Charlotte Rampling, the face of NARS for its 20th anniversary

MarieMary

Charlotte Rampling has another project in the works: She’s the new face of Nars, which is gearing up for its 20th anniversary in September. According to brand executives, Rampling will appear in a “black-and-white portrait-style image” shot by founder and creative director François Nars. Rampling was chosen, in part, because she has been one of Nars’ muses. “She is a natural beauty that feels strong, yet relatable,” Nars told WWD. “Charlotte’s ability of transformation is unparalleled. Whether captured in pieces of artwork, through the lens of a magazine photographer or on film and the big screen, she had an amazing power to encompass a character.”
Nars went on to say Rampling’s “strength of character” and artistic talents make her a perfect fit for the brand. “I remember Dirk Bogarde referencing Charlotte’s ‘fabled look’ because of the combination of her beauty and withering gaze,” he said. “This is what makes her an endlessly watchable mystery.”

http://www.wwd.com/fashion-news/fashion-scoops/anniversary-days-7511582

Aquamarine1543

Charlotte Rampling has another project in the works: She’s the new face of Nars, which is gearing up for its 20th anniversary in September. According to brand executives, Rampling will appear in a “black-and-white portrait-style image” shot by founder and creative director François Nars. Rampling was chosen, in part, because she has been one of Nars’ muses. “She is a natural beauty that feels strong, yet relatable,” Nars told WWD. “Charlotte’s ability of transformation is unparalleled. Whether captured in pieces of artwork, through the lens of a magazine photographer or on film and the big screen, she had an amazing power to encompass a character.”
Nars went on to say Rampling’s “strength of character” and artistic talents make her a perfect fit for the brand. “I remember Dirk Bogarde referencing Charlotte’s ‘fabled look’ because of the combination of her beauty and withering gaze,” he said. “This is what makes her an endlessly watchable mystery.”

http://www.wwd.com/fashion-news/fashion-scoops/anniversary-days-7511582
Is she just a new muse in Sep, or do they have some collaboration?

SloanePeterson

I think this is fantastic! I love that they are using a mature actress for their campaign. I would love to see more companies do this and it's a very bold move by NARS. She is attractive in a way and I like that the article above said she is known for her "withering gaze" - that's so true.

However, I didn't like the article above because it featured a picture of her from the 1960s instead of what she looks like now.

I found this article on the topic from the UK Daily Mail. I'm glad they featured a current photo of Rampling.

MarieMary

I think this is fantastic! I love that they are using a mature actress for their campaign. I would love to see more companies do this and it's a very bold move by NARS. She is attractive in a way and I like that the article above said she is known for her "withering gaze" - that's so true.

However, I didn't like the article above because it featured a picture of her from the 1960s instead of what she looks like now.

I found this article on the topic from the UK Daily Mail. I'm glad they featured a current photo of Rampling.
Totally agree! She was stunning in her younger days, but she still is classy, magnetic and confident. Too bad some news sources used older pictures.
I've always loved her hooded lids and light eyes. Intense unique gaze.

Btw, have you seen on the FB and Twitter of Specktra about Jessica Lange being picked as the face for Marc Jacobs Beauty? ;)

SloanePeterson

She's the face of the brand; they didn't talk about a collaboration. ;) I think the theme for the holiday collection would be the brand's 20th anniversary, that would make sense.

Totally agree! She was stunning in her younger days, but she still is classy, magnetic and confident. Too bad some news sources used older pictures.
I've always loved her hooded lids and light eyes. Intense unique gaze.

Btw, have you seen on the FB and Twitter of Specktra about Jessica Lange being picked as the face for Marc Jacobs Beauty? ;)
No, I didn't see that news! Thank you for telling us. That's very exciting. Jessica Lange has always been known as a great beauty and a tremendous actress. This is an awesome trend. I tweeted about Charlotte Ramplings's Nars campaign after hearing the news here first.

Maybe we'll see Helen Mirren be the next cosmetics rep! What do you think - Givenchy?

MarieMary

No, I didn't see that news! Thank you for telling us. That's very exciting. Jessica Lange has always been known as a great beauty and a tremendous actress. This is an awesome trend. I tweeted about Charlotte Ramplings's Nars campaign after hearing the news here first.

Maybe we'll see Helen Mirren be the next cosmetics rep! What do you think - Givenchy?
That would be cool! I just wish this were not just a trend. I wouldn't want every brand to jump on the wagon and pick more mature women as the face for their new campagin, then forget about it altogether a few seasons later. I just hope for more diversity in age and ethnicity on a regular basis. ;)

That being said, if Chanel ever wants to invite Carole Bouquet back for a beauty campaign, I wouldn't be complaining at all. :)

User38

That would be cool! I just wish this were not just a trend. I wouldn't want every brand to jump on the wagon and pick more mature women as the face for their new campagin, then forget about it altogether a few seasons later. I just hope for more diversity in age and ethnicity on a regular basis. ;)

That being said, if Chanel ever wants to invite Carole Bouquet back for a beauty campaign, I wouldn't be complaining at all. :)
I don't think it's just a trend. Demographics are proving it. Baby boomers world wide are still the wealthiest group out there and it makes sense to use an older model as a spokesperson to an ever aging population. Besides the fact that the women are gorgeous and sexy hot as hell.
flower.gif
And everyone wants to look good when they are young -- and stay that way when they are older.

MarieMary

I don't think it's just a trend. Demographics are proving it. Baby boomers world wide are still the wealthiest group out there and it makes sense to use an older model as a spokesperson to an ever aging population. Besides the fact that the women are gorgeous and sexy hot as hell.
flower.gif
And everyone wants to look good when they are young -- and stay that way when they are older.
Oh I don't doubt statistics and demographics and the fact that baby boomers are customers. I just doubt the brands' ability to listen to those statistics and act according to them. ;)

katred

Specktra Bestie
I think part of this is driven by the red carpet. It's been a few years now that those who consistently get chosen as the best-dressed, most alluring, and sexiest have included a lot of women of a certain age. Helen Mirren is clearly the big prize in this regard. That said, if Chanel used Carole Bouquet, I would NEVER get the man away from the Chanel boutiques. His crush on her is longstanding and, as he says, she seems to get even better with age.

MeJaneYouTarzan

She's the face of the brand; they didn't talk about a collaboration. ;) I think the theme for the holiday collection would be the brand's 20th anniversary, that would make sense. Totally agree! She was stunning in her younger days, but she still is classy, magnetic and confident. Too bad some news sources used older pictures. I've always loved her hooded lids and light eyes. Intense unique gaze. Btw, have you seen on the FB and Twitter of Specktra about Jessica Lange being picked as the face for Marc Jacobs Beauty? ;)
That's great that MJ is going with Jessica Lange. For a long time, his clothing ads always had whoever was the hottest/trendiest/most scandalous young thing (though to be fair he also had interesting choices like Sofia Coppola and Winona Ryder). An inspired choice! I'm glad that all these brands are expanding what they consider "beauty"