Buying New MACBook- Stressed!!

abbyquack

Hi guys! Well, my MACBook that I bought 3 years ago (seems like just yesterday!) is gettin' "old"- I bought it with 80gb thinking I would never need more space but now I am maxed out with just the bare bones on it, can't run a lot of newer programs, and I am still running on Tiger OS X, which is apparently way old school. Anyways I have decided that instead of having to keep putting everything on an external hard drive, I am just going to break down and get a new MACBook. I am thinking of the basic 13' MACBook Pro model, and they are offering a free Ipod Touch with purchase.

Anyways I don't know why but I am kinda apprehensive- I love my old MACbook, it's just so handy and has run like a dream for me. Like I am not really "ready" to part with it, but of course having 2 laptops would be a bit silly.

Aside from my lame rant, does anyone have any tips about the MacBooks? Any pros/cons? I would love to hear from my MAC (computer) geeks!
smiles.gif

LMD84

This would be great if this gets lots of replies because i really want to get the mac book pro 13''. however my husband keeps trying to put me off. Like you my current laptop (dell not mac) is 3 years old and is getting very slow, filled the 220gb hard drive and some of the keys keep popping off! not good! But my hubby tells me that with the mac book i am just paying for how pretty it is rather than the insides. which yes i do part agree, but equally i feel mac's last longer than pc's. (i had an imac desktop about 6 years ago)

abbyquack

Thanks for your response Lou! I do agree that with Apple you are paying a premium for the looks- I have found tons of laptops with the same specs as the MacBook Pro at half the price. But I also just love interface of Apple. Once I got used to the shortcuts and stuff, I have found them so easy and fuss-free to use.
thmbup.gif

noahlowryfan

are you a college student or a faculty or staff member because that deal only applies to them according to Apple's website.

also you gotta think that with the PC you have to pay for your anti-virus/spyware software every year so that price will just adds up whenever for Mac, you don't have to do that. There are few viruses for the Mac.

abbyquack

Yes I am a student so that's good
smiles.gif
I am definitely set on Mac, as I hate running all the anti-virus software and stuff like that- such a hassle! The price difference is certainly worth it
smiles.gif

I was going to order one yesterday but I just don't feel like it's the right time. I know that's silly but my job is coming to an end in the next month so I think I am going to hold out a little longer.
yes.gif

LMD84

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbyquack
Yes I am a student so that's good
smiles.gif
I am definitely set on Mac, as I hate running all the anti-virus software and stuff like that- such a hassle! The price difference is certainly worth it
smiles.gif

I was going to order one yesterday but I just don't feel like it's the right time. I know that's silly but my job is coming to an end in the next month so I think I am going to hold out a little longer.
yes.gif

yes Nick has told me to wiat until after Christmas. then if i still want it i can get it
smiles.gif

LittleMaryJane

You already have a MacBook so you have to know how freaking wonderful they are
smiles.gif
I love mine. So, so soooo much. Does yours have the touchpad that does all kinds of stuff? That was my main concern when I had a macbook before, I didn't like the touchpad situation (this was yearsss ago) and now it's so... Functional. It's great.

I also love how I don't have any problems with it being slow... Mine is coming up on two years now.

I could go on and on about how much I love this laptop but I think I'll stop there
greengrin.gif

abbyquack

Yea I totally agree, I have been very pleased with mine! One thing I'm worried about is that this last one I got, I didn't get the 3-year Apple protection plan, and it has been now over 3 years with no problems, so that's good. However, I get worried about getting a lemon, bc my sister bought one and it was dead within just a few months! Luckily she had the plan so they hooked her up w/ a new one. But I also find the $300 plan to be kind of pricey especially if you never have to use it...hmm...

Also I *think* I have a touchpad. I just discovered the other day that I could scroll with it!
lol.gif
I'd love to know some other tricks.

noahlowryfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbyquack
Yea I totally agree, I have been very pleased with mine! One thing I'm worried about is that this last one I got, I didn't get the 3-year Apple protection plan, and it has been now over 3 years with no problems, so that's good. However, I get worried about getting a lemon, bc my sister bought one and it was dead within just a few months! Luckily she had the plan so they hooked her up w/ a new one. But I also find the $300 plan to be kind of pricey especially if you never have to use it...hmm...

Also I *think* I have a touchpad. I just discovered the other day that I could scroll with it!
lol.gif
I'd love to know some other tricks.

can you tell those who don't know what a lemon is. Cause for sure I don't know what it is.

LMD84

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahlowryfan
can you tell those who don't know what a lemon is. Cause for sure I don't know what it is.

a lemon means that it was a bit of a dud one, or faulty
smiles.gif