Wrong Shade Foundation

myystiqueen

I need some advices here.... i have two MAC foundation, which are Studio Fix Powder and Select SPF15... i got Studio Fix like a month ago and the MA suggested the shade NC35... i tried it at home and found that it's too light.... because basically myy face is lighter than myy neck and using the NC35 just makes the difference clearer... and then i got Select SPF15 one-two weeks ago and the MA got me NC30... still,, i find this a bit too light (but not worse than myy studio fix NC35)

what do you usually do with foundations that don't match your skintone?? do you sell it?? or do you use other products that can help to 'neutralize' the color... say using other products that are darker if the foundation is too light and all that....

and uhm... if i'm planning on getting another one,, should i say to them that i already got the NC35 (studio fix) and apparently it's too light??

thanks again

-dea

caffn8me

You should really match foundation to the neck rather than the face.

Take a look at this example from my M·A·C training;

NWNC.jpg

My victim naturally has a face that is NW but a neck that is NC. If you apply NW foundation to her face it accentuates the difference.

The first picture is without makeup and you should be able to see the difference between neck and face.

The second picture has predominantly NC foundation (blended with a much lesser amount of NW) to match the neck rather than the face. During application it looks all wrong because the foundation is a completely different colour to the face but when the face is completely made up, it looks quite natural.

Apologies for the poor quality of the photo - my digital camera is prehistoric (1.3 megapixels vintage 2000!)

The products I used where Full Coverage foundation in NW something and NC something (can't remember exactly which) and Face & Body Mixing Medium.

Miss. Herzeleid

You could maybe out a small amount of bronzer over it untill you get the right shade for you...im not too sure. But this might help.

Escada

I have tried many MAC foundation products and I am never satisfied. Not so much with the color but with the formulation. Currently I've switched to NARS Deauville Firming Foundation. I'm pretty happy so far.

DirtyPlum

I think you should definitely tell them that the shade is too light. But I dont know why you bought NC30 second time round, knowing that 35 was too light?

Also Studio fix is generally runs darker than select, so you should have got 37/40 in select if you are 35 in SFix.

My face is lighter than my neck and I always apply foundation on my neck, however I have matched the foundation to my face and not my neck. I am South Asian and very yellow so an NC but my neck is more NW35. If I apply NW35 to my face, it looks orange.

I totally agree with Caffn8me and the example she has given. The girl in the pic would disbenefit from a NW on her face as not only would it mismatch her neck, but it would make it appear more red (and she has a lot of red in it already).

Options for you are:
-to take back the NC30 and tell them its too light.
-Use the 35 and blend down to your neck. It sounds like you may not have an issue with the NW/NC but just with the shades (30/35)
- If 35 is too light for your neck then you need to return both and gte matched again - this time telling them your concerns

Its difficult to recommend, because sometimes the NW/NC theory isnt so black and white.

hhunt2

Crap! That sucks. I'm having a similar problem.

I've been using a Revlon foundation, and that seems to match my skin well. Just last night, I went to Mac to get a new powder & concealer (but I havent used there powder in over 6 years, so I needed to find my color).

So I finally tried everything I got, all over the Revlon foundation this morning... and ew! My face is so orangy and darker than my neck (I feel like an idiot at work looking like this). I had told the MA that I wanted something natural to my skin (no bronze effect) b/c I don't tan and I have a ton of bronzer at home if I change my mind.

She had given my Select Cover-Up in NW 30 and a Select Sheer Pressed Powder in NC 35.

So Myystiqueen, I feel your pain. I'm going back today to exchage the items b/c why should I save the product for the summer time if I don't tan. Plus there stuff aint cheap. lol
Why do some MA's give such dark or light colors to customers??? As if I don't trust thier judgement anymore.
And is it common that they give an NW and NC item together??? (But from Caffn8me's explanation, maybe it's common).

myystiqueen

thank you all guys for the recs.... apparently, i couldn't return or exchange the product being used already..... i think it depends on the stores... i bought MSFn in Medium Plus @ David Jones (australia) and found it too light so i exchanged it to Medium Dark... so basically, DJ's allowed refund or exchanges of any products being used but not MYER.. so yea..

the next day i went to priceline (a local drugstore) and i got Rimmel Lasting Finish.. i didn't even bother to swatch it in store and i got Natural Beige.. once i got home, i put it on and surprisingly, it matches myy skin AND my neck....... hmmmm......

oh btw,, can anyone give me any tips for myy next trip to MAC?? i was told that once the MA swatched the foundation on myy face, i should get outside and see myy face in the mirror in a daylight... how is it even possible?? i mean,, wouldn't it be weird?? first, the MA will think i'm out of myy mind and i don't wanna imagine what other passers would think....

i may sound like a fool now,, but yea...

Latest posts