Brush Cleansers

starangel2383

I am looking for a good but inexpensive brush cleanser that works great on both natural hair and synthetic brushes such as foundation brushes, I've tried the baby shampoo for awhile and that has worked somewhat and I've also tried MAC's brush cleanser and while good, i just want to find something a little better, especially for those synthetic brushes. If anyone can give me stores to go to or websites to look at, please send me a message on here or on facebook.

Marci Cantor

summerblue

I don't know if there is an inexpensive brush cleaner as they're all so darn expensive. I'm using Cinema Secrets brush cleaner (cinemasecrets.com) that I buy in the 32 oz. size. It's absolutely wonderful! But, have to pay ups freight to have it shipped.

MzzRach

I agree with the Cinema Secrets recommendation - but it is fairly pricey. However, it does break down pigment very well.

I am pretty happy using baby shampoo or a gentle organic hand soap (which also works really well) on my brushes - I wash them weekly.

Senoj

I use Elf's Daily brush cleanser spray for $3 it's a 8 fl oz and I use their brush shampoo which is $3 for 4 fl oz. I love both of them.

silentstorm143

I typically use baby shampoo but I do find the synthetic brushes ie concealer tend to be harder to get cleaned so I clean it first with rubbing alcohol then the baby shampoo.

ywill

I use the pink soap. It will clean any type of brush. It made for paint brushes and craft paint brushes. It works wonders on my brushes. I got mine from Michael's Craft store with 40% off coupon.

pink_soap_120.jpg

naturallyfab

I honestly adore Johnson's baby shampoo for my brushes. It leaves my brushes feeling super soft, and gets all the makeup gunk out of them!

HeavenLeiBlu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ywill
I use the pink soap. It will clean any type of brush. It made for paint brushes and craft paint brushes. It works wonders on my brushes. I got mine from Michael's Craft store with 40% off coupon.

pink_soap_120.jpg

This is exactly what I came to post. I discovered it a few months ago, and I think it's amazing. it conditions the brushes, too but doesn't leave residue behind.

For quick cleans, I use Parian Spirit.

em2chick

I once saw a Youtube post of a girl using the craft store cleaner for her brushes, but this worries me. Has anyone considered the ingredients in that particular type of cleaner? I mean, if it's not opthamogically safe/tested, then why would you take the chance? I think some of those products might claim that they're "toxic free" but I don't think it's safe enough to use on eye brushes. I wouldn't want to go blind.
th_dunno.gif

kittykit

I too use Johnson's baby shampoo to clean my brush. I wash my foundation and concealer brushes after every use... It really cleans my brushes and leave them soft.

Teex

I also use Johnson's baby shampoo to clean my brushes, once-twice a week, depending on how often I use them. For spot cleaning, I really like the MAC brush cleanser (haven't tried any other brands, but the ELF one also seems good). I pour some into a spray bottle and dilute it with a bit of water- makes the bottle last longer.

However, I have noticed that it's sometimes hard to remove caked on concealer/foundation on synthetic brushes, even with the baby shampoo, so what I do is add a bit of face cleaner (any kind that can remove face make up- I use Nivea Oxygen Power), and it removes it beautifully!

franken_stein

Has anybody tried the CVS Essence of Beauty brush cleanser? I might just try it myself but I wanted to hear more opinions just because what I have seen so far is hugely mixed reviews! Some people are saying it's crap, others are saying that a cheap brush cleanser does the same thing as Mac's. I also was wondering if anybody had a long-term use opinion on it.

I still use shampoo for deep cleans but I need something for spot cleaning every day, and I'm wondering if the cheap one really is just as good... *shrug*

thiscarmen

Before I started using baby shampoo to wash my brushes, I used the Cover FX Brush Cleaner. I'm sure you'll be able to find it at sephora, sephora.com or maybe even coverfx.com.

It doesn't only wash your brushes, but it also contains tea tree oil, which is a natural anti-bacterial, so it will keep your brushes bacteria-free!

You only need a small amount, and it lathers up really nicely and you can totally see all of your makeup coming off your brushes.

Hope this helps!

Rioselva

I use Dr. Bronners from Target. It's pretty cheap. I use the baby formula. It's pure castile soap, which means it has oils in it, and it gets every bit of gunk out. Even concealer and foundation. The only thing is that you have to rinse and rinse and rinse to get it all out. I never use it straight, I mix it with a little water.