Foundations for my makeup kit !!

DreamyFaces

Hi everyone,

I was hired for my 1st makeup job! I am a little nervous because although I have the majority of my products, I still don't have foundations and I am soooo confused on which shades to invest in! After all, I can't purchase 10 of them, because that is major money I don't have right now.... So my question to the experts is:

Which several shades of Studio Fix foundation should I invest in that are safe enough to match MOST complexions? I don't mind buying 2-3 shades for now. I was once told that NW20 is very common for Caucasian complexions. Also, it's safer to go lighter than darker, because you can always adding bronzer and blush to add more dimension and color. I am so lost.

Thank you sooooooo much!

P.S. - The gig is for a short film, if that makes a difference from still photos.

Regards,
DreamyFaces

laceface

If I were you I would really invest in a foundation palette. Like the RCMA Shinto Palette or a Kyrolan palette. They are TOO much more than a few bottles of Studio Fix. They will last you longer and are MUCH better for photography work. One thing I had to learn when becoming a makeup artist, if you don't invest in your foundations... you're not ready and you should not accept jobs.

breezybabe89

I found that the cheapest way for me to build my kit was to buy MAC's Face and Body mixing medium and the shades of MAC's Select Cover Up concealer. You can basically mix whatever color you need from that.

DreamyFaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by laceface
If I were you I would really invest in a foundation palette. Like the RCMA Shinto Palette or a Kyrolan palette. They are TOO much more than a few bottles of Studio Fix. They will last you longer and are MUCH better for photography work. One thing I had to learn when becoming a makeup artist, if you don't invest in your foundations... you're not ready and you should not accept jobs.

Omg, you are a lifesaver... and I agree,what's the use of eyeshadows and lipcolor if the skin isn't flawless?? That was what got me nervous! I am not fully prepared. Is this the RMCA palette you were referring to?

Product Details - Details about Products and tools for the professional makeup artist for print, tv, film, catalogues, bridal and more - with quality products Cinema Secrets, Collyre Bleu, Adesign Brushes, Face Atelier, Graftobian, Illuminare, Japone

Thank you for your help Laceface. I am really looking forward to your insight.

DreamyFaces

Hi Breezybabe89,

So you're saying to mix this Face and Body formula and buy the range of Select Cover Up concealers?

pretty~nyxie

im in the middle of building my kit myself and i've got my eye on the Graftobian Hi-Def super palettes. they each come with like 18 shades and they have 3 palettes (warm, cool, neutral). they are a little pricey for $60 each but from what i hear they are deff worth the money. They great for photography, TV, film... Heres the link:

Product Details - Details about Products and tools for the professional makeup artist for print, tv, film, catalogues, bridal and more - with quality products Cinema Secrets, Collyre Bleu, Adesign Brushes, Face Atelier, Graftobian, Illuminare, Japone

HTH! Good luck with your job and let us know how it went!

DreamyFaces

Good news! I ordered the RCMA Shinto palette and RCMA foundation thinner (1oz)....I really like the pro advice on this site - wow! Thank you ladies for opening my eyes to what else is out there for the budget-conscience!

I'll see you around on this forum!