Any headache sufferers?

kittykit

I'm suffering from migraine since I was a kid and I hate it. Sometimes I see aura for about 10mins before the pain hits me. The first time I experienced aura, I thought I was going blind! Both my parents are migraine sufferers. My migraine's triggered by smell, food allergies, weather conditions and PMS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxManBeaterxx
I dont have headaches often, but when i do get them they turn into migraines that lasts for a few days. It all starts off with neck pain
ssad.gif

I have the same problem with the neck pain. I visited my physiotherapist for a few times and we did some neck exercises for that and they really help a lot.

trip75

I find excedrin migraine usually makes me feel worse. I think it's the caffeine they put in it.
The only think that really helps is fioricet (spelling). My Dr. prescribed it and it helps with the nausea. The only thing is I have to take it before the actual headache starts. Which for me is fine because I can tell one is coming, I get the aura and weird swimmy feeling in my head.
My triggers are mostly lack of good sleep and stress. Also my period which I think has to do with hormones.

trip75

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocaltest
Ughh cluster migraines, I had them when I was younger!! I feel for you with that.

You don't get them anymore? Is there hope for me????

Dahlia_Rayn

I also get migraines, God, they are so horrible. Because of the severity of mine, and my access to all the really good medical journals, I have done tons of research. Migraine is the ONLY type of genetic headache condition and the genetic locus for migraine is very close to the locus for epilepsy. 25% of women suffer from migraine, ranging from mild to severe. Usually migraines are characterized by unilateral pain (pain on one side of the head) and swelling of facial features, usually the eyes. Sufferers of juvenile migraine usually see symptoms lessen by the time they hit their late teens or early twenties, but most migraine sufferers see onset around 18 or 19 and, for women, this tends to continue until onset of menopause when migraine symptoms may lessen or completely disappear.

I get what is called complex migraine, there are times when my migraine is standard (nausea, vomiting, aura, dizziness) and others when I suffer from stroke-like symptoms (loss of function on one side of my body, including slurred speech and loss of muscle control in limbs) and seizures. Because of the severity and frequency of my migraines my neurologist elected to put me on Beta-blocker therapy (typically used for high blood pressure) for a few months and also forbade my use of hormonal birth control (which was a huge trigger for me). Since then I have experienced lower frequency of headaches, and when I get headaches, they don't last nearly as long. Also, if I even suspect I might be getting a migraine, I immediately take Excedrin Migraine or Aleve (depending on if my migraine was caffeine induced or not). I also have a standing prescription for Imitrex Nasal Spray, as it's the only prescription drug that actually has helped me once I'm in full blown migraine.

I really hate taking drugs, A LOT, but migraine is not something to mess with. More people die from migraine related stroke then gun shot wounds in the US each year! I also really work on avoiding my known triggers, or take them on one at a time, because it usually requires several triggers to cause migraine. Some of mine are wine, yogurt (weird huh?), chocolate (damn), lack of sleep, low blood sugar, not enough water and caffeine.

ratmist

Right now with the sleep deprivation I've got a low-level headache constantly. If I manage to grab some sleep, it usually localises over one of my eyes.

Prior to getting pregnant and having my son, I often got stress headaches that localised around my temples or across my forehead. This was usually the result of staring at a computer all day.

When I have a migraine though, nothing really stops them. I can get some relief using a vibrator/massager over the area that hurts, and sometimes gel-cooled-strips help, but apart from that, nothing really provides much relief. Ibuprofen and acetomeniphen/paracetemol really doesn't help me with my migraines.

Blushbaby

I get headaches frequently, sometimes up to 3-4 times a week in a bad week

I know they're down to my crap diet and always being in front of a computer screen. I need to get an eye task and wear glasses!

NutMeg

My boyfriend told me last night that he thinks I'm being wimpy and that he just pushes through migraines. I flat out told him he doesn't get migraines and he got all pissy. I would have hit him if we hadn't been on the phone.