A couple of counter questions...

So, I'm not eighteen yet, but I will be in 3.5 months! Now, I realize that it looks kind of bad that I'm so young and will be applying to cosmetic retailers, but I realized about six months ago (after about a year of wearing makeup), that I really had a passion for cosmetics.

My first question is... which brands are most comfortable with or tolerant of male employees? I mean, I know MAC hires men, but I'm not sure about others. I believe that Benefit and Sephora would hire me as well, but those are just three options, and there are a lot of brands out there.

Second question: I spend a lot of time at my MAC counter. I ask a lot of questions and have even been told that I know some of the products better than the people that work there. I'm on a first name basis with the manager and the assistant manager. Now, I don't want to advertise that this happened, but I've been given an application by the assistant manager to fill out and bring in when I turn 18. My question is... will it actually help my hiring process if they know me previously and know of my makeup knowledge? My guess is that it probably will help, as I don't think that they actively encourage their regular customers to apply... but I can't help but wonder if it could actually work in terms of the hiring process.

OfficerJenny

I know i've seen men working at MAC, Sephora, Bare Escentuals, Chanel, and Dior.

as for being friends with the manager, I'm really not sure. But I am in a similar situation as you :3

Ack! A response! (by the way, love your videos
greengrin.gif
)

Yeah, my main concern is about being male. I know that a lot of the more distinguished counters for the 40 year old women who are trying to dodge the bullet of aging are probably out of the question. In fact, a friend of mine tried to go that route and it didn't really work. It's just that with brands now that cover a lot of different demographics, it's hard to tell where I'd be slightly more accepted.

the_guy

I too am a male working in the industry... In my eyes most brands are pretty male friendly and clients actually really love male makeup artist. so if you've got a brand in mind go for it i say.

lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Aesthetic
Ack! A response! (by the way, love your videos
greengrin.gif
)

Yeah, my main concern is about being male. I know that a lot of the more distinguished counters for the 40 year old women who are trying to dodge the bullet of aging are probably out of the question. In fact, a friend of mine tried to go that route and it didn't really work. It's just that with brands now that cover a lot of different demographics, it's hard to tell where I'd be slightly more accepted.

Wow.

You're going to have a hell of a time in make-up retail with that kind of attitude.

baybehbekah

being a male will not be your problem for any counter. i think the only thing that will play a factor is your skill and age. i don't mean that in a bad way, i just think thats what your challenges will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lara
Wow.

You're going to have a hell of a time in make-up retail with that kind of attitude.

I'm sorry, that statement of mine was hardly accurate. I was mainly generalizing based on the demographics I've seen, and that was unfair of me. It was hyperbole and I was only emphasizing a point, and that point is that a lot of counters such as Clinique or Prescriptives, or even Lancome and Estee Lauder are almost always geared towards having a female clientele. Also, they generally have a more mature, female client base, but that doesn't make my statement accurate.

And as far as I'm concerned, the aging part of my statement was simple enough... I don't like women (or men, for that matter) who try to buy everything that they can to look younger when it's just natural progression to grow older and more mature. I'm all for having good skin and aging gracefully, but there is a point where it's a little absurd.

My statement does not mean that I somehow am against these counters, or against mature women... it's just that their hiring demographic is often different than some other brands, at least in my experience.

YSLGuy

I'm a male and have worked for many department stores and cosmetic lines. I have never had my gender be a problem in hiring or working with customers.

As long as you have the expereince, knowledge and skills..that will speak for itself.

I have often been told that I do makeup better than most women. That will really help you out if you are good.

jenavii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Aesthetic
I'm sorry, that statement of mine was hardly accurate. I was mainly generalizing based on the demographics I've seen, and that was unfair of me. It was hyperbole and I was only emphasizing a point, and that point is that a lot of counters such as Clinique or Prescriptives, or even Lancome and Estee Lauder are almost always geared towards having a female clientele. Also, they generally have a more mature, female client base, but that doesn't make my statement accurate.

And as far as I'm concerned, the aging part of my statement was simple enough... I don't like women (or men, for that matter) who try to buy everything that they can to look younger when it's just natural progression to grow older and more mature. I'm all for having good skin and aging gracefully, but there is a point where it's a little absurd.

My statement does not mean that I somehow am against these counters, or against mature women... it's just that their hiring demographic is often different than some other brands, at least in my experience.

Good Save.

I thnk you'd have good shot at Benefit. I was talking to a girl at my local benefit counter and she was hiried just out of high school with NO experience, make up or retail. Maybe you can start there for experience and work your way up

YSLGuy

Sometime just having a passion for the job is enough. You will gain product knowledge etc once you are on the job.

aleksis210

It won't matter at all that you are a guy, I worked with a male @ lancome(well he worked at estee lauder right next to me) and I also worked with a male at Sephora(he was the NICEST person there, and was awesome with sales) The only thing that will matter is your personality,and skill..I got hired at Lancome when I was 18...
winks.gif

Sugar Cane

I know that Estee Lauder hires Males. I think that if you impressed the mananger at MAC with your product knowledge enough that he offered you an app. than that is a good sign,obviously your passion shines through! Good Luck!!