Best brush for highly pigmented blush?

javadoo

I use quite a few highly pigmented blushes(Nars Taj Mahal, Mounia, Crazed, etc) and I'd like to know what the best brush to use for these types of blush is for an easy, natural (not scary) look.

I've heard tons of people talk about MAC 187 and even some mention the 116 or a skunk(??? I don't know what a skunk brush is) brush or stippling brush.

shellygrrl

Staff member
MAC's 187 and 188 are both considered “skunk brushes”. Those are definitely options. If you want to do an epic splurge, you could get the much-coveted Suqqu Cheek (it's small, dome-shaped, soft, and not super dense, but it's super expensive. I don't own this brush myself, but I would give up certain organs for it ;)). Or try a fan brush (Smashbox, MAC, Louise Young, Rae Morris, elf, Wayne Goss, Zoeva all have ones in their ranges). I own the 116, but I don't recommend it. I find it a little bit scratchy. There are other brushes out there with a similar paddle shape that are softer. Someone said once that the best brush is the one that does the job [for you]. I agree with that.

javadoo

Thanks for your reply.
I'll keep looking....I just haven't found The One yet and didn't know if there was one that worked best for highly pigmented blushes.

javadoo

Thanks!
I'll let you know what I end up with!
I'm thinking I will try the MAC 187 first to see if it lives up to the hype then go from there.

ilovepoutine

I just bought the MAC 187 and it's a revelation! I'm pale and lots of blushes are easy to overdo, but the 187 is foolproof.

Mardybum

I am in the quest of finding the right brush as well! I do own the 188 and although it's a good brush and it doesn't pack a pot of colour, I think its bristles are too long and sparse so it can be hard to get the colour on with precision. I am thinking of getting either the Mac 159 or the Nars Yachiyo but both brushes are kind of expensive and (as everything) have some negatives reviews. Any thoughts on them?

shellygrrl

Staff member
I know the Yachiyo from NARS has a bad rep for being very scratchy. If you like the shape of the Yachiyo, check out Hakuhodo; they've got some of their own. Not sure about the 159.

javadoo

I ordered the 187 brush. Just waiting for it to arrive!!!
Considering ordering either the 116 or 129 also, just not sure which one to try first.

I'm going to look into the Hakuhodo as well.