You have the right ot religious freedom - UNLESS youre Muslim???

Shadowy Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperfishies
One thing ALL organized religions have in common is, they were created by man to oppress and control certain groups. One of these groups being women. In Arabic, "Islam", means submission. It comes from a word with the root meaning "peace". The religious definition/context of the word means, complete and total submission to the will of G-d (Allah). The Koran, is the word of Allah...So, if you have people who are taking the Koran as 100% literal, their religion will be used to back up whatever extreme things they do. And who's to say they are practicing their religion wrong? This same concept goes for Christians. Each Christian interprets their holy book differently. They believe that what they do is what g-d wants them to do. Who's to say they're wrong?

Thank you, this is exactly what I wanted to say in my post
yes.gif
. Most ppl say extremists are the ppl who don't follow the book. I say they are the ones that take it literally. Refer to my post above

hello_my_apple

according to "Pastor" Tom Jones of Florida, 9-11-2010 will be the new 'Burn a Qua'ran day'. This is what it's come to the hatred for Muslims have gone this far. He makes me ashamed to be a Christian as well as American right now.

paperfishies

Personally, I think that guy is a fucking douche bag. If he finds the Koran so appalling, then perhaps he should open his Bible and take a closer look. The Bible isn't all rainbows and unicorns.

Muslims are not the only group that have been treated this way.

In the 1940's Jews were treated this way in the United States (actually much, MUCH worse)

In 1834 an angry mob attacked and burned down convent right outside of Boston because Catholics were thought of as vile trash. Catholics in some cities were locked into their homes, while crazies set their houses on fire.

Look up "Bloody Monday" which took place in Louisville, Ky in 1855...Bloody Monday - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hmm, also the Japanese Internment camps.

The Irish were also treated like complete shit when they started coming to the US.

During world war I, Germans were looked down upon.

hello_my_apple

Quote:
Personally, I think that guy is a fucking douche bag. If he finds the Koran so appalling, then perhaps he should open his Bible and take a closer look. The Bible isn't all rainbows and unicorns.

Muslims are not the only group that have been treated this way.

In the 1940's Jews were treated this way in the United States (actually much, MUCH worse)

In 1834 an angry mob attacked and burned down convent right outside of Boston because Catholics were thought of as vile trash. Catholics in some cities were locked into their homes, while crazies set their houses on fire.

Look up "Bloody Monday" which took place in Louisville, Ky in 1855...Bloody Monday - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hmm, also the Japanese Internment camps.

The Irish were also treated like complete shit when they started coming to the US.

During world war I, Germans were looked down upon.

I forgot about Bloody Monday, and I agree there are some things in the bible that have happened that make me go "hmmmm?"

Dont forget about Black Americans cant forget they were treated like crap aswell in this country.

The good thing is his church only has 15 members so this idiotic thinking hopefully wont get spread to far lol.

DILLIGAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_my_apple
I forgot about Bloody Monday, and I agree there are some things in the bible that have happened that make me go "hmmmm?"

Dont forget about Black Americans cant forget they were treated like crap aswell in this country.

The good thing is his church only has 15 members so this idiotic thinking hopefully wont get spread to far lol.

Fifteen members too many.

blazeno.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DILLIGAF
Fifteen members too many.

Hm, I thought they had said fifty, but this is even better.

Sojourner

Quote:
I don't watch fox news nor are my views narrow minded. My views have been formed around world travel, college studies (classes I've taken, one class being a gender studies class that focused on females and the roles we play in religion), non bias sources that gather statistic, as well as speaking to people.

I will dig my Koran out of a box later and post actual passages but I believe in the book there is something about it being acceptable to rape female slaves.

One thing ALL organized religions have in common is, they were created by man to oppress and control certain groups. One of these groups being women. In Arabic, "Islam", means submission. It comes from a word with the root meaning "peace". The religious definition/context of the word means, complete and total submission to the will of G-d (Allah). The Koran, is the word of Allah...So, if you have people who are taking the Koran as 100% literal, their religion will be used to back up whatever extreme things they do. And who's to say they are practicing their religion wrong? This same concept goes for Christians. Each Christian interprets their holy book differently. They believe that what they do is what g-d wants them to do. Who's to say they're wrong?

With the majority of Muslim dominated countries the law of the land is based upon a set of religious beliefs, This is where the problems come in. Often, those in charge are extreme in their beliefs which leaves little to no wiggle room and the results are scary. You end up with countries like Iran, Iraq, Saudi, Indonesia, Bangladesh, Afghanistan and Pakistan.

On to female circumcision. Africa, is not the only place this is practiced and accepted. While the more progressive Muslim countries claim to condemn this horrific practice, Indonesia has the largest Muslim population in the world, with around 203 million Muslims. Female circumcision is an accepted practice there. In 2006 the government "banned" it but this ban is not enforced. In fact Many hospitals in Indonesia still offer female circumcision for newborn baby girls. The World Health Organization estimates that 140+ million women have been circumcised.
Shari'ah-Islamic law-has 5 categories that ones actions can fall into...Mandatory,permissible, commendable,detestable, and forbidden....Female circumcision falls into the permissible category...and many Muslims who support this act state they support it because of the prophet Muhammad's witnessing of a female circumcision. You'll have to look up the Hadith, I don't have any books in front of me and don't like relying on google searches for information...But basically, Muhammad gave direction on how to circumcise the female in this instance. Of course shia and sunni muslims will interpret this differently because they follow religious traditions differently. Who is right, who is wrong? Is anyone really wrong?

Here is a quote from a Muslim woman in Indonesia, she is speaking about the government banning female genital mutilation...“That is so sad, because Muslims have to be clean and we live under Islamic law. Even if it is forbidden we would always try to find some one to do it for us, because we have too".

In Indonesia, female circumcision is so widespread the government is trying to figure out how to make this a standard practice, in order to make it more safe for the female children who are forced to endure this. In order to do this, the ban would be lifted.

I think everyone on here would agree that female circumcision is a ritual that only the most extreme take part in. Yet, this extreme ritual is widely accepted and even encouraged in a country that has the worlds highest Muslim population.

Pakistan...While women aren't forced to cover in Pakistan, take a look at their laws regarding women who are sexually assaulted. (Pakistan has around 174 million Muslims.) Let us not forget about the assassination of Benazir Bhutto.

Bangladesh-While rape and spousal abuse are against the "law" in this country, the law favors men. When a woman says she is raped, she is put into "protective custody"...Protective custody often times means these women are held in prison where they are furthered raped and victimized. During time in "protective custody" women are not allowed to leave, even if they want to, they remain held against their will.

So basically the point I am making is when ANY country's laws rely heavily upon religious doctrine, a large number of the population in that country will be oppressed and treated unfairly. It will never be pretty and the people of the country will never truly be free while religious doctrine is used to back up law. Countries that rely heavily on religious doctrine for social laws, often have the most harsh punishments for seemingly victimless crimes. This is a problem.

I don't see Islam as an extreme religion, I do however see Islam as a religion that has very little give and like with any organized religion, I see it as a means to control and oppress the masses.

Under Islamic doctrine, how are homosexuals to be treated?

Under Islamic doctrine how are menstruating women treated?

I ask the question about menstruating women because I truly am curious. In my gender studies class there were several Muslim women. The majority of the Muslim women believed that women are unclean while they are on their period. So this means no touching the Koran, no praying 5 times a day, no sex with her husband, no fasting... and I can't remember what the other things were but I believe there were a few other restrictions.

More progressive Muslim women have taken this to be a very old school line of thought and do not follow this.

To summarize: MANY Muslim countries (not all) rely heavily upon religious doctrine when it comes to their legal system. The non-Muslim world sees this as an extreme and dangerous way of life. Especially those of us in the US, where church and state are supposed to be completely, 100% separate.

First of all, I’m intrigued by the religion that you follow. You write the expression ‘G-d’ and your posts have criticised Islam and Christianity (to a far lesser degree of course)...so do you mind sharing which religion you follow? Seems like you are Jewish right? So not impartial when considering the Israel context.

It does NOT say that you can rape female slaves in the Qu’ran. What a horrible manipulative lie. At the time of Islam’s revelation, slavery was the norm in the whole world. Islam did not introduce, institute or encourage slavery, but it tried to change attitudes towards slaves. It is true that men were allowed at that time to have sexual relations with female slaves if both parties wanted, but rape?! You cannot find a true, credible Islamic justification for that, no way. I’d love to see this quote of yours that you mention, is it a non-Muslim translation of the Qu’ran or a controversial translation? The most trusted English translation of the Qu’ran is by Marmaduke Pickthall and I have never seen such a thing written in there. Emancipation of a slave is seen as a really high act in Islam, thankfully this is not necessary anymore since slavery is not a problem like it used to be.

As for Indonesian female circumcision, I don't get it, but that's their culture and choice. It is possible for it to be done in a non-barbaric way, just like with male circumcision. If Indonesians are trying to standardise it then that means that they are aiming to remove the butchery element that some barbarians are fond of. Indonesians are very well educated and have a strong medical system, they will be able to do it justice I hope, for those people who insist on doing it to all their kids, whether they are boys or girls. The fact is, for women it’s is not encouraged in Islam, but only permitted, most Muslim women are not circumcised and most Muslims will agree with these assertions. It is not the norm and never has been no matter how much you try to spin it. The hadith that you mention is not considered to be authentic, here is a quote summarising the issue and the link for article from where it was taken, it’s a long article but explains the issue very well for people who are interested:

“Thus it is clear that in Islamic ruling, clitoridotomy is neither an obligation nor a sunna, with no evidence supporting either. Nor is it a sign of respect because all the hadith endorsing it are poor in authenticity. It is rather a custom, and as such it is not common in all Islamic countries; it is restricted to some. Besides, it is a custom that causes an absolute injury, the infliction of which on any person cannot be accepted without legitimate justification. It is an injury which, particularly in its psychological aspect, cannot be compensated for. If its practice and the injustice it involves, as it is practised in all its forms that are common in our country, causes a woman to lose her ability to enjoy sexual satisfaction, scholars rule that retribution or blood money is due.”

Islamset - Female Circumcision Neither a Sunna, nor a Sign of Respect: Male Circumcision, Chastity and modesty

Yes sodomy is considered a sin (and thus homosexuality) in Islam as in other religions and there are varying answers as to how homosexuals should be dealt with. I’m sure you’ll find all kinds of answers with some vile people suggesting murder, others suggesting ‘straightening them out’ and others that say just leave them be, their sins are between God and them. You’ll find these varying attitudes amongst Christians and Jews too, they are just as anti-gay. Obviously if you are gay that is no comfort but that is religion for you. You don’t have to follow it or like it. But don't make out like only Muslims are prejudiced against gays.

As for the menstruating issue, yes women do not fast, formally pray etc. when they have their period, it is not because women are dirty and nasty which is the simplistic inference that people make (and unfortunately some Muslims contribute to because of their lack of knowledge and their sexism) but because all blood is considered unclean. Not just the blood of the womb. Muslims are constantly making ritual purifications/ablutions in order to be in the state of cleanliness that Islam requires for prayer. Vomit, blood, bodily fluids, urine, excrement etc. are all considered to make you unclean and therefore you have to clean when any of them are on you or your clothes. Even farting requires you to perform ritual cleansing (wudhu) again for the purpose of praying. Therefore, it follows that if you have your period and there is a constant presence of blood from your vagina then you cannot perform prayers etc. It is a relief for some women to not have to fast/pray when they are on their period since some people feel really unwell during that time. Men and women can be amorous without having sex but sex is not allowed when on your period and this is believed to be because of health reasons (like male circumcision has been proven to be beneficial for men in scientific studies, maybe one day there will be a study that shows that having sex whilst on your period is bad for you, who knows?). I am sure there is some loser somewhere that locks his wife in a barn with the cows when she is on her period but this is not Islamically justifiable with the Qu’ran and I am sure that most Muslims do not act in this way, but there are of course a range of opinions about the finer details and people favour different things according to their regional cultures and age old ancestral traditions.

I doubt you’ve been to many Muslim countries at all never mind the ones that you specifically criticise. Bangladesh is really not that oppressive. I applaud them for having a ‘law’ – as you say – against spousal rape/abuse at all. That is a good step to start with. I’m sure you can find many news stories about particular cases that are horrifying, but you find these kinds of cases in your own non-Muslim country too. Bangladesh has been cited as the country in the world with the most happiest people in a study by the LSE (the well designed and esteemed World Happiness Survey), this despite it’s poverty, natural disasters and the fact that the people are *gasp* Muslim. Bangladesh is not the hellhole that you describe. Bangladesh is run on British common law and so is Pakistan (legacy of British invasion and empire). Sure, when some guys can’t get their way with British law they try to find a way to manipulate religion to get what they want and justify it. Nothing unusual there, happens everywhere and will change as people get more educated.

Pakistan is a very liberal country in some parts. Places like Karachi are very open and free because it’s an economic centre and a port city with educated people. The south of the country is filled with Sufis, mystics and magicians, they can’t be all that Islamic if they are into the dark arts and invoke the devil lol. The north is much more conservative because it is quite inaccessible and has always been resistant to change because of the threat of outsiders and invasion. Things were progressing there until the US government started drone-bombing the people. Now the people are reverting back to insularity and hostility to outsiders. Still, Pakistan is not the ghastly place that you and the media try to present. Every society has it’s social problems and as the Pakistani populace become more educated, which they are with a growing middle-class, things will change slowly, including attitudes towards women hopefully.

I had to laugh at your mention of Benazir Bhutto’s assassination. That issue couldn’t be a poorer illustration of your argument, completely irrelevant! First of all, she was elected twice by the people (which are so horribly Muslim, sexist and vile apparently) of Pakistan. Very progressive for a nation that has been sovereign for about 50 years. She was a terrible corrupt leader and siphoned off a great deal of the public’s money to live a lavish lifestyle but that’s not a justification for her murder of course. Her two brothers were assassinated and most people point the finger at her husband (sadly now the leader of the country). Then she was assassinated. The whole Islamic extremists thing is BS and most people educated in Pakistan’s history know this. Fatima Bhutto, her niece, believes that Benazir’s husband Asif Zardari was responsible for her murder, and that is the prevailing belief amongst Pakistani people. He has benefitted tremendously from the deaths of her and her brothers. He is widely dubbed as ‘Mr 10 per cent’ and a gangster because that’s how he operates. The murder of his wife is not beyond him, believe me. The belief of outside political commentators is that her murder was committed by the internal secret services of the country because of a variety of political and strategic reasons. Again, the ‘Islamists killed her’ argument is widely discredited and usually peddled on morning news programmes in America. People should really read widely.

The ‘Taliban’ which are mainly Afghan and North Pakistani pashtuns (a particular tribe know for it’s warrior like traditional culture) have always existed. When it suited the US government, they armed and trained those very people to fight the Russians and now they are given the ‘bad guy’ title of Taliban. Taliban or no Taliban the people of Afghanistan are quite intolerant to education, outsiders and womens rights. With years of fighting off invaders, development and education has not happened at all. I feel bad for the Afghans though, their land is in a place that has always been coveted for economic and strategic reasons. Don’t believe the con that is the ‘war on terror’, it is a war for resources like all wars. Afghanistan and Pakistan were recently found to be extremely rich in minerals and natural gas, the Caspian Sea Gas Pipeline project is an old neo-con wet dream, it’s the real motivation for the wars there, but of course you won’t get that information from the TV or your government.

IT'S ALL ABOUT OIL!

Every country has a complex history, mix of cultures and religions. ‘A History of Islam’ is a good academic book written by a non-Muslim, Karen Armstrong, that describes how the Muslim world came to be and all the achievements of the Islamic civilisation of past. All countries need to go through a trajectory of development and education which many countries (some Muslim, some not) have not yet done so for a variety of reasons. You seem to be very arrogant about your part of the world, as if it is some kind of utopia. The US and Western Europe got to where they are today after countless gross injustices, theft, murder and destruction. It’s easy to be moral and smug after all the damage has been done and the world ravaged. You should really cut others a little slack. Let’s not forget that the US and European governments today are still proponents of murder and injustice though in a more sly way - divide and rule, supporting puppet regimes, exporting arms (oh this is a big big source of revenue for Western democracies who pretend to care about human rights) artificially fixing prices of grain so that the poor suffer and so on. Muslim and non-Western countries will improve with development and education and ultimately, time. The rise of the Eastern powers and their future dominance in the world will facilitate some of this too hopefully.

On a more general note, if Islam and Muslims were as intolerant and unbearable as you describe, I really doubt that there would be as many converts to Islam as there are in the world today. And there are so many, people are converting to Islam a lot, I know of so many converts in London alone. Would so many non-Muslims really become Muslim in this day and age if the things you say are true? People like Jermaine Jackson, Cat Stevens and such. Converts are usually very rigorous about studying the facts of Islam and the culture of Muslims before they convert. Muslims that are brought up with the title of Muslim are often way less informed about the religion and often do a fair amount of blind following.

I’ve written a mammoth essay here and I’m think I’m going to respectfully bow out of this thread now. I’m sure you will make many more wild statements based on poor evidence and prejudice and I can’t be bothered to argue with all of them, it’s not my job and life is too short to argue with ignorance. This thread was supposed to be about the ‘mosque’ (a word that was coined by Isabella & Ferdinand of the Crusades because they likened Muslims to mosquitoes, after all that the Moors had done for Spain) which by the way I don’t even support the building of (not safe really).

I shouldn't have let myself get lured to the 'Deep Thoughts' section
smiles.gif

hello_my_apple

you were right, it's 50! which is even worse lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeno.8
Hm, I thought they had said fifty, but this is even better.

paperfishies

I'm Atheist. My mom's side of the family is Jewish and the "G-d" thing is an old habit.

We could argue all day long about how shitty a country is and how their laws suck VS. how wonderful a nation is and how it's the most amazing place on earth. Obviously your idea of a great place and my idea of a great place are completely different. (and yes I've been to Muslim countries) I've been fortunate enough to travel, not only for pleasure but with groups who are trying to better the world.

However, in outlining some of the dark aspects of the countries mentioned the point was, these countries rely heavily (some more than others) on religious doctrine when it comes to laws, regulations and punishments. When ANY country does this, no good can come from it. It ends up becoming a breeding ground for religious extremists who can then use their religion as an excuse to do fucked up things. The way you interpret the Koran, is not the way every Muslim interprets it. Who is right, who is wrong? Same can be said for the Bible. Like when so many white Christians in the US used their Bibles as an excuse to hate black people and enslave them. Hell, they use their Bibles now as an excuse to hate gay people and it's a disgusting and ugly thing.
I will use Indonesia as an example...In Indonesia homosexuality is considered a "mental handicap" by the government...Homosexual couples and individuals are not offered the same legal protection that is offered to straight people.
In the US, there may be some people who use their religion as a reason to hate homosexuals but if they decide to take their hate to the next level and harm a gay person, they are breaking the law and something will be done about it.

Does homosexuality still carry a life sentence and a possible death penalty in Bangladesh?

Homosexuality in Pakistan-http://www.iheu.org/node/2922 in 2009, a man in Pakistan was beaten to death by an angry mob who rushed into his home because they were sickened by his homosexuality. Did the police ever find who did this? Were the murderers punished? The police of this town described it as "vigilante justice".

Basically any country that has a "Moral Police" is far too extreme and dangerous. Last time I researched it, I believe the countries with moral police are Yemen, Iran, Saudi,UAE, Singapore, Pakistan, India... and Aceh province in Indonesia has Shariah police. Yes I understand the Shariah police in Indonesia are a bit different. They aren't allowed to actually detain anyone...Instead they just run around harassing women about their dress and offer "moral" advice.

Am I arrogant about my country? No, we have our very own dark past. From slaughtering Native Americans to enslaving all kinds of different people. However, our country has come a VERY, VERY long way and we continue to make progress as our government moves farther away from a religious agenda. I'm hoping to see gay marriage legal in all 50 states in the next 10 years.

As for the circumcision thing...I am against the circumcision of all babies. No matter the gender. I believe that's something an ADULT should choose for themselves. Male circumcision goes on in this country today for purely aesthetic reasons. Newer scientific research shows that as long as a person takes care of them-self properly they will not be at any higher of a risk for infections/stds as a circ'd male. The research that shows higher risk of infections is outdated and no longer deemed valid within the scientific community...that research was performed in a time when people didn't have access to a bathroom in which they could shower properly, every day.

Also, back in the day, in the US, Kellogg and Graham (yup the cereal guy and the graham cracker guy) were hardcore, extremists, Christians who urged parents of baby boys to have their sons circumcised so they would not masturbate. However, in 2010, um, we know that circ'd guys can certainly masturbate with no problems...So in today's US, in 2010, circumcisions are performed out of ignorance (because people only know of the outdated research) and/or aesthetic reasons.
History of Circumcision

What troubles me about female circumcision is it is done ONLY to assert dominance over a female, even in 2010. It's sole purpose is to take away pleasure that a female can get from sex. In countries where this is performed on a regular basis, these countries fear women owning their sexuality. Women who enjoy sex are looked down upon. And yes you even see this with the more extreme Christians.

I've heard a lot of controversy over the praying while menstruating issue. I get that all blood is unclean to Muslims...However, we have blood coursing through our veins, all day every day, how is this any different? Also, are tears considered unclean? I've witnessed many people getting emotional while praying. To many people prayer and their faith is a very personal thing. If a Muslim begins to cry while praying, what do they do? What if they get a runny nose? Totally serious questions.

Back on topic...Keep in mind no one is stopping anyone from building a Masjid close to ground zero. People are voicing their opposition to it. Thankfully we live in a country that will not only allow people to build whatever church they want but also allows people to bitch about whatever they want.

paperfishies

While I find it absolutley hilarious and ridiculous that the SECOND biggest share holder News Corp (which owns fox/fox news) is Alwaleed bin Talal, you have to understand that there are two very different sides to Fox. The business side and the political side...I mean, look at the shows fox news produces...Family Guy, the creator of Family Guy, Seth McFarland, he is as liberal as they come. Also, married with children was on fox, not exactly wholesome, sarah palin esque family programming.

I LOVE Jon Stewart sooooo much! So hilarious.

GorgeousJocey

i'm really glad there have been some really good points made. i feel personally that no mosque, church, synagogue, etc. should be built there it, maybe this sounds like a bit much and cheesy but something should be built where can people can come to a religious understanding of one another, like shadowy lady said, b/c i'm tired of this miconception that every Muslim is a shauvanistic, mercy killer, and they force their women to where Hijabs and cover themselves b/c they're just controlling and barbaric that way, i know plenty of Muslim women who wear Hijabs b/c like it has been said they want to, i came across a blog the other day that ticked me off big time refering to people of the middle east as barbaric mercy killing Muslims, how ignorant, yet she calls heself a Christian, first off everyone in the middle east is not a Muslim, secondly anyone can be Muslim, but my biggest problem is her calling herself a Christian, if she thinks Jesus would've sat around somewhere blogging about how barbaric they are and making other prejudice commets she's sorely mistaken and this pastor burning the Q'uran what an idiot, he claims he'll be doing this b/c in Islamic countries they burn the American flag, flag burning and burning of a holy book don't compare, furthermore some people may disagree but let's remember America was not founded on Christian love and values itself, nat. americans in the southeastern states were forced to be Christians,some misplaced from there original land and nat. women had their babies removed from the womb and murdered and this was all in the name of God, black americans were killed by the kkk in the name of God, it was even a point when black americans could not be Mormon b/c it was the God-like thing to do so everyone targeting Muslims, really needs to do some history research b/c they jump to conclusions

Bjarka

I shall first of admit, that I haven't read every post, but just skimmed some of the longer ones.

Now I do have a fair few Muslim friends. I've worked with Muslims. My sister had a Christian friend from syria.... And people tend to generalize people from their religion and where they come from.

All people from the heavy/fundamentalist Muslim countries are not as the media makes them out to be. I've found that age and education level strongly affects the way they practice the religion. yo most bear in mind, that a lot of people in these countries haven't had regular education, and have actually never read the Koran themselves. They are taught by their religious leaders (and unfortunately some of them are not what I have found to be "true" Muslims.

There is a big difference in the Koran as well, depending on where you get it from. Korans printed in Saudi for instance can be very scary reading. But get it from an other country (and an other translator), and the text has a different message.

Also a lot of Muslims use other text than the Koran, and it is often in those you find the harder more violent messages. And again unfortunately some people put the messages in these texts over the ones in the Koran.

there has also been some controversy in terms of how the Koran has originally been translated into modern language. commonly Arabic languages like farsi has been used. But there has been studies that suggest, that it should be read in a mix of Syrian and Hebrew, since they were the predominant languages used in the areas (at the time) where the documents have been found.

So all in all I don't have a problem with Islam. I have a problem with fundamentalists and extremists, but that goes for all religious practice.

I really also just want to put an European voice in here. I am from Denmark (where the Mohamed drawing came from). And the thing about the drawing is, that it was made to be a political matter. It was not, since by law in most western countries freedom of speech is a right. Most danish people thought it was a bad judgment to print it, but can't dispute the right to publish it.
It was however interesting to follow the aftermath. Cause you found the extremist easy to spot. They amplified the image printed!!!!! And made Muslims look stupid to be honest. Luckily in Denmark we have some Muslims that are "normal" and spoke out. They like most Danes found the image offensive, but had to say it was part of living in a country with the freedom of speech. Something they actually appreciated, since that same law is what makes it OK to practice their belief.

An in terms of nationality the group that was the most quite during this whole deal was the Turkish. They didn't seem to be bothered by anything else than how bad a reputation they were getting because of the jihad messages send out by extreme Muslims.

So as a conclusion on my rant on this (sorry for the length). Take everything you hear with a pinch of salt. Be tolerant! don't generalize people!

And as to the original topic of the mosque:
I'd considered it a stance from non-extremist Muslims to get to have the mosque near the WTCs.
But everywhere there are extremists, and I don't think it would be smart to do. (like with the drawings! there is a right to do it, but I don't find it smart to exercise that right)

reesesilverstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner
First of all, I’m intrigued by the religion that you follow. You write the expression ‘G-d’ and your posts have criticised Islam and Christianity (to a far lesser degree of course)...so do you mind sharing which religion you follow?

It does NOT say that you can rape female slaves in the Qu’ran. What a horrible manipulative lie. At the time of Islam’s revelation, slavery was the norm in the whole world. Islam did not introduce, institute or encourage slavery, but it tried to change attitudes towards slaves. It is true that men were allowed at that time to have sexual relations with female slaves if both parties wanted, but rape?! You cannot find a true, credible Islamic justification for that, no way. I’d love to see this quote of yours that you mention, is it a non-Muslim translation of the Qu’ran or a controversial translation? The most trusted English translation of the Qu’ran is by Marmaduke Pickthall and I have never seen such a thing written in there. Emancipation of a slave is seen as a really high act in Islam, thankfully this is not necessary anymore since slavery is not a problem like it used to be.

As for Indonesian female circumcision, I have no problem with people circumcising women if done correctly so that it does not harm the woman and her ability to have pleasure etc. It is possible for it to be done correctly, just like with men. If Indonesians are trying to standardise it then that means that they are aiming to remove the butchery element that some barbarians are fond of. That’s a good thing. Indonesians are very well educated and have a strong medical system, they will be able to do it justice I hope, for those people who insist on doing it to all their kids, boys or girls. The fact is, for women it’s is not encouraged in Islam, but only permitted, most Muslim women are not circumcised and most Muslims will agree with these assertions. It is not the norm and never has been no matter how much you try to spin it. The hadith that you mention is not considered to be authentic, here is a quote summarising the issue and the link for article from where it was taken, it’s a long article but explains the issue very well for people who are interested:

“Thus it is clear that in Islamic ruling, clitoridotomy is neither an obligation nor a sunna, with no evidence supporting either. Nor is it a sign of respect because all the hadith endorsing it are poor in authenticity. It is rather a custom, and as such it is not common in all Islamic countries; it is restricted to some. Besides, it is a custom that causes an absolute injury, the infliction of which on any person cannot be accepted without legitimate justification. It is an injury which, particularly in its psychological aspect, cannot be compensated for. If its practice and the injustice it involves, as it is practised in all its forms that are common in our country, causes a woman to lose her ability to enjoy sexual satisfaction, scholars rule that retribution or blood money is due.”

Islamset - Female Circumcision Neither a Sunna, nor a Sign of Respect: Male Circumcision, Chastity and modesty

Yes sodomy is a sin (and thus homosexuality) in Islam as in other religions and there are varying answers as to how homosexuals should be treated. I’m sure you’ll find all kinds of answers with some people suggesting murder, others suggesting ‘straightening them out’ and others that say just leave them be, their sins are between God and them. You’ll find these varying attitudes amongst Christians and Jews too. Obviously if you are gay that is no comfort but that is religion for you. You don’t have to follow it or like it. Each to their own.

As for the menstruating issue, yes women do not fast, formally pray etc. when they have their period, it is not because women are dirty and nasty which is the simplistic inference that people make (and unfortunately some Muslims contribute to because of their lack of knowledge and their sexism) but because all blood is considered unclean. Not just the blood of the womb. Muslims are constantly making ritual purifications/ablutions in order to be in the state of cleanliness that Islam requires for prayer. Vomit, blood, bodily fluids, urine, excrement etc. are all considered to make you unclean and therefore you have to clean when any of them are on you or your clothes. Even farting requires you to perform ritual cleansing (wudhu) again for the purpose of praying. Therefore, it follows that if you have your period and there is a constant presence of blood from your vagina then you cannot perform prayers etc. It is a great relief for some women to not have to fast/pray when they are on their period since some people feel really unwell during that time. Men and women can be amorous without having sex but sex is not allowed when on your period and this is believed to be because of health reasons (like male circumcision has been proven to be beneficial for men in scientific studies, maybe one day there will be a study that shows that having sex whilst on your period is bad for you, who knows?). I am sure there is some loser somewhere that locks his wife in a barn with the cows when she is on her period but this is not Islamically justifiable with the Qu’ran (or *authentic* hadith) and I am sure that most Muslims do not act in this way, but there are of course a range of opinions about the finer details and people favour different things according to their regional cultures and age old ancestral traditions.

I doubt you’ve been to many Muslim countries at all never mind the ones that you specifically criticise. Bangladesh is really not that oppressive. I applaud them for having a ‘law’ – as you say – against spousal rape/abuse at all. That is a good step to start with. I’m sure you can find many news stories about particular cases that are horrifying...but you find these kinds of cases in your own non-Muslim country too. Bangladesh has been cited as the country in the world with the most happiest people in a study by the LSE (the well designed and esteemed World Happiness Survey), this despite it’s poverty, natural disasters and the fact that the people are *gasp* Muslim. Bangladesh is not the hellhole that you describe. Bangladesh is run on British common law and so is Pakistan (legacy of British invasion/empire). Sure, when some guys can’t get their way with British law they try to find a way to manipulate religion to get what they want and justify it. Nothing unusual there, happens everywhere and will change as people get more educated.

Pakistan is a very liberal country in some parts. Places like Karachi are very open, free and cosmopolitan because it’s an economic centre and a port city. The south of the country is filled with Sufis, mystics and magicians, they can’t be all that Islamic (if at all, since practicing magic means that you are not Muslim at all according to the Qu’ran) if they are into the dark arts. The north is much more conservative because it is quite inaccessible and has always been resistant to change because of the threat of outsiders and invasion. Things were progressing there until the US govt. started bombing the people. Now the people are reverting back to insularity and hostility to outsiders, I don’t blame them considering what they’ve had to contend with. Pakistan is not the ghastly place that you and the media try to present. Every society has it’s social problems and as the Pakistani populace become more educated, which they are with a growing middle-class, things will change, some for the better (attitudes towards women etc.) some for the worse (i.e. conspicuous consumption).

I had to laugh at your mention of Benazir Bhutto’s assassination. That issue couldn’t be a poorer illustration of your argument, completely irrelevant! First of all, she was elected twice by the people (which are so horribly Muslim, sexist and vile apparently) of Pakistan. Very progressive for a nation that has been sovereign for about 50 years. She was a terrible corrupt leader and siphoned off a great deal of the public’s money to live a lavish lifestyle but that’s not a justification for her murder of course. Her two brothers were assassinated and most people point the finger at her husband (sadly now the leader of the country). Then she was assassinated. The whole Islamic extremists thing is BS and most people educated in Pakistan’s history know this. Fatima Bhutto, her niece, believes that Benazir’s husband Asif Zardari was responsible for her murder, and that is the prevailing belief amongst Pakistani people. He has benefitted tremendously from the deaths of her and her brothers. He is widely dubbed as ‘Mr 10 per cent’ and a gangster because that’s how he operates. The murder of his wife is not beyond him, believe me. The belief of outside political commentators is that her murder was committed by the internal secret services of the country because of a variety of political and strategic reasons. Again, the ‘Islamists killed her’ argument is widely discredited and usually peddled on morning news programmes in America. People should really read widely.

The ‘Taliban’ which are mainly Afghan and North Pakistani pashtuns (a particular tribe know for it’s fierce warrior like culture) have always existed. When it suited the US govt. they armed and trained those very people to fight the Russians and now they are given the ‘bad guy’ title of Taliban. Taliban or no Taliban the people of Afghanistan are quite intolerant to education and outsiders. With years of fighting off invaders, development and education has not happened at all. I feel bad for the Afghans though, their land is in a place that has always been coveted for economic and strategic reasons. Don’t believe the con that is the ‘war on terror’, it is a war for resources like all wars. Afghanistan and Pakistan were recently found to be extremely rich in minerals and natural gas...the Caspian Sea Gas Pipeline project is an old neo-con wet dream, it’s the real motivation for the wars there, but of course you won’t get that information from the TV or your government. Here’s a good article about it:

IT'S ALL ABOUT OIL!

Every country has a complex history, mix of cultures and religions. ‘A History of Islam’ is a good academic book written by a non-Muslim, Karen Armstrong, that describes how the Muslim world came to be and all the achievements of the Islamic civilisation of past. All countries need to go through a trajectory of development and education which many countries (some Muslim, some not) have not yet done so for a variety of reasons. You seem to be very arrogant about your part of the world, as if it is some kind of utopia. The US and Western Europe got to where they are today after countless gross injustices, theft, murder and destruction. It’s easy to be moral and smug after all the damage has been done and the world ravaged. You should really cut others a little slack. Let’s not forget that the US and European govts. today are still proponents of murder and injustice albeit in a more sly way i.e. divide and rule, supporting puppet regimes, exporting arms, artificially fixing prices of grain so that the poor suffer etc. Muslim/non-Western countries will improve with development and education and ultimately, time. The rise of the Eastern powers and their future dominance in the world will facilitate some of this too hopefully.

On a more general note, if Islam/Muslims were as intolerant and unbearable as you describe, I really doubt that there would be as many converts to Islam as there are in the world today. And there are so many, people are converting to Islam a lot, I know of so many converts in London. Would so many non-Muslims really become Muslim in this day and age if the things you say are true? People like Jermaine Jackson, Cat Stevens etc. Converts are usually very rigorous about studying the facts of Islam and the culture of Muslims before they convert. Muslims that are brought up with the title of Muslim are often way less informed about the religion and often do a fair amount of blind following.

I’ve written a mammoth essay here and I’m think I’m going to respectfully bow out of this thread now. I’m sure you will make many more wild statements based on poor evidence and prejudice and I can’t be bothered to argue with all of them, it’s not my job and life is too short to argue with ignorance. Each to their own I say. This thread was supposed to be about the ‘mosque’ (a word that was coined by Isabella & Ferdinand of the Crusades because they likened Muslims to mosquitoes, an annoyance that needed to be swatted, charming huh? After all that the Moors had done for Spain...) which by the way I don’t even support the building of lol.

Personally I prefer Specktra for the less serious stuff, the last thing I want to do after uni/work is to write essays...I have myself to blame, I shouldn't have let myself get lured to the 'Deep Thoughts' section
smiles.gif

Anyhow, I apologise for the length and wish you all well
th_kiss.gif

Alas, 2 conclusions that we all must come to in situations such as this...

Shadowy Lady

I'm guessing the idiot who was gonna burn a Koran changed his mind? Thank goodness, coz nothing good would come outta that except more hate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjarka
there has also been some controversy in terms of how the Koran has originally been translated into modern language. commonly Arabic languages like farsi has been used.

This is neither here or there but Farsi is NOT an Arabic language. I'm a native speaker of Farsi and very educated on the origins of Persians/ Persia and it's an Indo-European language; same root as all Latin languages. Arabic has totally different roots.

I'm a geek so i had to point out and correct as it's a very common misconception.

Bjarka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowy Lady
This is neither here or there but Farsi is NOT an Arabic language. I'm a native speaker of Farsi and very educated on the origins of Persians/ Persia and it's an Indo-European language; same root as all Latin languages. Arabic has totally different roots.

I'm a geek so i had to point out and correct as it's a very common misconception.

Thanks, I was not aware
smiles.gif

Point was that a lot get's lost intranslation
smiles.gif

btw the professor that made these studies unfortunately has to hide. When he used this way to translate, and the bit about the 50 virgins became something about juicy glass grapes :s ... well, he didn't become popular with the extremists.

I saw the interview with him in some documentary about the Koran and Islam. I was impressed with it. It really tried to show just how big a diversity there is within Islam, in terms of different groups, and how the Koran and other texts are used.

Some one was reading about how it said that when you steal you should have your hand chopped of... and then he continued to read "unless he repends cause allah is forgiving" (or something along those lines. I don't have a Koran to double check, and it is more than a year ago I watched this
smiles.gif
)

PMBG83

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_my_apple
I know! just in her one post she educated me on alot of things.

Yes she defitnitely wasnt playing in this thread. Completely agree with ya, drop science.
thmbup.gif

Cydonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliraksha

There are far weirder things going on in America like some southerner's display of affection for the Confederacy... or statues of General Lee. If they are going to oppose this, then we may have to go back in history to look at what we currently allow.

I don't get into religious discussions, so I will say this and respectfully bow back out, but I wouldn't call the south, or anywhere on the East Coast for that matter, "accepting" of representing the Confederacy. I live in a racially mixed area, where some areas lean heavily minority, and there have been riots and absolute mayhem here from someone displaying a Confederate flag on their car. Now I understand that it's a dead cause, but we still have freedom of speech in this country and if we're on here arguing about the freedom to have a mosque in New York... you get what I'm saying? It's all the same. Live and let live. I don't agree with any of it, I have my own beliefs, but I won't yell at someone for displaying their beliefs.

As for having statues or museums... General Lee deserves praise for being an excellent military man. For some, he is the symbol of slavery but that is due to ignorance in what the Civil War was about. We need to learn from our mistakes. Period. It's been said many times that if we don't learn about history, we're destined to repeat it. I've been to the Confederacy Museum in Richmond, VA and its very enlightening. No one in there promotes slavery of anyone, its simply to learn about what we did as a nation and WHY they seceded.

Sorry to hijack the thread, I just had to get that out there. I feel like too many people are sheltered on the slavery/Confederacy issues.

PMBG83

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorgeousJocey
black americans were killed by the kkk in the name of God, it was even a point when black americans could not be Mormon b/c it was the God-like thing to do so everyone targeting Muslims, really needs to do some history research b/c they jump to conclusions

Another well made point I missed while skimming!

Latest posts