i figured out my own way there and made a whole daytrip of it.

cutandrun

That photo's gonna be really useful, since I'm gonna try and find my way there tomorrow! I can't believe you were the only one that wanted to go in, ah well it's their loss I guess :p
Do you remember what shops were nearby? It's in a little lane right, which means I might walk pass it 10 times without noticing!

cloverette

hey, i was thinking of opening this thread a few days ago, too
lol.gif

i'm trying to find a nice MAC store where the MAs are friendly and helpful.

here's what i think so far:

* high street kensington: been there only once. it was quite empty, maybe cause it's a bit hidden. i quite like it, but i have to go there, again, to see if that will become *my* MAC store

* selfridges: i go there most of the times, cause it's the most convenient one. but i'm not too crazy about the MAs there. when i find *my* MAC store, i will stop going there. oh yeah, and there are always too many people there, too

* king's road: that's a really cute one. the MAs also seem to be nice and helpful. but it's a drag to get there. i take the bus after getting off at sloane square station

* carnaby street (PRO store): unfortunately, i don't think that will become *my* MAC. the MAs weren't as helpful/friendly as i would've hoped for. i only went twice, can't remember what it was like the first time, but the second time was so busy & i didn't really get much attention for my questions- maybe i went the wrong day (last saturday)?
HOW TO GET THERE: do you know where MISS SIXTY is in carnaby street? take the first left after you pass it, and you'll be walking the little road you see in the picture above.

anyway, i will have to go a few more times to high street kensington & king's road to decide which one of the two will become *my* MAC.

i would still consider the other MACs if anyone here can name me a good/nice/friendly/helpful MA...

Sarah

Personally my favourite is house of fraser counter at bluewater, a couple of the MA's aint over friendly but there are some really nice ones, its a pretty small counter but IMO one of the best ones i've been to for service/friendlyness etc my fave MA in there is Carly shes so nice always so helpful and has great ideas of how to use products etc, theres also another couple of really nice MA's in there with blonde hair but im unsure of there names.

The counter in Selfridges I wont ever return to unless im desperate the staff are unhelpful, its always so busy and once which was actually the last time I ever went in there was when I was trying to get Leasuiretime e/s from belle azure collection sadly my counter had run out by the time I decided I wanted it so I went to selfridges to pick one up, this was all I needed but ended up picking up another e/s and a couple of pencils but in the rudest way I was asked is that it? like I should be buying loads more. I was left stood at the till waiting to pay while to MA's were to busy talking amongst theirselves to serve me.

As for the pro store its nice enough and obviously theres things you can only buy in there but I dont often go there unless its for a PRO item, the staff are nice and not at all rude but I dont find them the most freindly and helpful which to me is important

House of fraser counter in the city (probably my nearest store) - well I went there for the first time a couple of weeks ago to pick up Naked you MSF *only counter that had any left* and I must say I was impressed, the counter was a nice one not to busy, nice size and helpful & friendly staff the only thing I dont like about it is its in the city and im not much of a fan of central London but I will probably be returning here again

If you need any help/directions with knowing how to get to the PRO store feel free to PM me
smiles.gif

cloverette

@ sarah

"House of fraser counter in the city"- where is that exactly? somehow i'm thinking that's by bank station, but i'm not sure :confused:
hm, i think that one might actually be the closest one to me, then!

oh, and how could i forget the MACs in covent garden & harvey nichols?!
* covent garden: i don't remember coming across a rude MA there. they're nice, friendly etc. nice atmosphere in the store, too!
* harvey nichols: quite small, somewhat busy. nothing special. i only go there if i'm in the area

so, i think for me it might be 1) high street kensington, 2) king's road, 3) covent garden, or 4) house of fraser in city (depending on where it is).

poddygirl

My closest counter is in Fenwicks at Brent Cross and there is one SA there who is a bit rude. I just meander around until someone else helps me
smiles.gif
I like HOF at Bluewater the best I think - gone to several events there and they were all really nice, helpful and fun. Selfridges Oxford St counter is way too hectic most of the time and because of that (and the location) I think the SAs there are a bit full of themselves
winks.gif
The ones at Harvey Nicks Knightbridge are really nice.

Sarah

Yep the one in the city is the one near bank station but you are better of leaving the station via Monument station as the house of fraser is next to the entrance/exit, its sign posted from the station what exit to take, its litrally as you go over London bridge and as you come to the end of the bridge its straight in front of you

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloverette
@ sarah

"House of fraser counter in the city"- where is that exactly? somehow i'm thinking that's by bank station, but i'm not sure :confused:
hm, i think that one might actually be the closest one to me, then!

oh, and how could i forget the MACs in covent garden & harvey nichols?!
* covent garden: i don't remember coming across a rude MA there. they're nice, friendly etc. nice atmosphere in the store, too!
* harvey nichols: quite small, somewhat busy. nothing special. i only go there if i'm in the area

so, i think for me it might be 1) high street kensington, 2) king's road, 3) covent garden, or 4) house of fraser in city (depending on where it is).

Sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by poddygirl
My closest counter is in Fenwicks at Brent Cross and there is one SA there who is a bit rude. I just meander around until someone else helps me
smiles.gif
I like HOF at Bluewater the best I think - gone to several events there and they were all really nice, helpful and fun. Selfridges Oxford St counter is way too hectic most of the time and because of that (and the location) I think the SAs there are a bit full of themselves
winks.gif
The ones at Harvey Nicks Knightbridge are really nice.

I feel annoyed now, I never know about the events at Bluewater I presumed they didnt have any
ssad.gif
ohh I love Mac events and only ever been to one, want to go to more they are just so fun
smiles.gif

Sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimptress
Can I PLEASE come live with one of you? I'll find a job and pay rent, I promise!

Are you in America?? if so i'll happily swap places with you haha I want out of London, I fell in love with the MAC stores over there
smiles.gif

cloverette

@ pimtress

why :confused: we have problems finding a decent MA here, whereas in the states, there seem to be LOADS of nice MAs!

Pimptress

We can just do a student exchange type of thing..... you can come visit me and stay in my house, if I can come visit you all and stay in your houses. And I'll even try not to be weird
greengrin.gif

modernclassics

The counter at Selfridges is waaay too crowded most of the time, and the MA's are often too busy to really spend time with any one customer I find. But if I'm feeling anti-social and don't feel like talking much, I go there to browse around. I just moved to the UK so that's the only MAC counter I've been to. How is the MAC store in Kingston?

cutandrun

Wow, thanks everyone for the feedback! Lol I thought this was only gonna get like three replies! Cloverette, thanks so much for the directions, I know where it is now! I might just go there to get some pro pigments. poddygirl my nearest counter is also brent cross, but I don't like it at all! So far I have met 2 nice ma's there, think one of them is a freelancer though, and the other one I don't think I have seen again. I agree with all of you that selfridges is way too busy, there is one girl there who's quite nice, her name's Marjorie I think, she's got an american accent.

I've been to the one in Convent Garden, I think they're quite nice there, but there was one ma who put chromeglass on me and when I said I thought it looked a bit weird she sounded a bit annoyed...

Harvey Nicks isn't bad, but I only went there looking at lipgloss, so I can't really say.

For me, I need the MAs to be friendly, but also to be talented. This is because when I went to Brent Cross, I asked the girl how to make my brown eyes stand out. I have small asian eyes, and the way she applied violet pigment on me just seemed weird. I have asked other MAC MAs this and they haven't been very helpful either!

On MUA someone recommended Kensington to me, apparently there is a man there who's always happy who's good? Lol. Tomorrow I am going to go to various MAC stores and will post comments on my experience, lol.

Are any of you guys friends with MAs, I wish I was, it would make things so much easier...

Latest posts