Avoiding the Ahsy Look

Leven

Hey everyone,

i just had a quick question for you all.

What is the best way to avoid that ashy/grey look on darker skintones. I have read that using foundations that have golden undertones can prevent this.

Do you guys have any other tips?

Thanx
yes.gif

Twinkle_Twinkle

Having your foundation actually match is the best way to avoid ashiness. Also, if the undertone is too golden/yellow, it can make you look ashy.

Leven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe
Are you talking about ashy in person, or in photographs?

Photos

aziajs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle_Twinkle
Having your foundation actually match is the best way to avoid ashiness. Also, if the undertone is too golden/yellow, it can make you look ashy.

I was just going to say this! Honestly, there is no magic solution, in my opinion, for avoiding ashiness. You really do have to match the foundation to your skintone. It is usually a time consuming process full of trial and error but it's the best way to make sure that your skin looks good in person and in photos. If you use a foundation that it too yellow or golden and your skin has more pink or red tones, you will look off. The reverse is true. If you get a foundation that is too light or too dark, depending on the formula, you will see the same thing.

Prototype83

I think that not only do you have to find the perfect match to your skin tone, but also to avoid looking ashy especially in flash photography...you may have to find a foundation without SPF in it. SPF has ingredients in it that shows up white in pictures. I've switched to using Revlon Colorstay for that reason alone, the darker colors don't contain SPF.

Nepenthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leven
Photos

Ok, so provided that the foundation is a match.. watch the ingredients. Titanium (dioxide) is notorious for many ashy photographs because it reflects the light from the flash.

SPF in makeup isn't enough to last all day anyway, so if you can find a foundation without it, you'll probably have better luck. I put on my sunscreen/moisturizer first.. let it soak in, and then apply foundation.

macgirl3121

I agreed. Titanum Dioxide is evil for WOC. This happened to me recently. I picked up MUFE UV Prime SPF 50/PA +++ and forgot to look to see of it had TD. It's got like 10% TD in it. Needless to say, any pics I took look a hot azz mess. This is so going back to Sephora this weekend. WOC do not get this product.

I normally wear Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection Lotion SPF 55 PA+++ (TD is at the very bottom of the ingredeint list so it has very little) with primer. I was trying to eliminate a step while on vacation. Never again. I am sticking with Shiseido.

snkatha

For photos to avoid looking ashy avoid using translucent powder. I've noticed every time i use it i look ashy as hell! Use instead a powder in your skintone.

SeaHen

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgirl3121
I agreed. Titanum Dioxide is evil for WOC. This happened to me recently. I picked up MUFE UV Prime SPF 50/PA +++ and forgot to look to see of it had TD. It's got like 10% TD in it. Needless to say, any pics I took look a hot azz mess. This is so going back to Sephora this weekend. WOC do not get this product.

I normally wear Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection Lotion SPF 55 PA+++ (TD is at the very bottom of the ingredeint list so it has very little) with primer. I was trying to eliminate a step while on vacation. Never again. I am sticking with Shiseido.

So thats why i look like a ghost when i pick the wrong sunscreen!