clogged pores

milamonster

SO, i think i have clogged pores. I have very oily skin and on my nose and on my chin, like right under the lips , my pores seem to be big and they are clogged with white stuff. It's not visible really unless you have a magnifiying mirror or if youre close r up on my face. It really bugs me, my mom said she used to have that too. But its not like that anymore. I have used that one Helene scrub exfoliation and i wash my face morning and night. I cannot afford a dermatologist in the least bit and therefore cant afford anything too pricey. Is this even clogged pores, and what's a solution. Basically wats a good product? Or a technique?I hope I was being clear. Thank you ladies.

milamonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamergirl3
I love salycilic acid. I use an astringent with 2% or 2.5%. I love the ones by Clean & Clear.

so then by using the astringent it will get rid of them? I'm sorry, I know it sounds dumb, but I've used astringents before and it hasn't done anything to those areas.
I know it's different but I have one with benzyol peroxide but it's a cream.
thank you!

Dreamergirl3

well from what I know, salicylic (sp?) acid is a chemical exfoliant that pretty much sloughs off dead skin and therefore is great for clogged pores...

as for astringents, yea I don't like to use them because in my opinion they're pointless unless they're medicated lol. So you should make sure that it's got salicylic acid in it
smiles.gif

Benzoyl peroxide is a great acne treatment but it's more of an anti bacterial instead of being an exfoliant...I love it for reg pimples but for clogged pores, I find chemical exfoliants to be most effective.

you can also use alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs). they're another chemical exfoliant. I think it's in ProActives toner.

Here's a good article with more info about salicylic acid
http://health.yahoo.com/experts/skin...are-that-works
greengrin.gif
HTH!

milamonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamergirl3
well from what I know, salicylic (sp?) acid is a chemical exfoliant that pretty much sloughs off dead skin and therefore is great for clogged pores...

as for astringents, yea I don't like to use them because in my opinion they're pointless unless they're medicated lol. So you should make sure that it's got salicylic acid in it
smiles.gif

Benzoyl peroxide is a great acne treatment but it's more of an anti bacterial instead of being an exfoliant...I love it for reg pimples but for clogged pores, I find chemical exfoliants to be most effective.

you can also use alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs). they're another chemical exfoliant. I think it's in ProActives toner.

Here's a good article with more info about salicylic acid
http://health.yahoo.com/experts/skin...are-that-works
greengrin.gif
HTH!

ok thanks, i have a bottle of the proactiv toner, i ll try using that more vigorgously
thanks

Cruella

Try an aspirin mask. Take a few uncoated aspirin, dissolve in a bit of water & apply to the clogged area. I use this on my blackheads & it clears them out really well.

milamonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruella
Try an aspirin mask. Take a few uncoated aspirin, dissolve in a bit of water & apply to the clogged area. I use this on my blackheads & it clears them out really well.

thanks!

Beauty Mark

Go to a spa and get them extracted. Ask them to show you how to safely extract them.

That's the only thing that removes my black heads. It also sates the gross aspect of me that likes seeing the dirt in my skin coming out

milamonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty Mark
Go to a spa and get them extracted. Ask them to show you how to safely extract them.

That's the only thing that removes my black heads. It also sates the gross aspect of me that likes seeing the dirt in my skin coming out

thanks, i dont know how much that costs, hope not much. I will have to do something like this cuz I did the whole salycilic proactiv toner then put on the mint julispe mask.

I'm confused though, I dont even think these are black heads cuz it's white. But it's not like whiteheads cuz those are actuall pimples , right? thanks

jilliandanica

I used to have a similar problem but my clogged pores have been conquered by the powers of uncoated aspirin!
cheerleader.gif

Aspirin has an ingredient that is a derivative of BHA so it'll definitely help make your pores squeeky clean but make sure that you don't over do it because it will eventually dry you out which in turn will only make you more oily and lead to more clogged pores (I know endless cycle!).

Anywhos, I do the following:

Aspirin Mask/Scrub - 1-2x per week
Depending on how you like your scrub, I prefer a lot of granules, I use 4 uncoated aspirins. I add maybe 3-4 droplets of water onto each one to dissolve them. Then I add a squirt of honey. The formula should not be runny just thick enough to make it spreadable onto your face. Pat your face with water and in a circular motion apply the scrub, make sure to not get the stuff too close to your eyes or especially your nostrils this is because as the stuff drives your normal breathing will possibly inhale the aspirin GROSS but eh. Let it sit on your face for like 10 minutes and then as you wash it off you can scrub a little more.

Follow with a gentle cleanser, toner if necessary, blemish treatment if necessary, and moisturizer.

If you're face is still asking for a kick in the butt, you can mix some aspirin with witch hazel or just plain water for a toner.

I've since stopped using the Queen Helene masks on my face. HTH!

milamonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilliandanica
I used to have a similar problem but my clogged pores have been conquered by the powers of uncoated aspirin!
cheerleader.gif

Aspirin has an ingredient that is a derivative of BHA so it'll definitely help make your pores squeeky clean but make sure that you don't over do it because it will eventually dry you out which in turn will only make you more oily and lead to more clogged pores (I know endless cycle!).

Anywhos, I do the following:

Aspirin Mask/Scrub - 1-2x per week
Depending on how you like your scrub, I prefer a lot of granules, I use 4 uncoated aspirins. I add maybe 3-4 droplets of water onto each one to dissolve them. Then I add a squirt of honey. The formula should not be runny just thick enough to make it spreadable onto your face. Pat your face with water and in a circular motion apply the scrub, make sure to not get the stuff too close to your eyes or especially your nostrils this is because as the stuff drives your normal breathing will possibly inhale the aspirin GROSS but eh. Let it sit on your face for like 10 minutes and then as you wash it off you can scrub a little more.

Follow with a gentle cleanser, toner if necessary, blemish treatment if necessary, and moisturizer.

If you're face is still asking for a kick in the butt, you can mix some aspirin with witch hazel or just plain water for a toner.

I've since stopped using the Queen Helene masks on my face. HTH!

ok, that's cool.But so i mix this up and apply it but i dont get how it sucks out the stuff in your pores. like the queen helene scrub and mint julipe maskswont do anythign for me at all. it makes it look a bit better, but it still is filled with gunk. ill give it a try though.thank you.

lil_kismet

I also find that the aspirin mask helps to tone down oilies as well as clarify the skin.

My method:

1) Mash up 5 uncoated aspirin in a ziplock bag (I use a big rolling pin to do this) into a fine powder.

2) Pour aspirin bits into a small bowl or saucer and mix in about a tablespoon of aloe vera gel. As already mentioned, make sure the mixture isn't too runny. A somewhat thick, pasty texture would be ideal so that it doesn't drip off your face. Then allow the mixture to sit and dissolve a little more as you cleanse your face.

3) Cleanse with a gentle cleanser. Then place a hot cloth over your face for a minute or so to open up your pores.

4) Slather the mask over your face (I usually concentrate a lot of the mixture on my Tzone). Allow it to dry for about 15min.

5) Keep saturating your hands with water and scrub VERY GENTLY in a circular motion. Use a face cloth and gently wash off the remaining bits.

6) Wet your face cloth with very cold water and place it over your face to close pores. Or, you could just splash cold water on your face and gently towel dry.

7) Take a couple minutes to massage on an oil-free mosturizer.

Hope this helps as well
smiles.gif

csuthetaphi

This is an interesting thread. I have never heard of an aspirin mask before. I have the worst clogged pores, and they drive me crazy! Biore strips don't work on me, and I was about to head to the dermotologist, but I think I am going to try this first!

Thanks for the tips!

milamonster

everyone's been saying to put the hot towel on and i havnet tried this with any of the techniques ive already try. I will try out the 2 masks with that and then this one if those dont work
thank you so much!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_kismet
I also find that the aspirin mask helps to tone down oilies as well as clarify the skin.
thank you very much.

My method:

1) Mash up 5 uncoated aspirin in a ziplock bag (I use a big rolling pin to do this) into a fine powder.

2) Pour aspirin bits into a small bowl or saucer and mix in about a tablespoon of aloe vera gel. As already mentioned, make sure the mixture isn't too runny. A somewhat thick, pasty texture would be ideal so that it doesn't drip off your face. Then allow the mixture to sit and dissolve a little more as you cleanse your face.

3) Cleanse with a gentle cleanser. Then place a hot cloth over your face for a minute or so to open up your pores.

4) Slather the mask over your face (I usually concentrate a lot of the mixture on my Tzone). Allow it to dry for about 15min.

5) Keep saturating your hands with water and scrub VERY GENTLY in a circular motion. Use a face cloth and gently wash off the remaining bits.

6) Wet your face cloth with very cold water and place it over your face to close pores. Or, you could just splash cold water on your face and gently towel dry.

7) Take a couple minutes to massage on an oil-free mosturizer.

Hope this helps as well
smiles.gif

milamonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by csuthetaphi
This is an interesting thread. I have never heard of an aspirin mask before. I have the worst clogged pores, and they drive me crazy! Biore strips don't work on me, and I was about to head to the dermotologist, but I think I am going to try this first!

Thanks for the tips!

man, i hope something works, cuz i was gonna head to the store and get some strips when ig et my paycheck in 2 weeks.

jilliandanica

Quote:
Originally Posted by milamonster
ok, that's cool.But so i mix this up and apply it but i dont get how it sucks out the stuff in your pores. like the queen helene scrub and mint julipe maskswont do anything for me at all. it makes it look a bit better, but it still is filled with gunk. ill give it a try though.thank you.

There is no real "sucking out" involved with this mask, but the bha derivative in the aspirin will help clean out your pores and the exfoliation of the granules will help brighten your skin. the more you use it, you should notice a difference in the texture and tone of your skin. as suggested, you can open up your pores by steaming them open with a warm/hot towel prior to applying the mask/scrub. you can also try adding the aspirin to your favorite mask.

milamonster

i dont know if i suck or what but i made the water the hottest i could get it and soaked the towel in there (in my sink filled with the steaming water) and placed it on my face, i reapeated this for 15 minutes, soaking it in and putting it on my face. And then i went to see if it made my pores more open it seemed a bit better. Then I used the scrub 2x from queen helene with my hands and with a washcloth. Then I used a salicilyic toner pad thing over that. But it just didnt do anythign for me. =(. I think next I'm going to try Biore face strips next though. hopefully those work. I don't have any advil right now so I havent tried it. I think I saw some of the on ein packs in my I'm ready to give up.
ssad.gif

MisaMayah

Go to your nearest Clinique counter & ask for help, I've just started using their pore products (but mine are large pores, not clogged) and it's amazing.

Oh and make sure you drink plenty of water everyday!!

Honey B. Fly

i actualy Love biores pore strips but the trick is to leave them on for 30-40mins and not just 15.. i swear i cannot believe how much those things pull out everytime i look at the strip

thelilprincess

if you do the aspirin mask, check out this thread here.

i like the Biore Strips. this is my little ritual:

wash face with cleanser, rinse. (don't dry face yet). apply Biore Warming Mask - i get better results with the strips when i use the mask beforehand - i think the heat from the mask opens up the pores and softens up the clogged gunk. rinse (don't dry face yet). apply Biore Nose Strip. now pat face dry with towel - i gently pat nose. i wait at least 15-20 minutes - so go read a magazine, watch tv, or surf specktra. then SLOWLY peel off nose strip - i made the mistake of peeling it off fast like wax strips and it doesn't work as well. i got the fiance to do this weekly (ok, he slacks off sometimes....he use to do it weekly, but at least once a month he does it now) and his sisters did notice his skin was looking a lot better.

i also exfoliate gently (i keep apricot scrub in the shower & just use it once a week)

hth!

Latest posts