ancient shark!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW!

Bernadette

That thing is crazy. There are so many wild specis in the deepst parts of the ocean.
After the Tsunami in Indonesia I got an e-mail with pictures of a lot of the streange sea creatures that washe dup with it. So fascinating.

MAC_Whore

That shark is fascinating and also eerie as hell! I gotta tell ya, I don't care how sick the shark was, I wouldn't be in there with it. That is one brave person.

..kels*

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarius11
Geez. That really gets you thinking what else lurks deep in the ocean.

werd.gif

Sonya Adams

WHOA! You have to remember though, it wouldn't have been in the shallows for the fisherman to find it unless it was sick and already dying. It gives historians and marine physiologists new information on species that they though had been long extinct.

Maybe we'll find out more information about the shark and who knows - like Bernadette said, all sorts of strange things have been washing up around the world after the tsunami.

queenofdisaster

i find it fascinating too... like how they finally got pics of the giant monster squid... funny that a lot of these things are found in asia, particularly japan...

Eoraptor

That was indeed a very cool video. Never seen a frilled shark filmed before. You should all know that the species was first described in 1884, so it isn't new. Also worth pointing out is the frilled shark genus* (Chlamydoselachus) is only about 80 million years old, which sounds impressive until you realize the pine tree genus (Pinus) is 130 million years old! And we don't think of pine trees as prehistoric or living fossils!
winks.gif
Also the 80 million year old frill sharks are not the same species as the one that lives today, though I'm not sure how old the living species, Chlamydoselechus anguinus, is.

* For those less familiar with biology, remember a genus is a group of closely related species. It's really arbitary just HOW closely related different species of the same genus are. For instance, foxes and coyotes are in different genera (plural of genus), yet potatos, tomatos and eggplants are in the same genus.

Quote:
After the Tsunami in Indonesia I got an e-mail with pictures of a lot of the streange sea creatures that washe dup with it. So fascinating.

Not that it lessens the coolness of deep sea creatures, but that e-mail was a hoax.
As described on that website-

Quote:
Following the disastrous tsunami of 26 December 2004, thousands of people received emails that contained images of amazing deepsea creatures supposedly washed up on Thailand's Phuket beach. This email is a hoax.

The animals shown in the images were collected during the joint New Zealand and Australia Norfolk Ridge - Lord Howe Rise Biodiversity Voyage (NORFANZ) in May - June 2003. The images were used by the unknown hoaxers without permission of the copyright owners.

queenofdisaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoraptor
That was indeed a very cool video. Never seen a frilled shark filmed before. You should all know that the species was first described in 1884, so it isn't new. Also worth pointing out is the frilled shark genus* (Chlamydoselachus) is only about 80 million years old, which sounds impressive until you realize the pine tree genus (Pinus) is 130 million years old! And we don't think of pine trees as prehistoric or living fossils!
winks.gif
Also the 80 million year old frill sharks are not the same species as the one that lives today, though I'm not sure how old the living species, Chlamydoselechus anguinus, is.

* For those less familiar with biology, remember a genus is a group of closely related species. It's really arbitary just HOW closely related different species of the same genus are. For instance, foxes and coyotes are in different genera (plural of genus), yet potatos, tomatos and eggplants are in the same genus.

Not that it lessens the coolness of deep sea creatures, but that e-mail was a hoax.
As described on that website-

thanks mickey! i guess everyones so fascinated because it's never been filmed before, lol!!! that's helpful information
smiles.gif