Air travel with makeup -- suggestions!?

visivo

I am going away for ten days, and I want to make sure I don't have any fatalities in the lipgloss/product department… I'm flying.

I always carry makeup with me in the cabin, but I have had a lip gelee explode before -- how can I safely pack these and ensure their safe arrival?

smiles.gif
Thanks.

mel0622

travel like in the car plain or whatever? i'd get maybe a small cheap traincase from target or something. as for putting it like in ur purse umm not so sure lol. normally i just put it in a little pouch in my purse. just try not to squish it?

visivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel0622
travel like in the car plain or whatever? i'd get maybe a small cheap traincase from target or something. as for putting it like in ur purse umm not so sure lol. normally i just put it in a little pouch in my purse. just try not to squish it?

Oops, sorry. I meant to say by plane. I have a little traincase and its less about squishing and more about preventing explosions/burst tubes because of the altitude n' air pressure. I guess you can't really help it, but I wonder if squeezing a bit of air out before I leave would help, like with the gelées and shampoo and stuff…

mel0622

oh i'm sorry. i guess i cant really help cuz i've only been on a plane once to florida so i didnt wear much MU there. u cuz its all yucky humid there.

user2

When I had to fly to a friend, the airline had a weight limit for onboard-baggage and because I had to have my notebook with me I had to choose!
So I put everything that might not break (Mascara, foundations and stuff like that) in my traincase in my suitcase! Stuff that easily breakes likes e/s, MSF or palettes were in my onboard-baggage! I would put as much soft stuff as you can possibly have in your traincase like cottonballs, wipes or even socks so that nothing can fly around in it! And if you're worried about the Lipgelée....just put it in your pocket and "watch" it during the flight!

Hth!

caffn8me

You can certainly squeeze air out of any containers which are squishy and replace the cap tightly and that will help to prevent leaks and explosions. It's also worth putting anything which contains liquid inside a ziplock bag to prevent the contents going everywhere should there be a leak or an explosion. The pressure in the cargo hold is exactly the same as in the cabin - something which people often don't realise so there will be just as much pressure damage to items carried in the cabin. What you avoid by carrying stuff in the cabin is the damage done by the ramp rats (baggage handlers) who don't exactly treat stuff gently! There's also much less chance of things going missing from carry-on bags than checked bags.

n_j_t

Just don't check anything that's liquid and would explode (shampoos, lipglosses, foundations, lotions, etc). Put all that stuff in your carry-on. I actually just got back from Cuba and didn't have any trouble with anything exploding. I had a lipgelee with me and no problems. Cabin pressure shouldn't do that. I wrapped my palettes in bubble wrap and put them in my makeup bag, which went in my carry-on.

Hope that helped! Have a great trip!
smiles.gif

caffn8me

Cabin pressure changes are a lot more than most people imagine. On many of my flights I end up being given a small bottle of Crystal Springs mineral water with my meal. If you have a similar bottle an interesting experiment is to empty it at cruising altitude, screw the lid back on tightly and watch it as you come in to land. By the time you land it will have imploded. There is no difference between cabin air pressure and cargo hold air pressure.

visivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffn8me
Cabin pressure changes are a lot more than most people imagine. On many of my flights I end up being given a small bottle of Crystal Springs mineral water with my meal. If you have a similar bottle an interesting experiment is to empty it at cruising altitude, screw the lid back on tightly and watch it as you come in to land. By the time you land it will have imploded. There is no difference between cabin air pressure and cargo hold air pressure.

Right, which is why we feel it too! Okay, looks like I'll do what I usually do -- ziplocks, squeeze the air out, and take most of it with me (you know, the valuables gotta be close by )
winks.gif

caffn8me

I hope you have a great flight and it doesn't take you forever to go through the TSA screening. Good luck!

caffn8me

[puts on scientific nerd hat]
Some research into cabin pressures at different altitudes and a quick back of the envelope calculation reveals the following. At a typical cruising altitude the pressure inside the cabin will be about 11psi - at sea level it will be nearer 15psi. This means that for every square inch of the container, a force of about four pounds will be exerted if the inside pressure is at takeoff pressure and the cabin is at crusing altitude pressure. The deformable surface area of a lipgelee tube is approximately 5 square inches which means that the pressure is equivalent to a 20 pound load applied to the tube from the inside. No wonder they leak sometimes! The liquid is unaffected by changes in cabin pressure so squeezing as much air out as possible will indeed stop the contents being forced out.
[/takes off scientific nerd hat]