Your biggest beauty regret?

revinn

Ever taking Tetracyclin for acne. MILD acne, at that, and for taking it without finding out about the risks. When I was 15, it gave me pseudo-tumor cerebri after 2 months of use. An entire month in the hospital, countless tests, misdiagnosis and 3 spinal taps later, I would never take anything like that without researching it first.

lavish_habits

Smoking....cause now I look older than my age (25), I saw the beginnings of fine lines at 20-21, way too young, when I was 20, my bf told me I could pass for 30, and yeah, I was p'd at him, but he wasnt trying to offend me, he was just being honest. In addition to slowly killing you, smoking really ages you, if I keep aging at this rate, I may look like the crypt keeper by time I'm 30. Smoking is not only my biggest beauty regret, but my biggest regret in general.

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelyanaphonexia
omg. I'm only in my 20s and I have so many already. I lived on the beach as a child and my parents let me go out without sunscreen and now I have horrible lines on my forehead.
ssad.gif

Biting my nails as a kid. Now my nails are thin, fragile and don't grow very long and if they do, they start to peel. It's sad and even with supplements they still look gross.

I bit mine too. I'm unfortunate enough to have fan shaped nails. Blah.
Quote:
I can understand this completely. I was a premie baby (2.5 months early!!) and therefore very very small when I was born and therefore lots of meds and other things to keep me alive. On top of always looking like I suffered from malnutrition, I started a heavy workout routine at 12. I joined hardcore sports teams (dance (mostly ballet), cheerleading, gymnastics, track, basketball, volleyball, swimming and tennis) that had me lifting weights like I was a fully grown adult and now I'm FIVE inches smaller than everyone in my family. My mom is 5'8" my dad is 6'3" and my brother is almost 6' and he is only 18 and I'm barely 5"3.
ssad.gif

I'm a good 9 to 12 inches shorter than my brothers, my 12 year old sister is my size, and yeah. I'm the midget. I know how you feel. :/
Quote:
Also, another regret dealing with all those sports are all the sports injuries I have accumulated. I have two bad knees (only one requires surgery to fix the deteriorating cartilage) one bad ankle, both my wrists are messed up from gymnastics, dance and breaking them over and over, four fingers that had been dislocated and broken and are therefore permanently crooked, broke my nose four times and it's bent out of shape, three herniated discs in my back and I have dancers feet, meaning all of my toes have been broken at some point and all my little toes curl under my foot and I have spurs and calluses all over the place not to even mention how all of my toe nails are deformed looking..... Basically my feet are NASTY and deformed looking from dance and gymnastics along with being on a drill team where the coach made us wear shoes that were too small to look more uniform. yeah...my body is falling apart from years and years of too many sports that pushed my young body beyond it's limits.
ssad.gif
cry.gif

I'm pretty involved in sports too, and I fully expect some ouches later in my life. :/

Tanning beds and over plucking are my biggest regrets. =/

k.a.t

I never understood the reason why sometimes over-plucked brows don't grow back..makes no sense to me =S

NatalieMT - I've heard about that laser treatment before apparently it gives reeally good results, very expensive though! It's not available for under 18's though
ssad.gif
although my skin is improving now that i'm using BP
greengrin.gif

As for me, I haven't really had any beauty regrets except for not starting a proper skin cleansing regime earlier on and not wearing any sunscreen on my face, when i do it's the kind you use on your body lool Oh and not moisturising everyday
ssad.gif
I'm so lazy..

NatalieMT

Yes very very good results (apparently it's only a small percentage of people it doesn't work on), but the change in your skin is so gradual that on a day to day basis you don't realise anything has happened. But when you see the photos before and after then it hits you what a big improvement has been made. For me it was certainly worth the money, especially after giving up hope of ever finding a solution.

I've not heard of it being unavailable to those under 18, I'm under 18 (although not for long) and no one ever mentioned my age being an issue at any point. They were more than happy to treat me and I've seen countless people younger than me in the same clinic for the same thing.

jardinaires

i'd have to say shaving the arches and ends of my eyebrows off about a year ago. i did this so i could draw on the arches and make them really sharp and precise, it looked cool while it lasted but when i got sick of having to draw them in to look even somewhat normal.. i tried to grow them back and they looked HORRIBLE for about 2 months.. now i constantly have to keep up with them so they don't get too crazy looking.. after the shaving, they grew in very wild.. and eyebrow stubble is never a cute look

kokometro

SUNBURNS!!!

I think I spent all my summers burned to a crisp. The kids in our neighborhood would sit around and peel each other's sunburned backs! We were outside from morning to night and crispy!

My mom and I used to lay out and put Crisco on our selves to get that deep tan. She's part Indian and I got NONE of that.. I got my dad's Irish traits. My mom tanned up and I fried like a braised turkey.

Then there was the baby oil and Iodine mixture for tanning.

I don't miss the 70's and 80's much for that.

Then...
I was a sunbed fiend for too many years. I'm fair, freckly and had no business tanning 3 times a day. I have done glyc treatments and retin-a and my skin is looking sooo much better. After I removed some of that discoloured skin I really started to appreciate my sunscreen.

sambee

Not moisturizing the face and definitely not washing my face every night before bed like I do now.

I'm not in the sun too much but I have had one or two terrible sun burns in my life one which has resulted in a permanent red area on my cheek.. it's nothing terrible but hopefully it will keep fading in time
ssad.gif
Sunscreen is your FRIEND!

glamdoll

I havent seen the backlash of it YET. But I always played soccer in 90 degrees or more without EVER using sunscreen.

I know how horrible it is NOW, but I didnt then. No one told me, and ugh, I cant believe it, I did for YEARS too. I apply SPF now even just to be at home.

MACForME

I think my biggest mistake was mad scrubbing with those harsh facial scrubs back in the late 80's. Like St. Ive's Apricot. I thought they'd get rid of any blackheads (they didn't!) Who knew the crushed shells were sharp and was actually ripping my skin up? Now I have broken capillaries on my cheeks.. not pretty and a b*tch to cover up.

kimmy

i probably should have never, ever shaved my brows off when i was younger. especially since they take forever and six weeks to grow in.
ssad.gif

rachybloom

I'm proud that I never ever tanned.. I've layed out from time to time, but always with sunscreen.. At first it was hard, living in Phoenix, since all the girls in my high school thought it was "hot" to be so orange and brown.. But I always just laughed and said "You won't look so hot when you look 50 when you're 30!"

I majorly over plucked my brows (like most tweens do when they're at that age :p).. It's been like five years since I first plucked them.. And I finally got them at my ideal shape (I think haha). If I ever have a daughter she is NOT allowed to touch her brows till she is 16.. I'm taking her to a waxer so she doesn't have that horrible experience haha :p

Also.. I used to blow dry my hair EVERY day.. and a lot of the times not use a protective serum (WHY? I don't know.. I feel so stupid now). I'm trying to grow my hair to my belly button (it's almost below my chest woohoo!) but it's growing so slow. I had to cut off a good two inches to get my hair healthy.. Bu I've been taking such good care of it that I can only hope it grows fast. I want to tell every girl who has long hair to never cut it! It's so pretty.. I use to have hair down to my butt when I was little and I want it back!

TDoll

Definitely over-plucking my brows in high school. I hadn't quite gotten the hang of it yet. My biggest regret is that it is forever evident in my senior picture. I just want to sharpie them in right on the huge one my mom has hanging in their house...lol

badkittekitte

hmmmm...i guess i would have to say brows! i had great brows naturally then i guess i wanted to be more mature and plucking them meant i was older....no clue but it made sense at the time...though i will admit, cant be worse then the time i accidently shaved half my brow off...grew back but not my brightest moment...ok short story is that i was conditioning my hair and shaving my legs at the same time and some conditioner was making its way to my eye so without thinking..the same hand that was shaving went up to wipe my brow and just sooo happen to shave some off....came out of the bathroom crying to my mom...classic me moment

emeraldjewels

OMG crazily when I was about 13 or 14 I trimmed my eyelashes!! I have really long eyelashes, and my cousin had shorter ones. She used to put mascara on me and say it was too hard cause my eyelashes were too long :0 So one day I took the scissors to them.

Thankfully they have grown back with very little damage, nice and long.

lunargen

I didn't know much about make-up before, and didn't ever realize that they had expiration dates. So what I did was I snuck my mom's concealer out and put it all over my face even though I didn't need it. I BROKE OUT LIKE CRAZY. I've never had pimples, and that so totally ravaged my face. Took me a year to clear it up. Fortunately it doesn't show that I ever had that sort of disaster on my face.

Brittni

Beauty related but not MU related: Not realizing in highschool when I was size 4/5 that I *WAS* skinny like everyone said.
ssad.gif

Korms

Like most people, eyebrows are my biggest regret. I have grown them back to an acceptable length and shape now but it's taken almost 3 years.

I regret a few of my tattoos, not because I don't want to be tattooed, but because I didn't think the designs out very well and now wish I had left the space for something else. It's costimg me a fortune to rectify this.

Every time I bleach my hair I always regret it after because it feels like crap, I'll do it then spend a year fixing the damage and then do it again! Argh! I also wish I'd never had all my hair cut off, I've been trying to grow it for 5 years now but end up with a short cut every time I go to the hairdressers (I ask for one, I don't really understand my logic!).

Mabelle

in june i got a tattoo that just didnt trun out like it was supposed to. there was major communication issues between mysefl and the artist, and he was just cold and seemed unintrested. I should have run for the hills at the first bad feeling, but i was stupid and got the damn thing. Well, i'm getting my 3rd laser session in 9 days. woot! it's lifting.
I regret it, but i'd a good life lession.

Once, when i was in the 7th garde, i plucked my eyebrows wayyyy too much in between my eyes. i dont know why, i didnt even have a unibrow. anyway, it was awful. I tried to fill it in with pencil for a couple of weeks, but i only had black pencil, so tahts what i used. Everyone kept asking me why i was filling in my brows with black (i was dirty blond), i was so embarassed, buti kettelling people it was my brows, and i wasnt filling them in. My the time i had everyone conviced, they had grown back.

Kuuipo

25 years ago I was tatooing people while in grad school, and I got tattoos on my arms. I regret them, and they look dumb in formal attire and many people are still so narrow minded that they judge a woman because she has tattoos.