beware! ebay shadows, mac fakes! (with pics)

MACgirl

I recently purchased jasmine and angelcake shadows from sellers stromasis (jasmine) and kosmetiques_boutiques (angelcake). They looked very new and real...untill i depotted them. I may be making false accusations so please correct me if im wrong, but i have been with mac for 2 yrs and a makeup artist for 5 and i never have seen a shadow pan like this (i have depotted over 100 mac shadows in my life.). However both shadows were in the exactly same pot as a reg shadow was, i checked the clasps, sticker, mac letter on the top and formation of the pot and it was ok, it even had the reg. design imprint our shadows do, the fakes are getting untraceable till you depot them! here are the pics, if anyone can help it'd be great thanks!

jenntoz

I had wanted to get a pigment from kosmetiques_boutiques & messaged them asking for more pics (showing the bottom of the jar & top of the box, etc) and they never responded. That to me(non responsive) is always a bad sign.

MACgirl

Re: beware! ebay shadows, mac fakes! (with pic)

here it is compared to the smooth back of a real mac shadow...

wolfsong

Unless they have changed their pans/have a few batches that have different pans for some reason (packaging/manufacturing issues) then i think you are spot on. Thanks for this info - it may be useful for people that buy from those sellers that are flogging the same sets of colours but are as you say look very convincing (these buyers can send the depotted eyeshadows to MAC for verification).

hhunt2

Oh no!

So I bought some stuff from kosmetiques_boutiques on Ebay the otherday. I just recieved the stuff in the mail today! The funny thing is that she lives in the same city as me (San Jose, Ca). I asked her if we can do a local pick-up (maybe meet at a mall or something)... She told me that she doesn't like to go out in public and that I should meet her at her HOME!!! Omg, can you believe that?!?! So I just paid for the shipping (even though the post office she dropped it off at is less than 5 mins aways from me).

So once I depott Velum e/s later today... I will see if the pan is different. I also got Woodwink e/s refill which was a flat pan.

**Update: So I just depotted the Vellum and the bottom of the pan is indented (not a flat smooth pan)... ARG, ITS FAKE !!
PICT0051.jpg

charlie2504

I got the same pan as you(not flat) when I depotted Falling star. I bought a couple of E/S from this seller but I can't remember if this one came from him. Is it a fake?

julie150463

Hi ladies
How do you manage to depot the shadow without ruining it? If you see my other posts I am now a super paranoid seller and was worried about some 'Velour' shadows I have.

I've managed to get it out and thankfully the back is smooth and everything else seems to marry up - just that I've totally smashed the shadow to pieces - oops - so any tips to do it with more grace of an hamfisted orangutan would be much appreciated
winks.gif

Thanks all

rockin

If you look on YouTube, there are several different methods shown for depotting eyeshadows.

julie150463

Thankyou - I'll check it out now
Don't think using a kitchen knife was probably the best tool to be using!

stingray

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie150463
Thankyou - I'll check it out now
Don't think using a kitchen knife was probably the best tool to be using!

There's a video here for depotting without heat or freezing: YouTube - Depotting MAC w/o heat. He does use a knife, but I managed to use this method without a knife with no problem. I just used my nail to lift the unit out (mind you, I've got strong nails!), then dribbled the alcohol down the side without a knife. Worked for me just fine and seemed deadly easy compared to the other methods.

The one I bought off eBay (different seller) that I've so far depotted was flat and came from a trusted seller.

duch3ss25

Wow, that's leery to me. Can't give a definitive answer but ALL eyeshadows I've bought from MAC and from other sellers (but confirmed genuine) have smooth pans. That pan looks like the one I usually pry off of those palettes from Icing for my pressed pigments!

I don't think that the quality of MAC eyeshadows has deteriorated to the level of drugstore brands out there yet. And given that all of the eyeshadows I've bought in recent collections still have smooth pans, I'd say these ebayers are selling fakes.

Jade1012

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray
There's a video here for depotting without heat or freezing: YouTube - Depotting MAC w/o heat. He does use a knife, but I managed to use this method without a knife with no problem. I just used my nail to lift the unit out (mind you, I've got strong nails!), then dribbled the alcohol down the side without a knife. Worked for me just fine and seemed deadly easy compared to the other methods.

The one I bought off eBay (different seller) that I've so far depotted was flat and came from a trusted seller.

yes EnKore make ups method of depotting without heat WORKS! I have depotted alot of my e/s and have broken only one.. ( my first try lmao) they are easy to repair too. He has vidoes on how to repair and press pigments. That man is GOLD!

Jade