Best order to apply your cosmetics?!

saiababy

What is the proper or best order to apply your makeup?! Including cleaning, moisturizing, primer, eyebrows, blush...EVERYTHING!

THANKS!

BestRx

Good question! I'd like to hear some suggestions from the specktra experts since I fear that my process is probably counter-intuitive.

cetati

Whatever works for you. Seriously. If you want mine for reference though... my morning routine looks like this:

Wash face with a exfoliating cleanser.
Tone.
Moisturize.
Sunscreen.
Primer (I use Smashbox in Light).
Foundation.
Concealer.
Set with translucent powder (note: this makes me ashy unless I follow with blush, contouring on the edges of my face).
Contour with a neutral blush a shade lighter than my NC30 (Honor, at the moment), make sure to cover all edges of face near hairline, temple, jaw... so it doesn't reflect white thanks to the powder.
Blush.
Highlighter.
Eye primer.
Sometimes a paint pot when I feel like it (or I'm using eyeshadow that goes with a color I have).
Eyeshadow.
Liner.
Curl lashes.
Mascara

bell21

Like Cetati said it depends on what works for you, my routine is a little different from hers, I like to do my shadows first and get rid of any fall out (i find that if i do my eyes after my foundation that any stray fall out is hard to get rid of and makes any dark circles look worse). It also depend on how much time i have, if i'm running late i usually cute out the eye liner, lip liner & lipstick.

Wash face
exfoliate (3x's a week)
moisturizer (i usually let the moisturizer soak in while i do my hair before doing anything else)
eyeshadow primer &/or paint pot
Eyeshadows
Eye liner
Brows
Mascara/Curl lashes
Foundation primer
Foundation
Concealer
Blush
Bronzer
Lipliner
Lipstick
Lipgloss
MUFE HD Powder

gigiopolis

*I have a bit of an abnormal order because I have a few preferences.

Note that this would be a FULL makeup routine. On a usual day I'd skip a lot of these things.
- Cleanse face
- Moisturize/Sunscreen
- Primer
- Curl lashes (HATE getting weird gunk on my lash curler so I just curl it before everything else)
- UDPP on eyelids (because even my foundation/concealer will crease without it)
- Concealer under the eyes (because I use a powder foundation and liquid concealer under eyes, I find it strange to blend liquid concealer on top of powder consistency)
- Mineral foundation
- Blush/Contour/Highlight
- Set whole face with powder
- Fill in brows
- Eyeshadow
- Liner
- Mascara

But like cetati says, whatever works for you. Like I mentioned before, my order's probably completely different but this is what works for me.

candicenoelle

This is my typical order for applying my face.
smiles.gif
Eyes usually always come first so it's easier to clean up the fallout.

Exfoliating Cleanser
Eye Cream
Moisturizer (let dry)
Primer
Eye primer
Brows
Eyeshadows
Liner
Mascara
Concealer
BE Foundation
Contour/Blush/Highlight
Lip balm
Lip gloss

Stephy171

This is my usual order but like many have said it just depends on your prefrencess.

-Cleance face
-Toner
-Moisturizer (let that soak in my face then i do eyes... i hate fallout!)
-UDPP
-Eyeshadow
-Eyeliner
-Mascara
-Mac Prep + Prime Face
-Concealer
-Foundation
-Setting powder
-Blush & conture (blendd buff everything nicely together)
- Eyebrows
-Fix + is the lastt step!!!

Dreamergirl3

this routine works well for me:
wash face
skin treatments (in my case acne treatment)
moisturizer OR primer
foundation
concealer/corrector
if using, cream blush or cream highlighter
setting powder
bronzer
eye primer
eye makeup (shadow, liner, curl lashes, mascara etc)
brows
cheeks (contour->blush->highlight)
lips

cetati

One thing I want to add is that if you, like me, absolutely feel weird doing your face after your eyes, a good way to help with the fall out is to use pigments wet, and try to pat on shadows instead of swipe. This will reduce fall out a lot.. with some shadows I even pick up product, spritz a little with Fix+, then apply, wipe it off until it's no longer damp, and repeat.

emeraldjewels

I'd imagine everyone is different, this is how I do my whole routine

Cleanse
Tone
Moisturise (let this sink in fully)
Face primer
Concealer - All areas of face
Eye Primer
Paint Pot
Eyeshadows
Eyeliner
Face Powder - MSF Natural in light
Fill in eyebrows and set with clear mascara
Mascara on lashes
Benefit Powderflage under eyes using 224 brush
Blush/Bronzer
Highlighter
Lip liner
Lipstick
Lipgloss
Finally, I use 2 sprays of Fix+ on a fluffy powder brush and swipe all over face

Phew, who knew I had so many steps each morning. lol!

Miss. Herzeleid

Well this way works best for me:

1. Cleanse Face
2. Exfoliate (if needed)
3. Apply Moisturiser
4. Go do something for 2 or 3 minutes to let the moisturiser soak in.
5. (If you use a face Primer i would put it on now, but i dont lol)
6. Apply liquid foundation (or powder, whatever you use)
7. Apply blush and contour colour
8. Apply setting powder over whole face
9. Draw on eyebrows (hehe)
10. (If im using eye shadow) Put powder under my eyes so any shadow fall out wont stick.
11. Put primer on eye lids
12. Apply shadow
13. Apply Eye liner
14. Mascara
15. Some lipliner and lipstick or gloss, or if im feeling wild, both!!

Hope this is useful and remember, what works for some people might not work as well for others
smiles.gif

BestRx

All right, maybe my order isn't as crazy as I thought.

1) Cleanse/Tone (My skin is really dry so I use a moisturizing baby wipe or a tissue-off cleanser and only wash my face with water before bed.)
2) Serum + Moisturizer w/SPF
3) Face Primer
4) Foundation
5) Concealer
6) Loose Powder under eyes
7) Eye Primer
8) Brows (brow powder and setting gel)
9) Shadow (start with highlight, then lid, crease and blend)
10) Liner (top, then bottom lid)
11) Mascara
12) Setting Powder
13) Blush
14) Lips
15) Fix+

I think what I thought was weird was that I don't actually finish my face before I start my eyes. My cheekbones are pretty high so I put loose powder on my undereye and the the top of my cheekbones. I'm afraid buffing it out when I'm done will ruin already applied blush.

Miss H - How do you buff out the loose powder so that your blush stays on?

oracle1

There is no right way. My routine is as follows:

Exfoliate
Wash
Spray with rose water
Moisturize
Concealer/Foundation
Blot Powder
Blush
Brows
Prime Eyes
Apply e/l to waterline
shadows
liquid e/l
curl lashes
mascara
Falsies(when needed)
lips
blot powder again (only if needed)

GlamQueen21

Wash
Moisturize
Apply Fade Cream on my dark spots
Foundation Primer (I use Rimmel Fix and Perfect Foundation Primer)
Foundation
Powder (to set foundation)
Eye Primer (UDPP or Too Faced Shadow Insurance)
Shadow
liquid e/l
e/l on water line
Mascara
Blush
MSF
Lipstick
Lipglass
Fix+

ragdolly

Like everyone else has said, it all really comes down to personal preference and the products your using. Like bell21 I do my foundation after my eyemake-up but still use loose powder to catch the fall out and I don't have eyebrows so that's an extra step or two also.

Here's my routine:

Cleanse
Exfoliate
Shave off baby hairs on my eyebrow area(i tweeze all the hair out but still get that pesky peach fuzz which gets in the way when drawing them on)
Astringent
bareVitamins Skin Rever-upper(I use this because it came in the starter kit whether it does anything or not is beyond me but it's not hurting my skin)
Moisturize
Boots No.7 Mattifying Make-Up Base(just on the eyelids and the edges of my nose and mouth to keep those areas from getting cakey)
UDPP
Draw on half of eyebrows with a medium brown powder
Loose powder under eyes
Eye shadow(this is MAC paints, Kryolan Aqua colors and/or colored eyeliner, then eyeshadows/contouring/highlighting, glitter etc.)
Clean up eye area
Foundation Primer
Foundation(i use bareMinerals)
concealer if needed(i just use the foundation with a deanser brush)
finish eyebrows with a deep orange powder
Liquid eyeliner on top pencil on bottom and waterline
Curl lashes
prime lashes
mascara and comb lashes
blush and contour
setting powder
face highlighter
lips

my routine seems like way more complicated than everyone elses...i've never actually thought it all the way out like that but apparently my bf has because when I told him what i was writing he basically told me the post would take forever
tong.gif

allthatgl1tt3rs

There are a lot of tips that the professionals give for order of application, usually for ease and the best blending! But like everyone else has said I really think it's down to personal preference - depending on the products you use and their textures etc there may be better orders to put them on to avoid messy mistakes etc.

My routine is:

Cleanse
Tone
Exfoliate
Moisturise
Oil Mattifier (this is specific to a brand I use - I suffer from an oily T Zone so this helps keep oil at bay for 8 hours or so!)
I then give it a couple of mins for this to all sink into my skin then:
Foundation
Concealer under the eyes and on any blemishes lurking!
Lipbalm
While waiting for the lip balm to set I put eye primer on my eyelids and beneath my lower lashline (to lock in the eyeliner later!)
While waiting for the eye primer to set I then apply lipstick/lipgloss or both (I'm not used to using lipliner on myself yet, but I would like to master this!)
Eyeshadows
Eyeliner
Mascara

I sometimes incorporate blush at the end but haven't got this into my routine much yet - will hopefully change that very soon!

HTH x

ladyJ

Cleanse
(Then I use acne stuff you can def. skip this if it didn't a problem for you)
Mositurize
liquid foundation
powder
eyebrows
eye base (UDPP or paints)
eyeshadows
eyeliner
contour (not doen all the time)
bronzer (not done all the time)
blush
highlight (not done all the time)
setting powder
mascara
Chapstick
lipstick
lipgloss

The order I do my makeup is weird haha! I like doing mascara last just in case I have to add more powder to my face because I am so oily. I don't like having white stuff on my eyelashes. It's best to do a routine that you are most comfortable with.

KAKATI

I'm not sure if I'm the only one who does this but I apply mascara before I do any other make up.. but that might be because I have very long eyelashes and my mascara gets all over my eyes so I have to wipe off the extra with lotion on a qtip.

GoldenGurly02

cleanse face
tone
moisturize
foundation all over face (I would wipe away any concealer for blemishes if I did foundation after concealer...)
concealer on any blemishes
concealer for under eyes, if needed (Tho, I've heard this step can go AFTER applying eye makeup to cover any smudges)
highlight my face
curl eyelashes
blush
eyeshadow
eyeliner
mascara
Then I do my hair!