1st MAC Purchase!!

Plm5027

Hello I'm looking to make my first MAC purchase, I know MAC is a more expensive brand but I guess it's the best brand. Anyone have any ideas of what I should buy first? Also does anyone know how much the Mac counter charges for a makeover I'm looking to spend under $100. Thanks

revinn

In Canada, I know they charge $55 and you get a free mascara..at least that's how much it's costing me for prom make-up in June. I find that when I go in and ask about blush or foundation, they generally sit me down and do some stuff for free. I think the first thing you should purchase is a really good foundation and a Mineralize Skinfinish Natural. The most important part of making make-up look good is a beautiful, flawless base, IMO.

pahblov

In Canada, if you got a counter for a makeover you pay $50 but it all goes to product, and if you go to a freestanding or pro store, it's $55 with a free mascara. The difference is that at the stores, you get the artists undivided attention, and an area with a big mirror etc. I think it's the same concept in the states, but the prices are probably a little different.

MAC is actually one of the less expensive high end brands. At least, that's how I justify it to myself when I'm about it make a haul.

Probably everyone is going to tell you something different, but I think a good place to start is a couple good brushes! No matter how high quality your makeup is, if you don't have good tools it won't look as good, and if you have good tools, even lesser quality makeup can look good.

trollydolly

with regards to which product you should buy i agree with revvin that foundation is always a good start because it gives u a good base to work with. but i think its up to you really, you need to buy something that you know you're going to use. its no good buying a foundation because we recommend it if ur not a foundation girl for example.
i also agree that makeup is all about the application, even the most expensive foundation can look awful if applied incorrectly.
work out what items of makeup you would use work from there. if you have a makeover then the makeup artist can find you some lovely products that look great on you. start with the basics and work your way up from there.

nunu

i think you should buy some basic stuff like a foundation, powder or concealer and from there look at eyeshadows, blushers and lipsticks
smiles.gif

hth

AppleDiva

Contact your local MAC store or counter and they will tell you how much it will cost. I know in the US, the fee differs by region.

athena123

Hi PLM and welcome! In SoCal, you can make an appt. for a makeover at a MAC counter. You need to spend $50 when the MA is done toward MAC products, so the makeover is free. I would hold off on purchasing foundation, however. I loved what the MA did with my eyes and the foundation looked good in the store, but when I got outside horrors! I looked like I was suffering from jaundice or hepatitus, it looked so yellow... Request a sample of the foundation she [or he uses] and see how you like it outdoors and when you apply it at home before you take the plunge.

You will find some fantastic eyeshadows, blushes and lip glosses/lip glasses/lip sticks to spend your $$ on I promise!

Enjoy,

Athena

Flammable

In Toronto, a makeover at the counter (at the Bay) will cost $45 redeemable on products whereas a makeover at a freestanding store will cost $55 (not redeemable towards products) and you get a free mascara.
If you don't have the basics then go with concealer/foundation/brushes for the application thereof, otherwise have your pick from the astounding range of eyeshadows/lipsticks/lipglosses.