Best way to clean lipsticks?

angela

I've noticed artists at MAC do this but I don't remember exactly what they do.. I know alcohol and kleenex is used and do they slice off the top layer or something? Does anyone know how to do it?

mel0622

last time i was there i think they just put some alcohol in a beaker swish it around and then wipe it on the tissue.

MAC_Pixie04

i use brush cleaner heavily diluted with water and then wipe it clean with a tissue. don't slice or scrape lipsticks, it messes them up beyond repair and you're wasting useful product everytime.

melozburngr

when I went for my demonstration interview, she showed me to pour the alcohol in the beaker, dip the lipstick in it, hold it lipstick part down til the alcohol evaporates, and wipe the flat top part on a tissue and gently wipe the sides with a tissue...

mspixieears

Yep, I have also very gently wiped l/s with the alcohol swabs that the doctors use on you before pricking you with a needle for blood tests or injections. You have to make sure you're not too heavy-handed, and might need 2-3.

angela

Thanks everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by melozburngr
when I went for my demonstration interview, she showed me to pour the alcohol in the beaker, dip the lipstick in it, hold it lipstick part down til the alcohol evaporates, and wipe the flat top part on a tissue and gently wipe the sides with a tissue...

how much alcohol do you put in the beaker? So you hold the lipstick down in the beaker until the alcohol evaporates? sorry, i'm just trying to visualize it
smiles.gif
TIA!

Isis

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela
do they slice off the top layer or something? Does anyone know how to do it?

With a razor blade.

giz2000

You can just dip the tip of a lipstick into a beaker with alcohol (usually, they have about 1 inch of alcohol in them), hold it upside down, let the alcohol evaporate and wipe with a tissue...

caffn8me

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Pixie04
i use brush cleaner heavily diluted with water and then wipe it clean with a tissue. don't slice or scrape lipsticks, it messes them up beyond repair and you're wasting useful product everytime.

If you are doing this because you are sanitizing the lipstick for use on other people you need to use a stronger alcohol to kill bacteria. You need a minimum of 70% alcohol in a solution.

The M·A·C technique involves dipping the pointed end of the lipstick in 70% isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) and removing it keeping the pointed end down to avoid alcohol running back into the case. Then it is dried with a clean tissue. You won't need to hold the lipstick in alcohol for ten seconds to kill bacteria and you don't need to wait for the alcohol to evaporate. Just wipe it off with a clean tissue.