Advice on getting a Cosmetic counter job.

Hello Everyone. I am new, so I am learning how to use this site. I apologize, if there were a lot of threads that would already answer my question. I just am having a hard time learning how this works!

Ok here is my story.

I am a licensed cosmetologist, and I graduated from Cosmix with a make-up artist diploma. I Live in St. Louis Missouri, and I am having a really tough time finding a job. I would like to start out at a make-up counter, preferably MAC. I have facial piercings, and I am planning on putting some dread extensions in my hair, so I just think that Mac would suit me the best.

I went to the one in Nordstroms and asked if they were hiring and the girl had no idea how to get a job there, or if they were hiring. I though that was really weird, because how did she get her job. hahaha. I read on MAC's website that you go through the department store, so I filled out their online application, talk about longest process ever. I have heard in the past that you have to get the application through the MAC counter, and go through them, did that change?

What I would really like is some advice as to go about getting a job for them! It has been sort of difficult! Thank you so much! Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Trace

I'm not sure if things have changed, but you want to get an application from Nordstroms. Get yourself familiar with the girls at the MAC counter, and wear your makeup so that they can see what you can do. Show them your personality as well. Being enthusiatic and outwardly passionate about the makeup will help and the customers at the counter will engage and before you know it, you will have caught the eye of the counter manager and perhaps that will lead to a job. Don't over do it, but be there to support the events and product launches - let them see you.
th_DANCE.gif
Now go on with your bad self!

MakeupMuffin

I've been trying to get a cosmetic job also and it's really hard. The economy is really bad, even if you do get a job it will be challenging to keep your sales goal. No one's really hiring right now. I have my certificate too and the closest I got was being temp for a girl going on maternity leave at the Chanel counter. I was debating whether or not I should but I passed. Another interview for me tomorrow. Good luck and keep trying.

MakeupMuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissVivaMac
only nordies is through the dept store all others you go thru the mac counter

Really??? I seriously didn't know.

stacylynne

I agree with Trace. Get to know the MAC girls at your local counter.
Go there with full face makeup, but don't go crazy, just enough they can see your talent & skills .

Show off you personality, but don't go in there that you know everything. But show that you are familiar with the line

Thank you for all your advice! I have an Interview for Macy's on Tuesday. That Macy's does not have a MAC counter, but I feel why not start somewhere! Hopefully I can transfer to a MAC at a different mall! I hope the interview goes well!!!

Trace

pompom.gif
So, how was the interview??? At our counter, we had people dying to get in with MAC... but they didn't get hired or we weren't hiring. You have to take a makeup job at another counter and wait... keep visiting the MAC counter, get to know the girls and let them know what your ultimate goal is - TO BE AT THE MAC COUNTER (but stay true to your current position) and keep an ear out for when they are hiring. You will get your shot!

My interview is this coming Tuesday! I will let you know all about it afterwards!!! Yeah I hope eventually I will end up at M.A.C.! Thanks!!