Back to MAC (B2M) HAUL PART II (The Search For DCd Dupes): 30 September 2011

TSIZ

There have been several MAC launches; however, this post documents my mad search for dupes of my first MAC lipsticks (*awww...*). The newer generation(s) of MAC-addicts may not find this post interesting; however, I believe first-generation MAC-fans will appreciate the information/suggestions I received from the friendly online MAC Customer Service Representatives/Make-Up Artists, especially those who loved the long-discontinued "TONE"-finish lipsticks.

Over the past couple days, in preparation for my 2nd B2M haul of the month, I've been conversing (NOT "conversating") w/several MAC Reps/MUAs who have been employed w/MAC since the mid-'90s:

ME:
WARNING: need CS Rep familiar with MAC lipsticks/finishes that existed in 1997 and were discontinued by 2000(?)

My two (2) favorite lipsticks in the red-family are (of course) MAC lipsticks that have been LONG discontinued. I have spent far too much $$$ trying to find dupes - maybe if I had the names/finishes, it would help(?)

1) The first lipstick was a deep burgundy-red, not too vampy - but just vampy-enough (if that makes any sense) w/a super-duper-MATTE-Finish (a la MAC, back-in-the-day). I know, this is very vague, but there MUST be a list of lipsticks that were available in 1997/DC'ed by 2000?

2) The second lipstick was a "traditional"(?) red (like-a blue-red?). Since that's also a very vague description, hopefully this fact will help: not only was the shade discontinued, but the FINISH was discontinued, as well. I *think* the "Glaze"-Finish "replaced" it (for lack of a better term). The Finish was not too sheer/not too opaque - it was not frosty or glossy or matte...I *think* it was called a "Hue"-Finish, and not the lipstick shade "Hue", the Finish "HUE".

...HELP!

MAC Cosmetics Online:
Thank you for taking the time to email us at MAC Cosmetics Online. I am happy to help!

I have been employed by MAC since 1997, and therefore am in a good position to provide you with what I think are the lipsticks you are speaking of. The first I believe is our DIVA Matte Lipstick, which used to be extremely matte with a dry finish, but has since been reformulated with our newer matte formula, which is more conditioning. The colour has shifted slightly, but it still a deep, dark burgundy red. A list of discontinued products by date is not available, I apologize.

The second lipstick you are looking for is I believe REDWOOD Tone Lipstick, which was a sheer blue/neutral red. This was also a favorite of mine! Regrettably MAC does not offer an exact duplicate, however you may enjoy LADYBUG Lustre Lipstick blended with HALF RED Lip Pencil.

ME:
"DIVA" sounds familiar - too familiar, especially since several other brands have a "Diva" lipstick, which is why (I think) I ruled it out as an option. However, I believe you are correct. I know of the "retro-matte" v the new "matte" finish and maybe this is why I cannot duplicate the color. Well, "DIVA" goes on my Back2MAC list (I'm going to a store Thursday for a launch!)

As for the second lipstick, YES - the finish is "TONE" (a-ha! a light-bulb-moment). Well, "HUE" could be considered a very good guess...or a terrible guess...depending on whether or not one is true artist. Since you are a mua, I'll not waste your time by explaining what I mean - also, it's too early in the morning for me to try. Out of curiosity, because I love the TONE finish, could you provide a list of colors (w/descriptions if possible) that had this finish? I will scour the make-up boards in-search-of any vintage MAC-lipsticks w/the TONE FINISH!

Back to the second lipstick color "REDWOOD"...I think that is it(!) though, it doesn't sound too familiar (then again, this was more than a decade ago). Just in case that's not it, were there other classic red-reds w/a TONE finish? If you're able to provide me a list of colors w/the TONE finish, as requested above, I think I can figure it out on my own!

MAC Cosmetics Online:
Thank you for getting back to us! My name is Mary-Ann (Lisa is offline at the moment) and I have been employed by MAC since 1996. Regrettably, we do not have a list of discontinued Lipsticks by texture or formula, I am very sorry. From memory, I believe there was also a Tone Lipstick simply named RED, which was a sheer, pinkish blue based red shade. Russian Red Lipglass will be the most similar to Red Tone Lipstick.

ME:
RE: the forgettable name of the red lipstick with the tone finish:
"RED"...Yes, I am a moron.
HOWEVER, the name is not familiar. So it's if it's neither Redwood nor Red...could it be "Fatale"? Was "Fatale" even in the red-family? And did it have a "tone" finish? Do you remember the color/description; if so, suggestions/dupes?

...(passed some time reading old Specktra posts of mine while awaiting a reply)...

A-ha! I've been reviewing old Specktra .net posts - the tone-finish lipsticks I am desperately seeking are "Fatale" AND "Red". I compared "Fatale" to Clinique's Black Honey (both in color and finish). I could be totally off, but if I'm even remotely close, I'm going back out to buy a Black Honey! I miss my TONES! Any further suggestions? Please? :(

MAC Cosmetics Online:
FATALE was a sheer pinkish purple, with hints of red. It was indeed a Tone lipstick. For a similar look, tap MEDIA on the lips for a stain, then sheer out with LIP CONDITIONER. Other Tone lipsticks that come to mind were PECAN which was a neutral peach red (I suggest RETRO blended with Lip Conditioner for a similar look) and LOVE, which was a coral reddish pink (HOT TAHITI would be our closest shade).
I'm happy to hear you found them! I will be sure to pass your feedback regarding your preference for Tone textures onto our executives.

You may be interested in our Sheen Supreme Lipsticks, which are sheer lipsticks with similar coverage to our discontinued Tone texture. I suggest taking a look at NEW TEMPTATION, CAN'T RESIST and GOOD TO BE BAD shades.

Well, that's that! The "dupes" I have desperately been seeking:
DIVA Matte Finish
(was right there all along as a reformulated matte, accounting for slight change in color)
RED Tone Finish
("dupe" = LADY BUG + HALF-RED REDD lip liner)
and
FATALE
("dupe" = RETRO + lip conditioner)
I didn't get the last message regarding "how-to" dupe FATALE before I hauled (bummer)...but I know what I'm placing on my Wishlist after I post this! Next haul, folks!

So, here is my "boring" haul of basic Permanent-line lip-stuff: DIVA, LADY BUG + REDD liner (Half-Red didn't look right) and a couple pinky-nude staples, CREME D'NUDE and PATISSERIE...PLUS a couple NEW and/or LE items: MatchMaster Foundation in 3.0 (I'm NC35-40) and re-release of MSF in Lightscapade.

ASIDE: MAC Sales Reps/MUAs at both MAC and at the MAC counter at Nordstrom called it "LIGHTSCAPE" (WTF?) Not nearly as annoying as "CONVERSATE", but they are MAC employees - they ought to know how to pronounce it!

MAC-haul_30-09-2011007.jpg
MAC-haul_30-09-2011001.jpg
MAC-haul_30-09-2011002.jpg

MAC-haul_30-09-2011004.jpg

...terrible pics, I apologize...