Birthmarks & Moles

User93

Ok, this question upsets me really. I went to see the doctor last year, and she said my birthmarks are ok. She looked at them in glasses. I went tanning since then, i didnt abuse it, but well, it was good for my skin, i got rid of pimples. Since then, i started to notice some new moles appearing, plus, i have some of them which are "pointing out". My Mom said thats a normal thing to get new birthmarks and it happends to everyone, and maybe before i went to tan i simply didnt pay attention. But im scared to death to go see the doctor again. Does it mean, that it i get new birthmarks and well, some are like "brown with black dots" that im screwed?

Do you girls have moles? Have you ever noticed new ones appearing? Did you ever check em?

erine1881

are you talking actual moles (raised) or freckles/"beauty marks"?

moles are raised, and you always want to keep an eye out for any changes, especially if you're out in the sun, in ABCD-asymmetry, border, color, diameter. if there are different colors in one mole, then you wanna have it checked, especially if it wasn't like that the last time you saw it.

freckles/"beauty marks" aren't just on your face. i have em everywhere! these will darken from sun exposure, and these too need to be checked along with moles.

you don't get new birthmarks. you are born with them. they can fade as you get older, but can also darken with sun exposure, and aren't a concern on their own.

go to the doctor. doctors aren't gonna preach to you about what you need to be doing. if they do, you need a new doctor. what they will do is tell you how to take care of your skin, and what can happen if you don't. you can either be scared to death, or have something happen cause you didn't get checked out and die. your choice.

xxManBeaterxx

Moles are formed because of an abundance of pigment cells in the skin, you will normally have all your moles by the time you are 20 years old. As you age 60+ years old, they may just grow spontaneously, moles arent caused by the sun, unless of course skin cancer.

Sounds like you have sun damage on your skin hun. The brown spots on your skin are raised meaning theres is there a bump? What color is it? Is it all one color brown or black? (its normally all one color). Is it super uneven in circumference? (moles that dont look like nice circles but blobs is a small indication of skin cancer). You should search on google for moles and melanoma, what a normal mole should look like vs skin cancer.

I cannot diagnose you, but you have some sort of skin damage they are some type of skin leisons caused by the sun, premature aging WEAR SPF!!. They often appear as tiny brown bumbs on your chest, face, neck, and back, it gets worse with age since is genetically predisposed. You can get them removed from a dermatologist office, they just zap it with some cold liquid nitrogen and it should peel off
smiles.gif
this is only if your skin spots are bumps.

If your spots are FLAT, they are probably just what we call sun spots.

User93

well, i used to have a flat brown "spot" (i will call it like that as i cant really understand the difference between it and a mole yet), now i noticed it to start poppin out :/ Plus, i noticed 1 more poppin spot appearing. Mine are brown in general, but well, 1 or 2 are brown with black dots. Im very very scared, cause yea, i went tanning, but i never did it too much.. Just to get rid of skin problems , acne on the back. Idk if my spots are bad or they just changed cause of age or reacted to the uv light, but im so scared
ssad.gif
Also i have some little tiny red spots. If they are bad, am i completely screwed or it can be cured and removed from me?

xxManBeaterxx

ya most of these things are removed from dermatologist office, moles and the little b rown dots can be removed, it doesnt hurt!

User93

i mean.. what if they find this spots suspecious, and even if they find those are "bad" can it be cured if removed? Or im screwed? Damn im so scared.

Mizz.Yasmine

i've been told the flat marks are the 1's to mainly watch out for, the raised round ones(like beauty marks)are usually healthy and fine.

always see a doc when u notice any changes

and maybe u should see a derm and get something to treat ur back acne instead of tanning so much.or try to cut ur tanning down to once every 2 weeks.u probaly dont have to tan as much as u think to help ur skin stay clear.

User93

Mizz Yasmine, i dont tan much at all, i used to tan for 1,5 months in winter and since then i havent been to a solarium for 3 months, as my back was still ok after that! Im thinking myself of seeking some help for back acne, i have some skin problems, but thats the biggest! My face is almost clear all the time, chest etc.. Only happends on my back! Wierd!
I know i gotta see the doc, im just scared! That woman i went to seemed really qualified, but she just took a look in the glasses :/ Plus im very scared if this cant be cured, in case they find something..

TDoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alibi
i mean.. what if they find this spots suspecious, and even if they find those are "bad" can it be cured if removed? Or im screwed? Damn im so scared.

I have the type of skin that produces a lot of flat moles that look like dark freckles...YES moles can be flat. I've gone to the dermatologist religiously twice a year since I was 19. I had a few "suspicious" completely flat moles removed (they were actually very small) and it was no big deal. Just go to the dermatologist regularly and they will catch and remove anything suspicious before it has the time to turn into skin cancer. It's when you've had something suspicious looking on your skin for years and never get it checked out when you need to worry. Skin cancer runs in my family, so I have to be pretty careful.
Understand that moles are normal. All of mine are mostly flat. I only have a few that actually look flat, but are slightly raised. It really doesn't mean anything one way or another. A flat mole can be just as bad as a raised one.
The most important thing to look for is changes. If a mole starts to change (like gets bigger, takes a slightly different shape, changes color) then you need to go get it checked out.
There are actually 3 different types of skin cancer...I'm not gonna get into all that...but just realize that if you ever get something removed and it has cancerous cells and you are diagnosed with skin cancer, it doesn't mean you're going to die. My mother had melanoma (the deadly kind) when she was 25. She got it removed and they took a lot of skin from around it and shes fine today! She had a mole that she had never gotten checked that had probably been weird for years. If a derm would have seen it and saw it was suspicious and removed it, it wouldn't have developed into cancer.
Ok, enough rambling...lol.
But seriously, the best thing you can do is to start a routine of going to the dermatologist. Mine tells me all the time that as long as you keep an eye on yourself and go at least once a year, he would catch something before it had time to grow into something bad.
Just don't let it worry you, and go to the dermatologist! Oh and if your remotely concerned about your skin, stay away from tanning beds! I tan moderately outside and try to never burn, but tanning beds aren't good for you in any way.

OohJeannie

You'll worry yourself crazy by wondering and asking yourself crazy questions. Just go to the DR and find out. I have to go myself. I have lotsa "dots" lol

purrtykitty

It is normal to get new moles. I've gotten quite a few "new" ones, myself. But if you're uncertain, definitely go to the doctor. They won't be "mad" that you've been tanning, but obviously they'll tell you it's bad for your skin - because it is, pimples or not. Plus, if you're having that much trouble with acne, they can give you something to help. I believe UV therapy is reserved as a last resort and only for extreme cases when it comes to acne treatment, simply because of the danger of exposure to the rest of the skin.

hr44

Just go to a doctor. Honestly asking here still isn't going to relieve your own concerns, you know?
If you look at my pics in the FOTDs you'll see two distinct (well 3) spots on my nose. Over the years have gotten slightly larger and the one by my cheek appeared within the last some years. I don't even go tanning.
My dad says by the end of the summer he's going to take me to a friend of his (both of them are doctors) to get them removed. Mind you they aren't dangerous but it is under best intentions these two, or at least the top one gets removed because he knows I have a tendency to over concern myself with these things so it's just smart for me to have them removed.

So it's just in your own best interest to get them checked out, so you can worry less. =)

KellyBean

I had a birthmark on my back for my entire life up until recenly. Melanoma, unfortunately, has touched a lot of my family. Therefore, my mom took me to a dermatologist, but we (my mom and I) decided that I should get it taken off at a plastic surgeon. I got it removed and you can see a raised bump (scar) from the surgery.

Basically, I'd say the same thing my surgeon told me; if anyone is losing sleep over it, see a dermatologist or something and get it taken off.

PM me if you want any more details on anything!

edit: If it's irregular in shape (not a circle) or in color (not a single, uniform color, or if it's not brown or black), go get it checked out. Also, having hair on it (gross as heck, I know) is actually a good sign.

User93

thank you so much! I know i will constantly worry until i get checked, thats jus cheering to know that someone has them appearing aswell and it doesnt nessesarily mean im completely screwed!

TDoll, thanks a lot for your examples! Im really glad to hear that if i catch it on time it can be cured, im not that afraid much, cause i thought that if the doc finds something there, im screwed. My moles changed a little in size and i have 1 very strange one, with black dots all over.. And well i have no hair in them. I'll get checked next month. Thank ya'll so much! Hugs ladies
smiles.gif