Am I the only one who sees this??? re: Brit and Anna Nicole

claresauntie

Why don't I hear anyone talking about post-partum depression with either of these poor women? Am I the only one who has thought about this???

hmm.gif

I really think Brit is terribly depressed, from everything I've been reading, and god knows Anna Nicole had a double-whammy with delivering a baby and losing her son in a matter of days.

I feel so, so sad for these poor women...

PS: Mods, I think this is more Deep Thought-y than Entertainment-y, but if, after reading it, you disagree, I apologize for you having to move it.
lol.gif

*Stargazer*

It was my absolute first thought with both of them.

Like Britney, I have back to back babies. Mine are a few months further apart than hers, but back to back pregnancies take a toll that you cannot possibly imagine unless you've done it. I was fine after my first daughter was born, but I had the worst case of PPD after my second daughter was born. I was fortunate that it was never, ever directed at my children but there were days that I wanted to hurt myself badly.

Everything I see Britney Spears doing reeks of PPD, to me but then I'm no expert, just a sufferer.

I can't even imagine the horror of having to give birth and deal with all the wacked out hormones from that and then having a child die three days later, either. I'd lose my mind if that happened to me.

I think both women have other issues that have been problematic and probably compounded by PPD.

aeni

I thought about and talking about it too, but no one gave it a 2nd thought whenever I mentioned it with friends. So I chalk it up to Tom Cruise and his "happy vitamins".

claresauntie

Ruth, sorry to hear about your bout with PPD. Just bouncing back fron it myself, though I never wanted to hurt anyone or myself... I just didn't give a whit about anything except the baby. I'm finally finding interest in the world beyond the couch, and realize that PPD is no joke!

*Stargazer*

It really is no joke. I'm sorry you had to deal with it as well.

I think it can be even more problematic than other types of depression in some cases because its easy just to blame everything on the hormonal shifts (which a lot of outsiders seem to do) or to not even really realize that something is wrong. My daughter was about 6 months old before I realized that I was seriously depressed and had been since her birth.

Hawkeye

Quote:
having a child die three days later. I'd lose my mind if that happened to me.

What was this? I didn't hear about this!

I actually thought it was PPD as well. But I'm very curious as to why our society isn't looking at these two young women. We really need to force ourselves to *LOOK* at them. The reason? I think this is what our society is driving everyone too.

We are also being confronted with many issues that our society loves to push under the rug:

PPD
Lack of Parents (IE: Look at what is happening to Britney)
What happens with excessive partying
Impulse decisions
Drug Use
What happens when people are rude to each other (look at Brit again- no friends)

And we're watching all these issues that nobody in America wants to face. *shrugs*

Just my thoughts IMHO

*Stargazer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye
What was this? I didn't hear about this!

If I had broken my thought into two separate lines, it would make more sense. I actually was talking about ANS there, not BS. I've gone back to edit and it makes more sense now LOL

Beauty Mark

It may have been partially PPD, but both women were pretty messed up IMO. Britney Spears, for the last who knows how many years (sometime after the release of the Toxic album and now), has been spiraling out of control. With or without having a child, she was bound to go down a path like this IMO. Just a few years ago, the gossip blotters had photos of Britney wearing a creepy mask and tossing milkshakes at the press. She was walking around barefoot all the time, even in gas station bathrooms. Shaving her head is surprising, but if you look at it in the context of her recent behaviors, it fits in.

Anna Nicole Smith, again, is another one I think was going down a dangerous path. However, I thought she'd somehow beat the odds and out live us all, like those people who smoke a pack a day and see their 90s without major health problems. However, she had major issues with or without having another child. In some ways, it was to be expected.

So, in short, PPD may have had a role, but I think it's more that they had other things going down.

amoona

I agree with Britney having it but Anna Nicole has always been a drug addict. Before she lost her son and before she had her baby.

Britney however really needs help. I feel so bad for her because she's so young and she has to deal with all this personal stuff in the public eye. I hope in the end everything works out for her and especially those two babies she has at home.

lemurian

It's perfectly reasonable to think that these women have PPD, but PPD doesn't excuse bad behavior, and that's probably why it's not being brought up. Bad mothers are bad mothers, and if you're sick you get help, like Brooke. Whether it's vitamins or pharmeceuticals doesn't matter, there is NO EXCUSE for neglecting your babies AND neglecting to get help. I have no sympathy for either of these women, only their children.

pumpkincat210

i had postpartum depression once and it is horrible. You don't want your baby or yourself for that matter, in a sense you lose it. thankfully i had a good support system and a great doctor it has gone away. When you throw drugs in the mix to self medicate, it only ends up making things worse. I don't think Britney is "bad" parent (besides the car seat incident) she is just sick and needs help . The same with Anna Nicole, her addiction took over and noone was helped her get clean. Britney's family seems to care enough hopefully she'll make it out okay.

Beauty Mark

Quote:
Bad mothers are bad mothers, and if you're sick you get help, like Brooke. Whether it's vitamins or pharmeceuticals doesn't matter, there is NO EXCUSE for neglecting your babies AND neglecting to get help.

The difference, to me, is that Brooke Shields seems to have a good support system. Britney seems to have no one she can trust in her life and is probably surrounded by yes-men. It doesn't mean what she's doing is right, but I think, for the time being, it's a bit understandable.

ilovexnerdsx

question: if a woman struggles with regular depression her whole life, is she more likely to get PPD?
ssad.gif
what would happen if they both happened?

claresauntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovexnerdsx
question: if a woman struggles with regular depression her whole life, is she more likely to get PPD?
ssad.gif
what would happen if they both happened?

I've fought depression off and on and have been pregnant twice. Both times I had PPD. This time, I was also depressed during the pregnancy (and I was taking antidepressants!).

That said, that's my story and not everyone else's, and it can be used to say what will happen to others. I do believe, though, that "they" say that if you have had problems with depression in the past, it's important to be extra vigilent about PPD.

Also keep in mind that PPD is a depression, and Post Partum Psychosis is totally different from that- the women who drown their poor babies or otherwise harm them are often actually suffering from Post Partum Psychosis, not "regular PPD" (which is also pretty miserable).

karen diggins

I had really bad ppd after I had my son. meds are the best thing. Both of these women needed help. To late for anna nichole=(...But hopefully britney will get help before she ends up like nichole.

jenii

Oh, absolutely. But, you know... I imagine it's more profitable for the people around them to keep them trainwrecks.