A question about the plastic of the pigment jars

MissResha

some of my jars have those same lines.

is there a tiny gap between the seal of the jar? i ask because i know that fake jars are SUPER TIGHTLY closed, while theres a slight gap on authentic jars.

MAC_Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissResha
some of my jars have those same lines.....

Same here.
winks.gif

MissResha

i honestly think its some of the newer jars. my older ones dont have those lines. like, i have an Old Gold from waay back, maybe 2 or 3 years ago lol. and it doesnt have them. but i bought Provence recently from my CCO and it has those lines.

VDUB*BELLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissResha
i honestly think its some of the newer jars. my older ones dont have those lines. like, i have an Old Gold from waay back, maybe 2 or 3 years ago lol. and it doesnt have them. but i bought Provence recently from my CCO and it has those lines.

Yes! totally agree... Some pigments I have from 2005 & 2006 dont have the lines but I think anything after 2007 they started to have the lines

caffn8me

The containers used by M·A·C for its pigments certainly used to be sourced as a standard product from a third party rather than made exclusively for M·A·C. It's entirely possible that there will occasionally be manufacturing variations such as the lines within the jar which are beyond M·A·C's control.

You certainly can't use presence or absence of such lines as an indicator of authenticity.

It's also possible that M·A·C has switched to another supplier of jars. Until I get my hands on a new pigment jar I won't be able to tell you if that's the case or not.

TISH1124

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDUB*BELLA
Yes! totally agree... Some pigments I have from 2005 & 2006 dont have the lines but I think anything after 2007 they started to have the lines

That is what I am noticing with mine as well...Probably different supplier....I know we used to swtich all the time for BE manufacturing if the price was better....or the previous supplier couldn't meet our volume demands

panda0410

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffn8me
The containers used by M·A·C for its pigments certainly used to be sourced as a standard product from a third party rather than made exclusively for M·A·C. It's entirely possible that there will occasionally be manufacturing variations such as the lines within the jar which are beyond M·A·C's control.

You certainly can't use presence or absence of such lines as an indicator of authenticity.

It's also possible that M·A·C has switched to another supplier of jars. Until I get my hands on a new pigment jar I won't be able to tell you if that's the case or not.

ITA. MAC has been going through a number of packaging manufacturing upgrades and there are a number of variations actually in jars including lids - and no, not all of them have a space between the lid lip and and the jar.

Its important that when we look for proof of authenticity we consider other factors as well, other components of packaging. The use of a single mark like these lines which are an obscure feature at best could lead to the wrong conclusion. To date I have only seen ONE trademark that can be relied upon for authenticity - and not all jars have it!!

panda0410

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipgloss
This is precisely why I opened this thread: because all of my pigments were bought at the mac store, got those lines and I had never seen anyone mentionning them in the counterfeit thread while it was something pretty noticeable to me because my 3 pigments got them (3 points are enough to start to draw a straight line). I never claimed this as an absolute proof of authenticity but wouldn't call it an "obscure feature" either. I pretty much know that Mac are rather loosy and inconsistent with their packaging and mainly wanted to be sure that if I ever was getting a pigment that doesn't have those lines, it could be anyway considered as authentic (as I said, I am waiting for a Steel Blue pigment I have purchased on ebay and hope it will be authentic). I was not posting a rule whatsoever: I don't have this kind of pretence... Now it's good to know that if my Steel Blue's jar is ever unlined, it still will have a chance to be authentic anyway.

As has been mentioned its not in all jars, and its not terribly noticeable either - i.e. obscure. My Pink Opal has them but unless you look SUPER closely and under a bright light you certainly WONT see them, the colour of this pigment makes it quite difficult to see.

I certainly wouldnty consider this feature in the sole determination of a counterfeit item. There are far more obvious things to look for in counterfeits and I would hope that your call for authenticity is not based soley on these lines. There are plenty of threads here that actually show you what to look for - in detail - and they are current.