Be My {Retro} Valentine

Amaranth

Hi everyone!!

Okay...so last night me and my boyfriend went out for dinner, and I figured I'd get fancy. I didn't mean to get THIS fancy...but oh well. It was fun.

I did the traditional retro look, and I know it's a common look and seems unoriginal, but I have NEVER tried it on myself. Which I knew would be risky...it was either going to look hot or stupid, and I wouldn't have had time to fix it. I'm so used to wearing extremely bold eye make-up and nude (or NO) lipstick so I was afraid the look would be out of my comfort zone and I'd just look weird to everyone used to seeing me with lots of dark eye make-up. I don't even own red lipstick, I had to borrow some because I'd rather invest my money into something I'd actually wear. But I'm such a huge fan of the look (on others, haha) I thought I would give it a try.

But I was soooo happy with the way it came out!

Also, I had no idea how to do my hair. I don't own a curling iron and I suck at styling my hair, so I tried doing the spiral curl with a flat iron thing. I did one and was like...hmm, not the best, but it might look good if I do my whole head. I was also then afraid my hair was too short and I'd have this stupid like, mini afro thing going on. I did my whole head, and I LOVED the way it came out. It only took 20 minutes too, and consider that includes the time it took to figure out how to do it, AND I suck and am slow at doing hair anyway, that's pretty damn good.

Also, I think this is the LEAST MAC cosmetics I've worn in like 5 years. I feel like such a traitor, haha.

So here are the pictures:

Awww...blurry...but you get the idea, it's not that blurry...

Least eye make-up I've ever worn!! So hard for me!

I felt like Christina Aguilera right here...except not nearly as hot (or skanky, hopefully) hahaha:

What I Used

Face
MAC StudioFix Powder in C3
MAC Cream Colour Base in Hush
CoverGirl Bronzer

Eyes
MAC Paint in Bare Canvas
NYX Eyeshadow Trio in Casablanca (all colours)
MAC Eyeshadow in Crystal Avalanche
MAC LiquidLast in Point Black
Almay Mascara in Black
MAC Lashes...31's possibly? I don't have the case anymore...
MAC Eyeshadow in Rummy (brows)

Lips
L'Oreal Colour Riche Lipstick in Penelope's Red (Penelope Cruz's colour, I love it!)
NYX Lipliner in Red Hot

CC's DEFINITELY welcome...it's a huge change for me (I usually try to look all creepy haha) so I'd love to hear what the Pro's think
winks.gif

user79

I love the hair! And I love the makeup. However, I would have chosen a different lipstick colour, somehow I think it clashes a bit with your plummy hair shade. Something red but more berry toned that has some blue tones to it.

MACATTAK

You look like a million bucks! I like your bright looks, but the toned down eyes really bring out your eye color & looks fantastic on you! Love the hair too...great job all around
thmbup.gif

BonnieBabe<3

I LOVE THE HAIR! Your like a brunette Marilyn/Christina Aguilera!! So cute!

**EDIT**
i just read what you put about feeling like Christina Aguilera haha..

aconundrum

you look gorgeous. in the last one you remind me of debra messing. i love your plum hair! did you do it yourself? if so, may i ask what you used?

VioletB

HOLY CRAP you look so beautiful!!

I hope you got some last night like ten times over again!!

..That is if you're into that stuff.
th_devil.gif

Amaranth

Yaaaaaaay! Thanks x 100000000000 everyone!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmrsvindieselx
you are gorgeous. the first picture totally reminds me of carmen electra! so hot!

Woo, thanks! Definitely taken as a compliment, hehe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChievous
I love the hair! And I love the makeup. However, I would have chosen a different lipstick colour, somehow I think it clashes a bit with your plummy hair shade. Something red but more berry toned that has some blue tones to it.

Thanks. And I was afraid of that. I actually don't OWN any red lipstick, I borrowed that stuff from my cousin who wears it all the time, since I never wear it and I'm too cheap to invest in something I don't wear anyway. But maybe now that I know I don't look like a complete fool I'll invest in one. Thanks for the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieBabe<3
I LOVE THE HAIR! Your like a brunette Marilyn/Christina Aguilera!! So cute!

**EDIT**
i just read what you put about feeling like Christina Aguilera haha..

Quote:
Originally Posted by aconundrum
you look gorgeous. in the last one you remind me of debra messing. i love your plum hair! did you do it yourself? if so, may i ask what you used?

Hahahahahaa! Thanks a lot! I get the Debra Messing thing ALL the time, I don't see it, but apparently it's there if so many other people see it. And I do my own hair, I'm actually in the process of dying it right now
smiles.gif
. I use Special Effects dye (they have a website you can check out, but the swatches aren't too accurate). It's a vegetable dye, so you can mix 'em to make your own hair colours and leave them on for as long as you want without having to worry about damage. I mix Devilish (just a TINY bit, it can really take over) and Wild Flower to get this colour. I also have my hair chemically dyed every six months, or else the dye doesn't stick. I don't bleach it though...been there, got the hair damage. I just get it dyed one shade above my natural colour so that it lifts the colour a bit. You should try it, it's great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VioletB
HOLY CRAP you look so beautiful!!

I hope you got some last night like ten times over again!!

..That is if you're into that stuff.
th_devil.gif

Haha, thanks! And I'm not one to kiss and tell, but *WINK* *NUDGE* if you catch my drift
winks.gif

aziajs

I really like it and you do look like a red-haired Christina in that last picture. I also LOVE your hair. I would never know you used a flat iron to do it and 20 minutes is pretty damn good.