Books

SpareMyHeart

Hey,
Im not sure if this question has already been asked,if it has someone please redirect me!

I was wondering if anyone can suggest some good books on makeup,preferably written by MUA's.

Im self-teaching myself to become a MUA so im looking for the best of the best.

THANKS!

Quiana

Iman's book The Beauty of Color is fantastic. Although she emphasizes make up techiniques for women of color ( black, asian, latina, indian, etc) the tips are universal. Very good read.

kare31

Check out NARS Makeup Your Mind. Has both neutral, glamour, and high fashion looks. The book has clear overlays showing where and what makeup was used to create the look. I also like Stephanie Seymours beauty for dummies for basic makeup application. NARS has a color section in that book also with some very beautiful classic looks.

bluegrassbabe

Making Faces and Face Forward, both by Kevyn Aucoin. I have referred to them over and over again. There are loads of illustrations, and I love all the little stories included.

lara

Kevin Aucoin books are popular but the techniques are incredibly dated. They're good for getting ideas and understanding what makes a face, but I wouldn't use them to teach myself make-up.
Quiana recommended 'The Beauty of Colour' and I agree - it's a wonderful book. The techniques and materials are getting a little old, but the basics are all there.

If you want up-to-date information on make-up, your best bet is to buy the monthly MA trade magazines, flick through the high-end hair magazines, and religiously read monthly fashion magazines that have a health and beauty section. Even try ringing around working MAs and ask if you can be an assistant for a few weekends - you'll learn a squillion times more on the job than you can from a book.
smiles.gif