Akon accused of molesting a 14 year old on stage.

Janice

Verizon dropped their sponsorships deals with him. One was ringtones of Akon, and they also pulled out as a sponsor of Gwen Stefani's tour.

Sorry if this has already been posted in this thread.
oh.gif

ETA - link

Shimmer

More astounding is that if some random man did this while a random woman was walking down the street he would be charged with sexual assault.
It's all in context.

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
More astounding is that if some random man did this while a random woman was walking down the street he would be charged with sexual assault.
It's all in context.

I doubt a random man would have a random womman jump on top of him and grind on him as he was walking down the street. Having the whole thing on tape, it's hard to really say he didn't do anything she didn't want.

Shimmer

Not the point.
It's still context.

Acting in that manner to a stranger on the street is unacceptable, but acting in that manner to a stranger in a club/concert environment is apparently okay.

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
Not the point.
It's still context.

Acting in that manner to a stranger on the street is unacceptable, but acting in that manner to a stranger in a club/concert environment is apparently okay.

Yeh, basically. It's ok to behave in certain ways depending on where your at. Just like I would feel fine kissing someone in a park, but if I was at Midnight Mass with my family on Christmas Eve, making out wouldn't in the pews wouldn't be well recieved.

Had they done that in public, lets say, on the sidewalk of a main street, and witnesses seen what they did, I still don't think it would have been sexual assault. If she was saying NO, STOP! And he continued, then yes. But if she's getting up on top of him, you would have a hard time convincing anyone that she didn't do it willingly. Especially if it was on film, regardless of location.

Beauty Mark

The film quality is pretty poor. Even if she were grinding him before, how do we know she didn't say "Stop!" when he was throwing her about?

I don't think she did because of the way the accusations are reading, but it's a possibility.

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty Mark
The film quality is pretty poor. Even if she were grinding him before, how do we know she didn't say "Stop!" when he was throwing her about?

I don't think she did because of the way the accusations are reading, but it's a possibility.

There were plenty of witnesses on stage, so if she wanted him to stop I'm sure someone would have heard it.

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty Mark
It took him this long to apologize?!

The real kicker, do you really think he means a word of it?

giz2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raerae
You guys never walked out the door looking, "conservative" and then put on the clothes you had in your purse which Mom didn't know about? lol. Or had on other clothing under a like a hoodie or something?

Believe it or not, I never did that..seriously!!!

I was such a goodie two shoes!

MAC_Pixie04

I don't think the point of this is whether or not she left the house that way or snuck out of the house that way. So 14 is what, 9th grade? What 9th grader belongs at an Akon concert at a nightclub? What responsible parent doesn't know where their 9th grader is at night? And if i'm correct, this occured on April 12th? That's a Thursday. I dunno about Trinidadian school systems, but that's a school night for most. Again I ask, what responsible parent doesn't know where their 9th grader is on a school night? I'm not a parent yet, but you best damn well believe my child will have her ass at home, and if she's not at home, I'm going to make it my duty to know where the hell she is. Parents lacking that kind of responsibility and knowledge in their kids' activities and whereabouts are the parents who get a phone call from the police department or morgue in the middle of the night.

A 14 year old has no business in a nightclub, PERIOD. The same way a grown ass man has no business humping a young woman, again whether she be 14 or 25 or whatever. It's crude, it's crass and its disrespectful. However I have to agree, for someone whose song lyrics spell out nothing but misogyny (sp?) and a lack of respect and value for women, is it really that farfetched? Did anyone really expect him to bring a woman up, sit her on a chair and sing around her with a rose in a romantic fashion? This guy sings a song that proclaims how bad he wants to fuck a stripper, and bend a woman over "til she can't take no more."

It's ridiculous to defend his actions or hers, but I will say that some of the blame should be placed on this nightclub for not executing stricter rules on checking identification. They somehow allowed a fourteen year old, presumably 9th grade girl into the environment, why hasn't anybody sanctioned them or questioned them? Why isn't any of the responsibility on their shoulders?

And I have to agree with the previous comment, that if this had happened to a girl of legal age, nobody would care as much. And I'm sure people would care even less if it were two non-famous people of legal age humping and bumping on each other at a nightclub, oh wait....this happens everynight and twice as often on Thursdays, cuz it's ladies' night!

It's not okay, none of the behavior of the parties involved is okay or defendable. Not the girls, the parents, Akon's or the nightclub.

Latest posts