Choosing a foundation brush

lilithbloody

Hi there!

I'm currently using fluid foundation (Studio Fix Fluid or Select, depends on the coverage I want) applied with sponge.

I bought a MAC 190 brush some time ago (still not sure if it's a fake) and I can't work with it, not sure if it's me or just the brush but I can hardly blend my foundation, the brush strokes are visible
th_dunno.gif

So I did a little bit of research and I have two brushes in mind: MAC 188 and MAC 187. I can't tell the difference between them, is the 188 better with fluids?

Maybe I'll go for Sigma brushes* first to give them a try and if it's worth it I'll go for MAC's.

(or any good dupe you could recomend me
winks.gif
)

Thanks in advance!

gildedangel

The only difference between the 187 and the 188 is size, they are made of the same materials. For foundation, you would probably want to use the 187 as it is bigger. I use a 187 for my liquid foundation and I love it, HTH!

lilithbloody

Yes, that helped a lot!!

I had doubts about the diference between 188 and 187 because of the description at Mac's website.. While for the 187 they state that is "A large full circular brush used for lightweight application and blending of face powder or pigments", their description for the 188 is "A flat-topped, full circular brush used for lightweight application and blending of any formula colour – fluid, cream, powder or pigment"
th_confused_new.gif

Anyway, now I know the 187 is the right choose for its size. Could you recommend a non-mac brush that is similar to the 187? At the moment I can't afford spending 40.00€ on a brush..

smellyocheese

188 is smaller and would be good for buffing around smaller areas like the side of the nose, etc. I personally use 188 for blush. 187 is bigger and most people use that for foundation as opposed to the 188

I have the 187 and though I initially used it for liquid foundation, I decided that the elf Studio Powder Brush (flat top synthetic buffer brush) gives a far more superior finish using the same method as I would with the 187 -- stippling.
If you like, you can read my review and see some before/after pics here:
Skin Deco: Enhancing Natural Beauty: The Best $3USD That You'll Ever Spend

The only MAC brush that I use for foundation now is the 109 which is basically their contour brush but it can also be used for buffing in liquid foundation. It's quite nice but I've been using and washing the brush and still hasn't stopped shedding and bleeding

good luck finding a foundation brush that works for you!

iluvmac

I usually apply foundations with my 190 AND THEN buff them in with my 187: no brush strokes that way!

lilithbloody

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellyocheese
188 is smaller and would be good for buffing around smaller areas like the side of the nose, etc. I personally use 188 for blush. 187 is bigger and most people use that for foundation as opposed to the 188

I have the 187 and though I initially used it for liquid foundation, I decided that the elf Studio Powder Brush (flat top synthetic buffer brush) gives a far more superior finish using the same method as I would with the 187 -- stippling.
If you like, you can read my review and see some before/after pics here:
Skin Deco: Enhancing Natural Beauty: The Best $3USD That You'll Ever Spend

The only MAC brush that I use for foundation now is the 109 which is basically their contour brush but it can also be used for buffing in liquid foundation. It's quite nice but I've been using and washing the brush and still hasn't stopped shedding and bleeding

good luck finding a foundation brush that works for you!

Very nice review of the brush
thmbup.gif
Once the french e.l.f website confirms that they ship to Spain i'll definitly buying the brush, among thousands of other items hehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmac
I usually apply foundations with my 190 AND THEN buff them in with my 187: no brush strokes that way!

This summer I took a class at a MAC Pro store and the make up artist used only the 190, but since I've that brush already and I'm buying a 187 dupe I think I'll go your way
smiles.gif

Thank you all for your advices!