visiting New york for first time.

missmacqtr

Good Morning,

how are you lovely ladies? i really miss you so much,but i'v been too busy with my new job
ssad.gif

well,i will be visting NY on October for the FIRST TIME
th_DANCE.gif
; with my husband and my two kids,and i read alot on the web but would be grateful if you can suggest me places to stay in and suits my young sons ,and places to go to have some fun.

I would really appreciate your help
smiles.gif

Thank you

Krasevayadancer

Re: visiting Newyork for first time.

Rockefeller Center, Statue of Liberty, Sony Wonder, FAO Schwarz,

So many places in general. Anything specific you wanted to see?

SuSana

I'm going in October too, so I'm going to keep checking this thread out
smiles.gif

NatalieMT

The last time I went to NYC was last August, it's a truly amazing place. I'm not really clued up on hotels round there but I stay in the Intercontinental Barclay - it's a really beautiful hotel, great location but quite pricey I will admit. But I save money by not eating at the hotel and getting food from this wonderful deli adjacent to the hotel entrance. I take the food back to my room and often just watched some tele whilst I ate.

I think if this is you're first trip you should definitely go on the Staten Island ferry and go up the Statue of Liberty - you can't go the full way up anymore but still a great view and a nice experience. The Rockefeller Center is also amazing, the lift to the top is pretty cool and then again some really awesome views from the outside viewing area especially on a clear day. I would say go up the Rockefeller Center rather than the Empire State building. It was SOOO crowded there it's untrue. It's nice to be able to take a little time and take some photos and not feel rushed and bombarded with people. Literally there was no room to move. Maybe you might also like to see Ground Zero - I didn't, I don't know I just didn't feel ready to see it. Also Central Park is good, you can take a leisurely ride around the park on a horse and cart too if you fancied something different.

Your sons would probably like to see FAO Schwarz (yummy ice cream in there too!), M&Ms World in Times Square (you should just go to see Times Square anyways, it's like nothing else!) is also a cool way to pass some time, I drooled so bad over that whole wall of M&Ms and The Hershey Shop is across the street from there too. There's also a big Toys R Us nearby with a ferris wheel inside. Broadway is also obviously close by, might like to catch a show if you have time.

Perhaps also some retail therapy, can't got to New York and not shop! Also you might be able to tempt your family to go with you to the NYC MAC Pro Store.

NicksWifey

I was in NYC for NYE 2007, it was one of the most amazing experiences in my life. We stayed close to Times Square, at the Michaelangelo. I thought the hotel was beautiful and while it was somewhat expensive, for a four-star hotel (I believe it is at least a three-four star, but not five), I thought it was a really good price.
We were only in NYC for the one day and it was New Years Eve so NYC was jammmmmpacked, but we did a lot of walking around. We weren't able to go to Ground Zero, but when we go back this year, I definitely want to go. Radio City Music Hall was awesome. I would definitely suggest at least going through the Fashion District, even if you just walk or drive through there, it's still amazing.
Definitely checkout Rockefeller Center, it's amazing!!!
Times Square is also crazy beautiful. It was just after Christmas, so all of the decorations and lights were still up all over NYC and it was one of the most beautiful sights I've ever seen.

DixieHellcat

Squee! Oh, have a blast. I went for the first time back in April. If your DH & kids want to, I highly recommend a Broadway show--balcony seats for many of them aren't ridiculously priced, and the experience is priceless. (followed by NY style cheesecake at Junior's on 44th st, but that's just my belly talkin'. hehe)

Mom & I stayed at the Milford Plaza on 8th ave. It's a neat old place, being renovated, but very clean and nice, reasonably priced (for NY). The rooms are teeny, but you're not gonna be spending that much time in the room anyway. I mean, it IS New York. lol. The staff were extremely nice & attentive too.

Times Square--people talk about how cheesy & worthless it is but I think it's well worth seeing. I had a blast hanging out there, people-watching, talking to locals, etcetc. (Watch for the Nekkid Cowboy with his hat & guitar, & tighty whities, standing in the middle of the street singing. Seriously.)

vivaXglamlove

When I went last may, I went to a Mars-themed Restaurant called Mars 2112. It was so much fun and really good food.
It's great for families and kids!
Mars 2112
FAO Schwarz is a must! I am 17 and I still love going there!
You could see a broadway show, which is always a great thing to do while in the city.

Janice

Great thread, I'll be making my first visit to the area in September so I am really paying attention to this thread for ideas!
smiles.gif

Le-Saboteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatalieMT
There's also a big Toys R Us nearby with a ferris wheel inside.

Whoa, that is some crazy stuff. I want to go to NY now
ssad.gif

Edit: And a space themed restaurant WTF. NZ is such an unimaginative country >.<

Blushbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRASHdecor
im going to ny in december, any vintage boutiques?
makeup spots i just have to check out?
smiles.gif

I think in Greenwich Village and Soho is where you'll find lots of unique lil' shops. Actually, yeah I remember walking past and popping into a few when I was in Soho.

I thought most were somewhat overpriced for what was being sold!

You need to check out Sephora for makeup heaven.

Also, remember to check out Duane Reade, CVS or Rite Aid (Duane Reade is on every friggin corner - literally) for products that you won't find in your own country/town - if you're not from the States. The bargains I picked up were fab as I found additions to popular skincare ranges that aren't sold here in London and other makeup ranges that are dirt cheap, but good quality.

captodometer

Sylvia's restaurant in Harlem: yummy soul food
drools.gif

Rockefeller Center is nice. It's almost winter, so the ice rink should be open and the Christmas tree should be going up soon. You can also catch a taping of Late Night if you can get the tickets.

Times Square is not to be missed. Doesn't even matter if you have a particular destination in mind: just go and people watch.

Not a trip to NYC without a theatre show. Don't know what's playing now, but there is usually something worth seeing. The off Broadway stuff is often just as good or better than the large Broadway shows.

Shopping: You can't skip Bloomingdale's and Macy's. The flagship stores are the size of small shopping malls; you could easily spend all day in there. And just wander around town and walk into any store that you think looks interesting: lots to choose from.

Metro Museum of Art(MOMA): I don't particularly like art, but even I like this museum. Good stuff worth seeing.

Blushbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by captodometer
Shopping: You can't skip Bloomingdale's and Macy's. The flagship stores are the size of small shopping malls; you could easily spend all day in there.

Remember to take your passport to the visitors centre and get the 11% discount card that will apply to all purchases bar makeup and skincare.

MsButterfli

MACYs 34th St
Sephora in Union Square (theres a big one there )
Essentials theres a few of em u can google and find their locations
MAC Pro in the Flatiron District which is right down the block from the Flatiron freestanding store
Henri Bendi just to check out the MAC store there lol
The wholesale district (Broadway from 25th to bout 34th St) u can get jewelry, accessories, some makeup (not MAC of course lol) scarves, hats well u get the drift lol
store called Jack's 99 cent store on 33rd between 6th and 7th they have several floors of great items, they have a wall full of ELF items and more makeup on the 3rd floor
beauty bargains at RiteAid, Walgreens, Duane Reade and CVS (just grab flyers on the way into the store)
Madame Tussauds Wax Museum in Times Square
Rockefeller Center
Empire State Building

uhhh if i remember anything else i'll come back and edit lol

BEA2LS

this thread is kinda old but i found it and wanted to add my opinion
smiles.gif

i know you probably already went but for anyone with kids, the toys r us in times square is pretty neat.. they have a ferris wheel in there with themed cars, its cute.
smiles.gif

i love times square - i live in NJ and used to go to NYC all the time when i went out with my ex who lived in bayonne. i have many great memories of going to sephora, macys, victoria secret in union square as well hard rock cafe in times square (went there for my 21 birthday <33), central park is awesome - i love it most in the winter, i saw great shows in nyc, been to pretty cool bars. but i really love times square still. it's so bright, lol. no matter what time of day it is, it looks like daylight it's so lit up.
i have been to ground zero, but that was a long time ago. and i have been to the statue of liberty a few times but thats in new jersey
winks.gif

i never been to new year's eve - kinda prefer not to, haha. i don't like the crowds too much. i was in the city the time everything blacked out and it was scary.

Jello89

So I was going to start a new thread but might as well add to this one...Ill be going to New York this summer(may-june) For the first time. Ill probably be staying at the Solita Hotel in SoHo. Its nothing fancy(quite the opposite) I just want something clean and convenient. I dont want to spend my money on a hotel. Ill be out all day so honestly, I could not care less. It will be about 250$ a night per room of 2 queen beds. If you guys could suggest something better for around the same price then ill be so grateful! I really want to do alot of shopping. Not for makeup though...*GASP* I have alot of that...I need clothes lol. So where do you guys suggest I go? What are some attractions I should visit? It will be summer time...Im guessing its nice weather...Its not that much more south than Montreal...What are some essential things I should do? I heard about that 11% discount? Im not quite sure what that is...I know that when I go to macy's in Florida we dont pay the taxes. And any other random tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
winks.gif

Ernie

I love Anthropologie (clothing,accessories) in Soho, on West Broadway. Balthazar has good bistro type French food and is good people watching(make a reservation) Also Lombardi's pizza on Spring street, oldest coal oven pizza in the country(Lombardi's Pizza Gennaro's Original Gennaro's Caffe) and right across the street, fabulous rice pudding at Rice to Riches, that's all they have, about 20 flavors(Rice To Riches), highly recommended!

Latest posts