acne - is it true?

DirtyPlum

oh hun.... get rid of Clinique. there stuff is shockingly bad. I didnt realise how bad it was until i started using Dermologica / Clarins.

Their shit is practically raw chemicals IMO and broke me out but I was younger then and didnt know better so carried on using it.

I ended up taking the pill to sort out my acne in the end.
Other tips are not to touch your face and keep your brushes clean. With clinique is like being in a vicious circle, its full of alcohol (clarifying lotion) that will dry your skin, thus making it produce more oil and break you out. trust me... I am a living breathing example of this.

dont over wash your face either... that will dry it out and ur back at square one. i feel bad saying this, cos obviously you spent money on clinique. but its worth a visit back there to ask if you can give the clarifying lotion back to change it for something else - dont even go for the more milder one... get a lip gloss or something instead.

HTH

glam8babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyPlum
i feel bad saying this, cos obviously you spent money on clinique. but its worth a visit back there to ask if you can give the clarifying lotion back to change it for something else - dont even go for the more milder one... get a lip gloss or something instead.

HTH

i bought it online from boots, im not sure if i'd be able to take it back now? i've used quite abit of it and it didn't even come in a box
thmbdn.gif
i havent used it today but i washed my face with dove soap and it feels like less bumpy

Simply Elegant

Quote:
Originally Posted by glam8babe
i wish i could, its just too expensive here
ssad.gif
thmbdn.gif

If you go to your GP, they can prescribe some lower dosage creams and pills, at least here they can and it'll be cheaper. They're more effective than drugstore products for persistent acne.

miss_supra

It depends on ther person's skin. My Dermatologist stated on average you get worse before you get better, but it really depends on your own skin.

yummiebitez

Quote:
no it isnt time of the month
ssad.gif
the only thing i have done is changed my skin routine, i hardly eat junk food and i drink lots of water
im hoping its just my skin getting used to it

i didnt know chanel did an acne control line ill have to check it out
smiles.gif
thanks!

Maybe it's not really working? I tried that set too and it didn't really do me any good. Tried Proactiv... that didn't work. What I found worked the best on me is the Pure Luxe Calmine Soap Bar at pureluxecosmetics.com. OMGGGGGGG....... since then I haven't had any bad breakouts. Maybe once when it's that time of the month. Not to mention it's super cheap and it's a natural product.

rachybloom

I know how you feel.. Your skin could be "purging" all the bad stuff out.. But I honestly think a good product shouldn't do this. Switch to DDF. I use their Blemish Foaming Cleanser in the AM and the Brightening Cleanser in the PM. Both last me a good eight months and my skin stays clear. I use the Sulfur Mask once a week too. I have really dry skin and it doesn't irritate my skin at all, but keeps it really clear. Hope your skin gets better soon! Breakouts stink :/

widdershins

When I'm having a bad skin day (or week ha!) I use a really cheap but effective treatment: aspirin mask! Just get a bunch of un-coated aspirin and mix with a little bit of water (it will be a grainy paste) and then add some honey. Honey is a natural antibacterial agent and heals your skin while the salicylic acid helps with the breakout. It works for me when a really bad breakout and I just want to hide!

The best advice that I can offer is that gentler is better. I would get a really gentle face wash and then maybe an acne treatment like a salicylic acid gel and a good moisturizer.

sonnebutti

try differin. It's available only by prescription in the us I think. I use it every night (careful with your eyes and the sides of the nose) and in the morning I use a oil free moisturizer. it's really good. you put it and 5minutes later your skin it's shining, like if the oil is being pushed to the surface. dont know how to explain it, but i've read the experience of a girl in bella sugar differin | Acne, differin, Skin Care | BellaSugar - Beauty, Hair, & Skin.
see for yourself! hope it helps.. sure helped me, cant live without it.

PBunnieP

Hi Glambabe,

First off, a big hug for you
smiles.gif
I've been dealing with acne and breakout-prone skin since I was 12-13 yrs old and I'm now 19 so can definitely relate to what a PINTA it can be.

Secondly, I just want to give you my ideas regarding the products your are using. I've actually used the entire Clinique skincare line [the regular one] AND the Acne Solutions Line [the green bottles]. For one thing, I feel that the toner from both ranges are WAY TOO STRONG! Honestly, I still have some left but I only ever use it as a once a week treatment when I'm feeling SUPER OILY. I would never recommend it for twice-a-day use like they tell you to. I would try to avoid any toners with large amounts of alcohol and by "large" i mean that if you can SMELL it... you probably shouldn't use it.

I would also suggest, that you dont wash your face that often... like others have said, it will only make your skin think it is lacking moisture and then in turn produce MORE oil, it becomes a never ending cycle.

You should also look into AHA or BHA products if your skin isn't too sensitive. Although these are normally used for anti-aging properties, they help chemically exfoliate your skin which can really help with breakouts. I have personally weaned off most of my acne medications and use AHA or BHA products instead.

These are my main tips, I do hope you get better soon.
I've done a few videos on acne skincare if you are interested.

YouTube - PBunnieP's Channel

TDoll

Hey girl.... I know that acne is for sure humbling and it can make you feel so ashamed. The past few months, I've had some acne issues, which I never have really dealt with before. I ended up attributing it to the type of birth control I was on. Since stopping, my skin is FINALLY healing and heading back to normal...It was totally hormonal. ANYWAY, I've used the Proactiv system for the past 7 or 8 years. It's always worked wonderfully for me. I find that my skin reacts better to the benzoyl peroxide rather than systems that use salicylic acid. I dunno, it's worth a try. I actually stopped using it about 3 months ago just to see if I could start using something un-medicated...since my skin was so good. Well, turns out my skin is good because I use it...lol. I totally broke out when I stopped using it.

I know that everything works differently for everyone, but I really like this stuff. I hope you find a solution and that it gets better!

aimerbijoux

awww I know how you feel. i've suffered from acne for a while and right now i'm at my all time worse. before it was just on my chin but since i had a full facial wax, my ENTIRE face has broken out. i'm the most depressed i've ever been and i'm only 18 years old, starting college in a week and I feel disgusting.

Right now i'm using the Biore icy cleanser (which is extremely drying) and some dermatologist prescribed antibiotics and acne cream. I haven't been using it consistently which is why i'm not seeing ANY results but i'm going to get better with that. Not to mention I rarely drink water and my diet is horrible
ssad.gif
blah.

I hope it works out for you hun
smiles.gif
. Then again it could just be our hormones peaking since I think we are similar in age.

gardenteaparty

the clinique three step system worked wonders on my pimples but after a while the clarifying lotion was drying out my skin way too much. But the products didn't cause me any acne at all. I can suggest maybe you start an elimination process, especially avoid using the clarifying solution as thats way to harsh on skin. After trying out Dermalogica for about two weeks I'm straying away from clinique. Dermalogica gave me soft, moisturized skin unlike the clarifying lotion and it did help my skin clear up.

abbyquack

I posted a similar response in another thread about acne products, and basically the only thing I will caution you on is not using too many harsh products to try to get rid of acne. A lot of people if one doesn't work, will try product after product containing harsh chemicals, scrubs, etc that eventually damage the skin, sometimes even permanently. So use gentle natural products that are not irritating and drying if you can.

I too know how horrible acne can be. If it gets really bad, like scarring, then definitely get to your dermatologist, but if it's just a bad breakout, try maintaining it as best you can and remember the people around you (friends, family, etc) who don't care that you've got a couple of bumps and most likely don't notice it as much as you! Good luck!

MAC_addiction<3

my skin is exactly the same at the moment its awful, i just posted a thread about skin care products to try but it sounds like i won't be trying clinique! Hope it clears up soon Becky!
xox

glam8babe

i havent used any of the clinique stuff in a few days and it's deffo cleared up abit! i've just been using dove soap then an oil free moisturiser and it seems to work fine. My mum uses dove soap to clean her skin and she doesnt even have any wrinkles and shes almot 50! so i might just keep a simple routine but get a new moisturiser because im running out

alot of you have mentioned clarins - really wanna try it! on one girls blog she is a swedish glamour model and her skin is soo perfect and she uses biotherm and clarins moisturiser so i may check it out! thanks for all your responses

chameleonmary

The only reason you may possibly breakout before your skin clears up, is when you are on Roaccutane (or Accutane).

If you have broken out after switching products or trying 'new' formulations it may be an ingredient that triggered it, but technically nothing should really make you 'break out' first except perhaps a facial or rejuvenating treatment.

I now cleanse with Dermalogica Anti-Bac gel cleanser, use their oil free moisturiser (great makeup base, too) and exfoliate gently using the anti bac wash and a simple scrub every second day.

Source: battled with severe cystic acne for too, too long and a good relationship with my dermatologist and beautician.

MAC_addiction<3

Quote:
i havent used any of the clinique stuff in a few days and it's deffo cleared up abit! i've just been using dove soap then an oil free moisturiser and it seems to work fine. My mum uses dove soap to clean her skin and she doesnt even have any wrinkles and shes almot 50! so i might just keep a simple routine but get a new moisturiser because im running out

alot of you have mentioned clarins - really wanna try it! on one girls blog she is a swedish glamour model and her skin is soo perfect and she uses biotherm and clarins moisturiser so i may check it out! thanks for all your responses

Ive been wanting to try clarins for a while aswell but havent got round to it. Has anyone tried the freederm gel? ive heard really good things about that aswell so im going to try it next week! I Think its only out in the UK but im not 100% sure!
Dendron - Freederm - Freederm Gel

glam8babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_addiction<3
Ive been wanting to try clarins for a while aswell but havent got round to it. Has anyone tried the freederm gel? ive heard really good things about that aswell so im going to try it next week! I Think its only out in the UK but im not 100% sure!
Dendron - Freederm - Freederm Gel

i tried freederm a few years ago, it seemed ok but i didnt have too many spots then. I may have to try it out again i totally forgot about it!
thmbup.gif

MAC_addiction<3

Quote:
i tried freederm a few years ago, it seemed ok but i didnt have too many spots then. I may have to try it out again i totally forgot about it!
thmbup.gif

Yea ill let you know how i get on with mine when i get it next week
x