All about ACNE

Lavande

Thanks for your response! I think I really over-dry my skin. Yet it still seems oily. I don't have sensitive skin at all either. I can't go on bc, so I was in search of new products that might help. I've heard both good and bad about Dermalogica, but nothing else has really come up. I know there are other high end brands out there, but honestly I know it's not realistic because of the price. I wish I could see a derm. but no can do. Accutane scares me so I won't be going that route. Maybe this is just how it has to be lol. I just look at those people with perfect poreless porcelian skin and feel so bad! For me it seems to boil down to darn genetics.

Is your skin doing better since you switched to a more basic sensitive routine? Before were you using harsher products?

Thanks again

My brother also suffers from ALOT of acne as well, he's been on accutane twice now and nothing has greatly improved his skin, so everyone reacts to things differently. Be patient and experiment with the different possibilities, hope one day we can both be acne free!

vivaXglamlove

Does anyone have any suggestion for clogged pores?
My skin is clearing up with the use of the Clarisonic (I've had bad skin since the day one of highschool).
I still have large pores on my cheeks, small bumps around my chin (if you squeeze them, a thin white long tube comes out TMI TMI) and black heads on my nose. What can I use to get rid of them?

Also can changing water effect your skin? My skin at school in my dorm compared to when I was it at home is insane. At school, my skin changes texture, is dry and breaks out more. But when I'm home, it clears up, softer and more balanced. I don't change my routine and still use my clarisonic.

Funtabulous

Quote: Originally Posted by vivaXglamlove
Also can changing water effect your skin? My skin at school in my dorm compared to when I was it at home is insane. At school, my skin changes texture, is dry and breaks out more. But when I'm home, it clears up, softer and more balanced. I don't change my routine and still use my clarisonic.

I think there might be something to this. I have noticed, repeatedly, that when I go outside of the city my skin clears up. It seems that it may be an issue of hard vs. soft water. I found this thread on another message board interesting:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Hard-water-acne-t192818.html

Anecdotal, sure, but I think this might very well be a factor in many people's acne.

Do you feel a difference in the water at home vs. at school? Soft water is said to make the skin feel more 'slippery' or even 'slimy', but this is supposed to be better for your skin.

You can read more information about hard and soft water in the thread I linked.

vivaXglamlove

Thank you so much! Moving into the dorms has changed my skin and the add of stress from school on top of it :(
I'll try slashing my face with water from the Brita after I wash my face!

I think there might be something to this. I have noticed, repeatedly, that when I go outside of the city my skin clears up. It seems that it may be an issue of hard vs. soft water. I found this thread on another message board interesting:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Hard-water-acne-t192818.html

Anecdotal, sure, but I think this might very well be a factor in many people's acne.

Do you feel a difference in the water at home vs. at school? Soft water is said to make the skin feel more 'slippery' or even 'slimy', but this is supposed to be better for your skin.

You can read more information about hard and soft water in the thread I linked.

Elle_P

I would recommend two products from Shea Terra Organics..either one works..

Baobab & Olive Tree Omega Rich Anti-Damage Face Wash (this cleared up blackheads around and on my nose..which I've been trying forever to get rid of..AND it's gentle enough for daily use)

OR

Lemongrass African Black Soap Elixir (Natural exfoliant without any abrasive beads or granules. Some people use this daily..I find it a little too harsh for daily use..I only use 3x's per week and it does aid in clearing up acne, for me anyway.)

Remember to moisturize even if you have acne. The best moisturizer I've used is Argan Oil and Ren's Synergy Rose Oil ($80!!!), which is very expensive but at the time I was desperate to fix my skin issues.

Topical creams and cleansers really just combat one part of the problem. Now, I'm sure its been written quite a few times in this thread but poor diet and lack of exercise are the main cause for most skin problems. If we have any food allergies or a Candida Albicans problem, it's a yeast in the gut that can spread and it can wreak havoc on our skin and internal organs. Please research Candida..there are tons of people who suffer from acne, eczema and emotional disorders (depression) because of it. Once the Candida is dealt with, many of our issues will diminish.

To help combat an overgrowth of Candidae you'll want to add Pro-biotics or active yogurt enzymes to your diet, like those found in organic Greek styled yogurt. Obviously there are other dietary changes you have to make but this is only a suggestion.

Hopefully this was useful to someone. :)

vivaXglamlove

Thank you! I'll look into these products! I'm huge into moisturizing, my skin will go crazy if I don't. I even stopped my roommate from putting cucumber melon body lotion on her face haha.
I'm really looking into organic skincare now.

I would recommend two products from Shea Terra Organics..either one works..

Baobab & Olive Tree Omega Rich Anti-Damage Face Wash (this cleared up blackheads around and on my nose..which I've been trying forever to get rid of..AND it's gentle enough for daily use)

OR

Lemongrass African Black Soap Elixir (Natural exfoliant without any abrasive beads or granules. Some people use this daily..I find it a little too harsh for daily use..I only use 3x's per week and it does aid in clearing up acne, for me anyway.)

Remember to moisturize even if you have acne. The best moisturizer I've used is Argan Oil and Ren's Synergy Rose Oil ($80!!!), which is very expensive but at the time I was desperate to fix my skin issues.

Topical creams and cleansers really just combat one part of the problem. Now, I'm sure its been written quite a few times in this thread but poor diet and lack of exercise are the main cause for most skin problems. If we have any food allergies or a Candida Albicans problem, it's a yeast in the gut that can spread and it can wreak havoc on our skin and internal organs. Please research Candida..there are tons of people who suffer from acne, eczema and emotional disorders (depression) because of it. Once the Candida is dealt with, many of our issues will diminish.

To help combat an overgrowth of Candidae you'll want to add Pro-biotics or active yogurt enzymes to your diet, like those found in organic Greek styled yogurt. Obviously there are other dietary changes you have to make but this is only a suggestion.

Hopefully this was useful to someone. :)

fieran

I still have Acne - it's something I inherited from my parents so I don't think I can be 100% cured of it. I had cystic acne for a few months until I realized it was my silicone laden primer that was causing it. But now that I've stopped using that primer - my skin is slightly clearer - but the pimples do come and go, just not as bad any more.

I wouldn't step out of the house without some makeup (other than the gym - that's the only place I am willing to go bare faced) - but I force myself to believe that there's more to me than just my skin. I have days when I feel really upset about my skin - but generally it's getting better.

Here's what I use: Clinique 3-step-skincare but I live in Scandinavia so I need a slightly richer moisturizer than DDMG (I can't use mineral oil on my face, DDML has that) so I use Clarins HydraQuench Cooling Creme-Gel. I alternate this moisturizer with Kiehl's Ultra Moisturizer which is very good as well.

I used to have very oily skin but I noticed that proper moisturizing can actually help control it. Nowadays I have combination skin - oily T-zone but slightly dry chin and cheeks. Doesn't really make any sense to me, but I have to deal with what I'm given I guess.

I use a Clarisonic once a day to make sure I remove my makeup properly - this also helps to reduce the size of my pimples. I've been using my Clarisonic for 4 months and it's making my skin a little bit more even toned. There are less flakies and small bumps.

One thing I noticed is that if I eat too much sugar - I can get more pimples. So I'm trying to be a bit more aware of my sugar intake. Another thing I do every few days is drink fresh juice - like apple+celery+cucumber or orange+grapefruit. It helps to heal my skin, to a certain extent.

Good luck.

Funtabulous

So, for those of you with hormonal acne, what is your experience with androgen lowering medications?

I'll give a quick rundown of mine:

Alesse: Awful, and I suspect that it may have even made the problem worse. High grease, high shine, back acne in summer. Possible moderate depression.

Diane 35: Great news for my skin. Oil was reduced, cystic acne cleared, pimples cleared, only one or two whiteheads on chin remained. Body was clear. No depression, no anxiety. Unfortunately, I became ravenous around food and gained 15 lbs. I'd rather be thin with acne than fat with clear skin. Besides, it is not approved for use for longer than 2 years.

Yasmin: Pill from hell. Depression, panic attacks, dizziness, low blood pressure, exhaustion, and extreme oil production (fully greased face in hour after washing). Bad acne, became cystic.

After Yasmin, I got an IUD for birth control and vowed to avoid birth control pills from now on. I have been off them for 11 months. At first my acne improved, but lately it's been the same as usual. :(

My endocrinologist is talking about putting me on Spironolactone, but it appears to be very similar to the progesterone in Yasmin and the side effects sound similar (like low blood pressure, dizziness, exhaustion). I don't know if I really want to go through all that again. I have a huge fear of fainting after all of that.

At this point, I think I might just learn to live with it. It sucks, but the alternatives are not very appealing. I tanned twice last week and my skin is looking better, even though I just had some huge painful underground zit pop up on my chin overnight from who knows where.

I'm also trying out a bit of the proactive line; I am really enjoying their new benzoyl peroxide lotion.

I'm also using Retin-A Micro in .04% strength (tired the .1% and it was too strong) and am liking it so far, except I am still breaking out. My skin is very soft and smooth though!

My clarisonic is also making my skin feel very nice and soft. I can't say it has reduced my breakouts though. To wash I use a benzoyl peroxide soap and it removes my makeup 100% when combined with my skin's oils. The clarasonic promised removal of more makeup but failed against my method. I still think it makes me feel very clean though.

yasmin1983

Here's what I use: Clinique 3-step-skincare but I live in Scandinavia so I need a slightly richer moisturizer than DDMG (I can't use mineral oil on my face, DDML has that) so I use Clarins HydraQuench Cooling Creme-Gel. I alternate this moisturizer with Kiehl's Ultra Moisturizer which is very good as well.
I used to have very oily skin but I noticed that proper moisturizing can actually help control it. Nowadays I have combination skin - oily T-zone but slightly dry chin and cheeks. Doesn't really make any sense to me, but I have to deal with what I'm given I guess.

I use a Clarisonic once a day to make sure I remove my makeup properly - this also helps to reduce the size of my pimples. I've been using my Clarisonic for 4 months and it's making my skin a little bit more even toned. There are less flakies and small bumps.

One thing I noticed is that if I eat too much sugar - I can get more pimples. So I'm trying to be a bit more aware of my sugar intake. Another thing I do every few days is drink fresh juice - like apple+celery+cucumber or orange+grapefruit. It helps to heal my skin, to a certain extent.

Good luck.

I cant use silicone based products either. They cause me to break out like no other, its horrible. Im looking into getting a Clariasonic thank you for your little review on it

fieran

You're welcome.

I wish you luck :) Hope your skin gets better. I'm in the process of seeing a doctor and hopefully a dermatologist - hoping my private insurance will cover both of them.

vivaXglamlove

I think I may of have found my perfect skincare routine, that has cleared up 95% of my acne. I know It's a lot, but my skin has never been this soft, clear, and has brought me so much confidence!
Morning:
alpha hydrox foaming face wash (with clarisonic, helps control oil really well)
Witch Hazel as toner
alpha-hydrox Oil Free Formula 10% Glycolic AHA
clinique dramatically different moisturizing gel

Night
Jan Marini Bioglycolic Facial Cleanser (with clarisonic)
Witch Hazel as toner
alpha-hydrox Oil Free Formula 10% Glycolic AHA
Paula's Choice Exfoliating 2% BHA Liquid
Cetaphil Moisturizing lotion

Makeup remover:
Cvs sensitive skin makeup remover wipes OR philosophy purity made simple

Masks/treatments: queen helene mint julep masque, homemade egg whites lemon and witch hazel peel, mark Shine Fighter Oil-Control Mask and homemade sugar and lemon scrub. I don't do all of these weekly, I alternate in whatever mood my skin is! :)

jennifa

Try moisturizing with Shea Butter. I've always had acne, but when I started using all natural stuff my skin just balanced itself. Also, it may seem counter intuitive, but try to only wash your face thoroughly once a day. I only splash with water/moisturize in the morning.

NikkiHorror

Shea butter is not a good product to put on your face but is a great body moisturizer. Natural products are great but not shea butter for someone with oily skin, that would clog pores on facial skin like nobody's business. People with or without acne must wash their faces twice a day to remove dirt, oil, grime and polution.

Just thought I'd throw this out here just in case it helps anybody:

Acne is mostly genetic. External things can cause a pore to become infected, but a lot of it comes from within your body. I have had acne since kindergarten and it only got progressively worse as I got older. My mom had me put on Accutane when I was 14 and it changed my life. Risky medicine, but it worked WONDERS. It wears off after 10 years, so I've been really having to keep my acne under control so I don't have a really terrible outbreak like I did in the past. It's really a struggle for me.

Besides genetics, here are some other reasons why you might be breaking out:

#1) Cyclic Acne: The #1 cause of breakouts is cyclic acne...acne that erupts before, during, or after your period. Usually when you come off your b/c pill your skin goes haywire until you get back on it. This kind is vicious and there's not much you can do to control it because it's coming from within your skin. Are you near your period right now?

#2) Stress and loss of sleep: Stress is a huge problem for your overall well being and overall health and definitely causes acne. Are you going through anything majorly stressful in your life? Not getting enough sleep can wreak havoc on your skin.

#3) Improper or new cleansing routine: Did you wash your face and neck thoroughly, use toner and moisturizer? Did you happen to use 1 or more new products? Your skin's balance and acidity level can easily be thrown off just by introducing one new product into your routine and this can cause acne.

#4) Not getting enough H20: Water helps flush out and reduce the amount of bacteria in your body and helps your body push sweat through it's cycle when you work out. It's really important that you drink a lot of water.

#5) Not moisturizing: If you are not moisturizing because your face is "oily", shame on you! Your skin is trying to make up for the loss of moisture...your skin is probably actually dehydrated.

Tried and true products that work very well for yours truly:

Best Face Washes for Oily Skin: LUSH Coalface, LUSH Herbalism, Estee Lauder Sparkling Clean Purifying Mud Foam Cleanser, Murad Clarifying Cleanser, Peter Thomas Roth Beta Hydroxy Acid 2% Wash.

Best Exfoliators for Oily Skin: LUSH Dark Angels, LUSH Ocean Salt

Best Serum for Oily Skin: Estee Lauder Idealist Pore Minimizing Skin Refinisher, Dr. Perricone High Potency Evening Repair

Best Anti-Acne Treatment for Oily Skin: LUSH Grease Lighting (Gel), Murad Exfoliating Acne Treatment Gel, Peter Thomas Roth AHA/BHA Acne Clearing Gel

Best Moisturizer for Oily Skin: LUSH Vanishing Cream, Neaclear Liquid Oxygen Anti-Acne Facial Moisturizer

Best Face Mask for Oily Skin: LUSH Mask of Magnaminty

Best Makeup Primer for Oily Skin: Smashbox Photofinish

Best Foundation for Oily Skin: Estee Lauder Double Wear

Best Powder for Oily Skin: MAC Studio Fix Powder, Smashbox Photo Set Finishing Powder

AmandDUR

Shea butter can be very good for acne. It's very healing for breakouts among other things. It doesn't clog pores. Now of course it's not going to work wonders for everyone - everyone's skin is different!

Kathniss08

Hi! I can relate to you! I have mild acne before but thank goodness I have a clear skin now. I use mild soap and put medicated ointment for pimples. I also use sunblock. I also love to try DIY face masks like papaya, aloe vera and the like. I also put aspirin in my pimples and the pimple will be dry quickly and you will notice that the zits will be smaller. I used powdered aspirin and mix it with water then put it in my pimples and let it dry. Then I will rinse my face with warm water. Your skin will feel so clean and soft. Your battle with acne will soon be over just be patient and don't worry about it too much!

Esthylove

I don't know if this has been said yet or not but I figured I would try to help. Even though you're breaking out you might want to try all these products to fix it. But try one thing and give your skin some time to adjust to the product you chose to use. Sometimes you will start breaking out at first but that's your skin getting used to it. Sometimes people that have acne or oily skin don't want to put a moisturizer on because they think it's gonna make them break out more, but if you over dry your skin then your skin is going to produce more oil to make up for the loss. Try to not touch your face- i know it's hard, sometimes we forget or we don't even notice but your hands have bacteria on them which is then going on your face. One BIG thing I always recommend is changing your pillow case every 2-3 days, between the oil and dirt from your hair and your face touching it all night it can cause you to break out. I hope you get the help you were looking for!

I went to school for skin care so I always like to help when I can. :)

GabrielleB

Hi!
im a licensed esthetician an would like to offer maybe a few suggestions.
I would try anything tea tree
a tea tree cleanser and use the tea tree oil itself on your acne.
tea tree is a very strong natual antiseptic and it helps to reduce acne and inflammation.
if i ever have break out, i usually will apply the tea tree oil to my face about 3-4 times that day and by the next day its either gone or significantly reduced!

also certain areas that are breaking out tend to mean certain things that are going on inside your body
for instance: if you are having more outbreaks on your chin then that tends to link to your hormones
if you are having more breakouts in the cheek area that is related to diet, so attempt to drink more water, reduce sugar etc
if you have outbreaks on the forehead that is related to stress.

in addition for discoloration:
you could try murads vitamin c kit
it runs about $15 at ulta
it comes with a vitamin c cleanser
a serum that helps to fade the discoloration
and a lotion with spf to help to prevent further discoloration

if that fails, before accutane i would consider getting a monthly peel.
i had severe acne before and my derm wanted to put me on accutane but after disccusing it with my doctor and the possible risk
i decided on another route.
i started getting what is called a Vi-Peel every 3-4 weeks
it helped to fade my discoloration for post acne and cleared my skin completely.
i rarely ever get a breakout now!

hope ive helped in some way!
best of luck.