What food/drink is good for flawless skin?

neotrad

New member
I strongly believe what you eat/drink build your body, and your diet routine along with exercising affects your health condition sooner or later. When I see women who have beautiful skin/hair/nails, I always want to ask them what they eat/drink for their skin if they think it matters, besides what skin&bodycare products they use. I'm not currently having any trouble with my skin though I always drink fresh Aloe Vera Juice, and I really like how highly nutritious it is.

Do you watch what you eat/drink especially for your skin?
Are there any good food/drinks you regularly have so you can keep your skin look flawless? Would you mind sharing your secrets?
 

Indigowaters

Active member
For skin, I'd have to say...water! Even though I don't drink enough of it, when I do it clears my face. For hair and nails I take prenatal vitamins. No I'm not pregnant, but my hair stylist told me to take those and drink water.
 

neotrad

New member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigowaters
For skin, I'd have to say...water! Even though I don't drink enough of it, when I do it clears my face. For hair and nails I take prenatal vitamins. No I'm not pregnant, but my hair stylist told me to take those and drink water.

Thank you!

Are the prenatal vitamins tablets? Do you need a priscription to get them?
 

Indigowaters

Active member
Quote:
Originally Posted by neotrad
Thank you!

Are the prenatal vitamins tablets? Do you need a priscription to get them?


No, you don't need a prescription. I take the ones made by Naturemade but you can take any. It's just a higher dosage of all the vitamins you need for the day really. And it's better than having to take seperate vitamins to get the same results. They are tablets and slightly smaller than what I call "horse pills" (those huge supplement pills that make me gag).
 

Uchina

New member
I would, however, be careful with vitamins. Usually we just piss out the excess, but overworking your kidneys can damage them.

The best way to get your nutrients is through food! Plus it's so much more fun to eat baked salmon with a side of cooked spinach with garlic than to gag down all the pills you would need to get the same amount of vitamins and minerals.
 

neotrad

New member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uchina
I would, however, be careful with vitamins. Usually we just piss out the excess, but overworking your kidneys can damage them.

The best way to get your nutrients is through food! Plus it's so much more fun to eat baked salmon with a side of cooked spinach with garlic than to gag down all the pills you would need to get the same amount of vitamins and minerals.


Honestly, that's what I prefer doing to take vitamins pills because I've heard that if you take multi vitamins pills for a long time, your body system will get lazy and become too dull to absorb REAL nutritions from actual food. So I guess what I heard was truth. Thank you for the input!
 

kimmy

New member
for your skin, try to stay away from caffiene, especially chocolate. drink plenty of water! that's all i've ever really heard of as far as skin care goes.

but for your hair and nails, eat foods high in protein and drink ALOT of milk. you can also take Biotin which will help your hair and nails grow stronger
HTH
 

lara

New member
Lots of water, lots of raw or lightly steamed green veg, lean protein 4x a week.

I have nice hair and natrual long nails, and I put that directly down to switching to Alchemy organic shampoo/conditioners and using protein bonding treatments from OPI. The shampoo really made a difference, no more hair monsters clogging the shower drain.


If you're eating the right food, you probably don't need vitamin suppliments unless you have an inability to process certain foods. I'm severely lactose intolerant and need calcium suppliments in addition to calcium-fortified soy milk, but the average person will get their RDI of calcium from two serves of milk and a piece of cows milk cheese.
 

GalleyGirl

New member
I used to not think that food had anything to do with how your skin looks (I've known way too many people who eat junk non stop and have flawless, poreless complexion, grr - but to be fair, they are 19) until my friend went on South Beach. Before, she was broken out all over her cheeks and was spending gobs of money on a facialist. After $500 of facial treatments and no improvement, she gave up. A couple weeks later, she went on South Beach, and did their two week detox plan. After that, she had the most, gorgeous, luminous skin (or at least for the period she was on the diet). I am not entirely sure what the detox plan consists of, probably something along the lines of what lara mentioned, raw green veggies and such. Oh, and no alcohol, period.
And no, I haven't tried it yet, I like my In N Out burgers too much :-(
 

neotrad

New member
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE ANTHEM
for your skin, try to stay away from caffiene, especially chocolate. drink plenty of water! that's all i've ever really heard of as far as skin care goes.

but for your hair and nails, eat foods high in protein and drink ALOT of milk. you can also take Biotin which will help your hair and nails grow stronger
HTH


oops. Caffeine is a no-no for skin? Although I don't drink coffee daily, I like it (w/ no sugar no milk) a lot.
And I drink a lot of hot strong green tea like water! haha.

As for protein, I try to take it from food and drink too.
 

neotrad

New member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lara

If you're eating the right food, you probably don't need vitamin suppliments unless you have an inability to process certain foods. I'm severely lactose intolerant and need calcium suppliments in addition to calcium-fortified soy milk, but the average person will get their RDI of calcium from two serves of milk and a piece of cows milk cheese.


I agree with you about no need of taking suppliments if you're eating healthy. Not as much as you though I'm lactose intolerant too, but recently I started to try and eat good cheese. I can eat them if they're smoked.
 

neotrad

New member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalleyGirl
I used to not think that food had anything to do with how your skin looks (I've known way too many people who eat junk non stop and have flawless, poreless complexion, grr - but to be fair, they are 19) until my friend went on South Beach. Before, she was broken out all over her cheeks and was spending gobs of money on a facialist. After $500 of facial treatments and no improvement, she gave up. A couple weeks later, she went on South Beach, and did their two week detox plan. After that, she had the most, gorgeous, luminous skin (or at least for the period she was on the diet). I am not entirely sure what the detox plan consists of, probably something along the lines of what lara mentioned, raw green veggies and such. Oh, and no alcohol, period.
And no, I haven't tried it yet, I like my In N Out burgers too much :-(


I know what you mean. I've seen many young women who smoke cigarrettes, and have beautiful skin and hair. But I also read in some books that some people don't experience having bad skin even if they eat/drink bad, but when they're older, they might have serious internal diseases. So it's not always bad that you get your skin broken out because your body is giving you a signal then you can stop and fix your lifestyle and bad habits.


PS. I used to eat In-N-Out, when I lived in S.Cali. It was the only fast food place I went to.
 

d_flawless

New member
water, eating healthy, and getting a lot of sleep/making time to relax. taking the 'relaxed' approach has totally helped out my skin + making time for skin care
 

neotrad

New member
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_flawless
getting a lot of sleep/making time to relax. taking the 'relaxed' approach has totally helped out my skin + making time for skin care

That's true. I really need to relax more...have been stressed out and sleeping is what I lack these days.

Thanks!
 

ladybugz07

New member
#1 is definitely water IMO. I think getting plenty of calcium, Vits D & E are also great. (I have dry skin and it's so much better when I get enough E).
Caffeine & 'greasy' foods are definitely no-nos!
 

Blood_Roses

New member
About the South Beach thing...my skin cleared when I went low carb as well. Sugar and grains break me out, but when I avoid them, my skin is beautiful


Interesting...but it works for some. Also, I agree with everyone about the water thing. Another thing is fat...getting healthy fats in my diet make my skin soft and supple


Oh, I also wanted to add about the water...my tip for making sure I get my 3 L in is using bottles. With glasses I rarely kept track. That way I know if I've had 4 bottles, I've met my quota. Chilling them in the fridge and adding a dash of lemon juice makes drinking them enjoyable.
 

NikkiHorror

New member
Quote:
Originally Posted by neotrad
That's true. I really need to relax more...have been stressed out and sleeping is what I lack these days.

Thanks!


It's true! Stress is horrible for your skin! So is caffiene! I think one cup of coffee or one soda a day is fine, the only thing is they're both psychically addicting so you have to be careful!

I'm friends with an aesthetician (girl who has been through skincare school and gives facials and stuff) and she's taught me alot. Water, Vitamin water, olive oil, steamed veggies, and salmon are probably some of the best things you can eat and drink. She said that people from the mediterrainan have the most georgeous figures, skin and hair and it's because of their diet...the only thing is, the eat in very small portions. Whenever I feel like snacking, I just grab fruits, yogurt or veggies, so I don't know.
 

neotrad

New member
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiHorror
I'm friends with an aesthetician (girl who has been through skincare school and gives facials and stuff) and she's taught me alot. Water, Vitamin water, olive oil, steamed veggies, and salmon are probably some of the best things you can eat and drink. She said that people from the mediterrainan have the most georgeous figures, skin and hair and it's because of their diet...the only thing is, the eat in very small portions. Whenever I feel like snacking, I just grab fruits, yogurt or veggies, so I don't know.

I didn't know salmon is good for skin!
I take it that fish oil has something to do with it...!?

Thank you for the interesting info!
 

neotrad

New member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood_Roses
About the South Beach thing...my skin cleared when I went low carb as well. Sugar and grains break me out, but when I avoid them, my skin is beautiful


Interesting...but it works for some. Also, I agree with everyone about the water thing. Another thing is fat...getting healthy fats in my diet make my skin soft and supple


Oh, I also wanted to add about the water...my tip for making sure I get my 3 L in is using bottles. With glasses I rarely kept track. That way I know if I've had 4 bottles, I've met my quota. Chilling them in the fridge and adding a dash of lemon juice makes drinking them enjoyable.


I really should STRICTLY avoid sugar & grains...they're the enemies...
I agree with getting healthy fats. And sometimes yogurt w/no sugar(or 100% natural honey)helps clean my bowels and makes my skin feel softer too.

Adding a dash of lemon juice to water is a nice idea.
Thankyou.
 

Latest posts

Top