Can I get a second or third opinion on this: fake or real?

HeatherLouWho

I am kind of new around these parts but I have a question.

I received this item in a swap and today I took it out of limbo and set it on my dresser next to my other pigment jars and I was like, "hmmm.....this one is taller, and it has different writing on the back...and the numbers are different...I wonder if this is what they mean by thick jar bottoms..."

So I just want your opinions, just to be sure.

panda0410

These pics are pretty hard to see.... from what I can make out its a jar of Frost? Looks like a 5 digit number on the bottom??
The base of the jar looks terrible to me, I'd really like a closer look at the base if you get a clearer pic would be great
smiles.gif

Nightvamp

some of the pro pigments do have the diffrent text on the back. (last photo) But on the first photo there's no number like A12 or so, so it seems to be fake.

Xqueeze_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightvamp
some of the pro pigments do have the diffrent text on the back. (last photo) But on the first photo there's no number like A12 or so, so it seems to be fake.

There was a specktrette who was selling a Pink Opal pigment in the Clearance Bin with no batch code number. Just the name of the pigment.

xxManBeaterxx

A 5 digit batch number on the bottom? That smells fake! fake! fake! There should only be 3 numbers like A95, B81, etc.

iamadreamer

I have an old royal blue pigment that also has a long encoding on the bottom of the jar. This has a super shiney lid too, ONLY because this is really old product. Maybe these pics can help you authenticate yours
th_dunno.gif

Hope this helps
th_wiggle2.gif

panda0410

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherLouWho
Thanks guys. This had a five digit batch code on the bottom, so I am pretty sure it is fake
ssad.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxManBeaterxx
A 5 digit batch number on the bottom? That smells fake! fake! fake! There should only be 3 numbers like A95, B81, etc.

That isnt always true guys - the really old pigments - like pre 1999 - DID have 5 digit batch codes - which is why I asked. I had a few of them myself, though they are gone now.

The thick jar base is still a concern though, like I said a better pic would help a lot
smiles.gif

panda0410

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamadreamer
I have an old royal blue pigment that also has a long encoding on the bottom of the jar. This has a super shiney lid too, ONLY because this is really old product. Maybe these pics can help you authenticate yours
th_dunno.gif

Hope this helps
th_wiggle2.gif

Yay - this is what I was talking about! My first Green had a 5 digit code, so did my rose, steel blue and bright coral
smiles.gif
I have Royal Blue as well, but its a much newer batch with the 3 digits...LOL!

dangerousmuffins

I am going to lean more towards real. I have never seen personally a fake pigment with a 5 digit batch code. Better pics is needed to really see the bottom of the thickness of the jar.