What to expect from a MAC makeover?

Babylard

Hi, sorry if there is already a thread on this. I just couldn't find it.

I've never had a MAC makeover before and I've never really had anyone test products on me... except once when I was in highschool (it didn't turn out that great...) All I've ever done at the MAC counter was swatch stuff on my hand and purchase.

Do I have to phone to make an appointment or can I do walk ins? What can I expect? I would appreciate a walkthrough if possible lol

Do I go with a face with no makeup on, no foundation etc? I don't have acne, but I have blackheads on my nose, large pores+acne scars on my cheeks that I am quite insecure about. I dont' want them being like "EWWW!!" lol I've been able to fool people with nice skin, but thats due to my makeup of course. (I went to Aviva to buy Queen Helen mask products and the girl was like .... you have nice skin! you don't need it. LOL if only she knew....)

I want to go on friday after school to buy some beauty powder blushes and introduce myself the MAC foundations as well. I would like to see how others would do my eyeshape and what they would do for my skin. I have almond asian eyes with a fold and I find them kinda tricky... I've always been overwhelmed by their selection of foundations, so I just stick to what I know.

I know the girls at the counter are very nice, but uhh.. it's not like I have anyone to go with so I'm kind of iffy.. I've only had my makeup done by another person once. My mom dragged me to a cosmetics shop and this Shiseido rep did my makeup. It was okay, except I HATED my eyebrows. They were nicely done, but on me, they looked dark and evil.

Any tips, suggestions, ideas and info you folks can share with me?

Thanks, Anna

erine1881

it's best to make an appt. you can do it as a walk-up, just be prepared for it to take more than an hour (this is the normal appt. time). with a walk-up, the artist helping you has to stop and help customers as they come up, hence the longer time frame. also, check to see if there is a purchase policy. we require a $50 purchase for any makeup application fri-sun. and be sure to let them know that this is your first time getting your makeup done. that way they know you are genuine with your questions and not some ass asking alot of questions just to be an ass. believe me they're out there!

it's up to you if you wanna go in with makeup on or not. you'll just have to remove it all if you're wanting a full face makeup application (foundation, eyes, lips & cheeks). unless you are going somewhere before hand that you need to wear makeup, it's easier to just go in bare-faced. trust me, we are more freaked out if you come in sick than if you have a zit or two.
winks.gif

most artists start with the eyes. this is so that falldown can easily be removed without messing up the rest of the face. the artist will ask you what type of eye look you are wanting (neutral, smokey, certain colors, etc.) then they'll ask what type of foundation you are looking for and your skin type. the foundations are categorized first by coverage (sheer, sheer-medium, medium, medium-full), then finish (natural, satin, matte, etc.) they'll explain what all this means if you don't know. certain ones are better for certain skin types as well. and finally blush and lipcolors are chosen for you based on your needs/wants.

during the application the artist should talk you thru each step so that you know what each product does and why, and so that you can recreate the look at home. you can also ask for a face chart or eye chart be made to make it easier for you to do yourself. feel free to ask questions if you have them. there's no use for a product if you don't know what to do with it! and if there's something you don't like or don't want them to do, say so. if you don't want them to fill in your brows, speak up. i find brows to be a personal thing, and only fill them in if they ask me to. if it's done wrong, it throws the whole look off.
ssad.gif

at the end, they should recap the entire look and go over the face chart with you. then you pick out what you want/need and enjoy your new makeup!!!

Babylard

thanks erine, thats super helpful! I feel much more at ease about grossing people out with my skin.

i just called and made an appointment next week Thursday at 3:00PM at the MAC counter downtown winnipeg, since I have the day off hurrayy! I am super nervous and I told the lady on the phone that it was my first time and she said that I could bring in some photos of looks that I would like. She also said that it is important to communicate with the artist. I don't know what look I want........... X_X I'm guessing that artists find "I don't know" quite annoying?..

I was told that there is a minimum $45 purchase, which is pretty easy for me to do, not so easy on my bank account though *giggles* I'm going with the intention of getting a beauty powder blush and cashflow paintpot... but things never go as planned... I hope I can hold out for Heatherette.... hhahaha... thats the week after my appointment. Maybe I can make another appointment for Heatherette *grins*

BlahWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylard
I don't know what look I want........... X_X I'm guessing that artists find "I don't know" quite annoying?..

I had no clue what I wanted the first time I had a makeover and I'm pretty indecisive *blush*. My MA was really patient with me tho. What I did the 2nd time was have a few shadows/products in mind that I really wanted to try out and narrow it down to one or two by appointment time. That way there's something for the artist to work with! Oh, and decide on whether you'd want to try something bold or something tame with the colours/items chosen.

E.g. For my 2nd time I chose Shade f/l and Steamy e/s and she completed it with Shroom and Sunbasque. I didn't mind being a bit on the bold side so she did a smokey turquoise eye with a slightly thick line using Shade f/l. It was more dramatic than my usual but it got ideas going!

pumpkincat210

I've had the best luck being specific with the MA concerning a light look or something more bold. Alot of times MA's stay on the safe side since so many people like normal makeup. I usually tell them to go to town and have fun, because i like wild looks.
They also have a look book that you can go through and choose a look from.
The one time i didn't care what the MA did the look turned out okay, not bad application, just light and neutral. If i'm going in for my makeup done I prefer something dramatic.

Babylard

thanks! so I know i definitely want to learn about technique like eyeshadow placement for my eyeshape, blush application and foundation that is right for me. how should i go about this? i'm so confused lol

Simply Elegant

Just ask them how they're applying it, like which colours are going where and with which brush if they don't say but they probably will.

Let them know you're unsure of which foundation is best. Just decide if you want something matte, dewy, sheer, medium, full coverage and whether your skin is oily, dry, normal and with that they'll be able to decide what's best for you.

As for blush, just figure out what colour family you want the blush in, like warm or cool or pinkish, peachy, plummy etc. and they'll be able to recommend something.

I wouldn't worry too much about this. It's supposed to be fun.
smiles.gif

Babylard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkincat210
Ask for a mirror so you can see how they are applying the makeup.

ahhh.. thats a good one! thank you lol

christineeee_

i've never had a makeover done on me before, but i'm going to get my makeup done at a heatherette event in 2 weeks so tell us how ur appointment goes!

Babylard

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolategoddes
do you have to pay for an appointment?

technically no, you don't pay for the appointment itself, but you are obliged to make a minimum of $45-$50 purchase in products if you want one lol. it depends on your location, for me, i found out today that i have to buy $45 worth of products.

so if you plan on buying some items, you might as well phone in for a makeover!
lol.gif

christineeee_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylard
i found out today that i have to buy $45 worth of products.

i found that out from my MA today too but i'm probably gonna spend over $100 as usual ;-)

Babylard

Quote:
Originally Posted by christineeee_
i found that out from my MA today too but i'm probably gonna spend over $100 as usual ;-)

yeah you should get a makeover too chrstine! i'll definitely post my experience and please share yours too!

its true, $45 minimal purchase is never the problem. the problem is buying and wanting too much! LOL
lol.gif

heartsarebound

Thanks for this thread, this is definitely helpful as I'm planning to get my make-up done for prom.

I wanted to double check this though. For MAC stores, is the fee $55 and it comes with a free mascara. & then for counters it's $45 but reedeemable in products?

Also, I'm not a germaphobe or anything but do the MAs just use the make-up from the counters or they do have their own special make-up kits. I don't mind persay but I see alot of customers who swipe their fingers on eyeshadows and then it's applied again onto your eyes..? Just curious
smiles.gif
TY!

erine1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsarebound
Thanks for this thread, this is definitely helpful as I'm planning to get my make-up done for prom.

I wanted to double check this though. For MAC stores, is the fee $55 and it comes with a free mascara. & then for counters it's $45 but reedeemable in products?

Also, I'm not a germaphobe or anything but do the MAs just use the make-up from the counters or they do have their own special make-up kits. I don't mind persay but I see alot of customers who swipe their fingers on eyeshadows and then it's applied again onto your eyes..? Just curious
smiles.gif
TY!

you never get anything for free. prices differ depending on location, but it's always redeemable in product.

we use what is out on display. powder products don't harbor bacteria as long as no liquid is introduced, so you won't "catch" anything.

Babylard

Quote:

smiles.gif
TY!

you should call them ahead of time. appointments are high in demand! so make sure you call ahead of time for the prom and ask about minimum purchase too. i wanted it this week but they had to squish me in next week!

i believe they use the powder stuff on display, since it doesn't harbor bacteria like liquids do. but for sure, their brushes are sanatized between clients and lipsticks etc are sanatized before use as well. i'm not quite sure about foundations though

erine1881

we use the same foundations that are out on display. the same ones we swatch and match people up to.

heartsarebound

Quote:
Originally Posted by erine1881
you never get anything for free. prices differ depending on location, but it's always redeemable in product.

we use what is out on display. powder products don't harbor bacteria as long as no liquid is introduced, so you won't "catch" anything.

Hm, when I went to my MAC store and asked, that's what she said in regards to the mascara but never mentionned anything about the products being reedemable. However yesterday when I went to the MAC counter at the Bay, the MA told me how it's $45 with the products and when I asked how come there's a 10 dollar difference, she said it's because you get a "private" room in the store as opposed to being done up in the chair right in front of everyone. But thanks for the input
smiles.gif
I'll definitely call up and ask again to be certain and book my appointment!

erine1881

Quote:
Hm, when I went to my MAC store and asked, that's what she said in regards to the mascara but never mentionned anything about the products being reedemable. However yesterday when I went to the MAC counter at the Bay, the MA told me how it's $45 with the products and when I asked how come there's a 10 dollar difference, she said it's because you get a "private" room in the store as opposed to being done up in the chair right in front of everyone. But thanks for the input
smiles.gif
I'll definitely call up and ask again to be certain and book my appointment!

it sounds like you're talking about an actual makeup lesson that they do at freestanding stores. those are completely different than appts. at all locations. stores do both, lessons (in a private room) and appts. everyone does appts., where you're out front, in front of everyone, and the cost of the appt. is redeemable in product. the cost is different at different locations on different days. if you're wanting to get it done for prom, you might wanna just do the regular appt, since the lesson appt actually teaches you how to do it, so it may take longer. not sure how long lesson appts are since i work at a counter. call and get all the info on the differences between the two and then book your appt.

Latest posts