Using pigments to make nail polish / lacquer

FemmeNoir

How do you all use pigments in nailpolish? Do you pour the pigment into the bottle, or is there a different way. Thanks!

user2

Hmm why dont you just mix them into a clear nail polish....(never thought about it b/c I dont use any nail polish)

mac_obsession

Thats exactly how you do it. Or you can sprinkle a little on top of your wet polish. If you want a concentrated color thoug, mix it with clear, shake it up and use it
smiles.gif

(I got little nail polish bottles for that purpose)

FemmeNoir

What is the easiest way to put the pigment into the nailpolish? I can see myself making a mess.

Thanks!

Onederland

Quote:
Originally Posted by FemmeNoir
What is the easiest way to put the pigment into the nailpolish? I can see myself making a mess.

Thanks!

probably put the pigment on a piece of paper, and then make a point, and tap the paper so the pigment falls into the bottle.

singinmys0ng

i totaly forgot you can use pigments for just about everything! (kinda like crisco?) ..sounds like a new project

obsessed_girl07

I use a toothpick, kinda slow process but it works. ...make sure your nail polish has those beads in um, the pigments settle to the bottom and it's a bitch to mix up if doesn't have those bead thingie in it. (i threw in some BB gun pellets)

beautifulxdisaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed_girl07
make sure your nail polish has those beads in um

I always wonder why they put those things in them?!?! What is the use of it.

Chelsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulxdisaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed_girl07
make sure your nail polish has those beads in um

I always wonder why they put those things in them?!?! What is the use of it.

to shake em up

user2

those beads help you to mix the pigment in a better way (it has something to do with physics so dont ask me about that!)

mac_obsession

The beads help the molecules combine so that you're dealing with one element/item and not with 2 seperate elements/items. Without them the pigment will settle to the bottom of the nailpolish after time and will be really hard to remix.

Its actually basic chemistry
smiles.gif
(My dad was/is a chemist).
They use them in mixing medium as well, just two metal balls to help the ingredients latch on to each other
smiles.gif

Kristen

Pigments + Nails = ?

How does one use pigments as a nail polish.. I've heard you use it with clear nail polish. Are you supposed to add it to a bottle of nail polish? Press a layer of pigment onto wet polish? Thanks.

mac_obsession

You can add pigments to clear nail polish to create your own color. It is a good idea to use a jar of polish that has the little metal agitator pellet in it. If your polish does not have the agitator ball, you can use a small be-be or ball bearing, which you can generally find at craft stores or hobby shoppes. Using these metal balls allows you to continue to mix the two elements together.

You can also use pigments and glitters by sprinkling them over nail polish before it has dried.

Lo-Fi_Thriller

i love lustdust glitter with clear nail varnish. i layer it on over and over til i get golden nails mmmmm sexy

you just put any pigment or glitter with clear nail varnish. thats all and mix it really well

Kristen

I was helping to paint a mural today and may nails were caked in this awesome green paint.. so I wanted to paint my nails with a golden base and golden olive tips. I patted on some of the pigment.. it just seemed like it needed a LOT..

I'll go buy some mini bottles of nail polish and test out mixing tho. thanks

rouquinne

i don't use my Melon pigment for much other than my nails.

i buff the pigment on and seal it with a clear coat of polish.

glassjaw326

Pigments as nailpolish

Has anyone tried this? If so I would LOVE to see pics. I used Teal and kitchmas as nailpolish this past week and they were so pretty. Post your pics!

may_cup

I just did actually... I was coming here to post it, and voila I read your post! I added MAC's Pro Matte Orange pigment to an old wet n wild shimmering white-ish with almost a bluish hue in the right light (#434 if they still make it) nail polish, and i'm still shaking it up and mixing it like mad, but I am just LOVING the results thus far! Its almost like a redish orangey now, and my nails look like they're on FIRE! Its so awesome! I'm still going to shake it up and make sure its properly mixed etc before I take pictures, but if you want to see what it looks like let me know and I'll see if I can get it on my nails so it looks ok, and take a pic! :-D I am LOVING this! I might have to get more white nail polish to add it too! ooooooo and I can experiment with clear, and all kinds of things! new window... totally open! *so excited!* Its like Christmas came early.

~may_cup

Latest posts