Any Mothers with Acrylics Here?

Princess_Lily

I'm a 4 month pregnant woman. I have been contemplating getting acrylic nails or gels since my 1st Trimester, because I used to be able to do my own manicure every single week at home, however regardless of how much time and energy (and protein) I put into my own nails, they never grew passed my finger tip without splitting or breaking - even with the prenatals and protein.

I spoke to my doctor, and they said that I could go get my nails done, as long as its in a well ventalated salon, and I don't need to wear a mask.
yahoo.gif
Now the reason I am choosing Acrylics over Gels, is because I live in a town where gels range $75+ ($50.00 for Fills) and Acrylics are only $22.00 for a full set. We don't have the money for the upkeep of gels its just too expensive, but we can reason every two weeks $17.00 fills!
yahoo.gif

I understand it might be harder when we have a newborn to get fills, but I think it gives me a little pampering that I don't do for myself as often as I should. My husband is always telling me to enjoy a beauty day every now and again, but I'm the type of person who would rather spend money on others than myself. However, since I got pregnant, I don't feel myself and what better way to add my pregnancy glow while carrying a beach ball is to show off the bling of my wedding ring set and my french manicure - right?

Anyway, my question is, are their any mothers on this forum that have experience with having acrylics when they are pregnant and/or have a baby?

jdechant

Well I have had Acrylics (once in my life) this past summer and am a mother to a two year old...It was very weird to get used to...I think the hardest part was getting used to taking my contacts out without poking my eyeball..lol..but I don't see the problem..its personal preference. I was still able to do everything I was able to do before (just had to adjust the way I did it a little) lol..I would say get them..enjoy your pregnancy and get used to wearing the nails, then when baby comes if it gets too difficult, then just take them off. Just make sure you tell them not to make them too long... Good luck!!

KatRosier

I had Acrylics throughout my pregnancy and I still have them now ( my baby is 6 months old) .I don't feel like they get in the way *much*.

I basically figured I'm pretty sure Adam would like a mommy that feels good about herself but that takes a bit longer to do things for him, than a mommy who feels bad because she doesn't have nice nails but can do everything really fast.

The scratching was never an issue as Acrylics have smooth edges so its pretty darn impossible to scratch baby. The only thing that is kinda problematic is keeping under nails cleaner than you normally would. I use antibacterial gel before and after each feeding and change. It's not necessary but it makes me feel better.
HTH!

Hikaru-chan

I say go for it but keep them reasonably short.

Also make sure that the place that is gonna be doing them doesn't use drills at any point during the service as this will only cause severe damage to your nautural nail. Look for a place that does them by hand.
Watch out for places that use MMA monomer (Methyl MethAcrylate) as it's highly toxic, ask them to show you what products they are using (Creative and EZ Flow are both great).

tarnii

I had had acrylics for ages and I was determined to keep them once my baby was born. However once that little one was in my arms I was too freaked out that I was going to hurt her by accident that I took the whole lot off myself about 3 days after getting home from hospital.

I am sure it wasn't necessary and it could have been the lack of sleep but it seemed like a rational idea at the time.

BEA2LS

i do not have any children but my best friend has a two year old and had acrylics the whole time.. but she had them awhile before and they are second nature to her, though i noticed she does wear them shorter now. she said she likes it because it actually saves time and your nails are always presentable even when she doesnt have time for make-up, etc.

I wore a pink and white set throughout my entire pregnancy and up until a few months ago. My daughter is 21 months now. I didn't have any problems except the fact that I HATE going to the salon because I just don't have the patience!

nichollecaren

Here, pregnant women should not have nails at all! The nurses frown at long nails, especially acrylics, and advise very short nails, I suppose they are worried abt the baby's safety? I dont really know, its just the culture I guess.

I distinctly remember a cousin of mine being made to cut off her nails when she was being admitted for delivery of her first child.