!!!!!Coastal Scents Controversy!!!!! PLEASE WATCH

astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzzRach
Wow, this thread is still going.......

Some people still don't get it.

michael%20jackson%20gif.gif

astronaut

HEY YA'LL! So I wanted to add that (hydrated) silica is in a lot of our toothpastes. Crest, Colgate, even... GASP! Tom's natural toothpaste! I guess we should all stop brushing our teeth just in case. You know, don't want to risk anything! Brushing our teeth with toothpaste at least twice a day, everyday, from the moment we sprout teeth will expose us to so much scary hydrated silica over time!

Quote:
What are the risks?

Hydrated silica has a long history of safe use as an ingredient in food products. It is listed by the US Food & Drug Administration to be Generally Recognized As Safe (GRAS) and has no known toxicity or carcinogenicity. In the 1980's concerns were raised about the use of "silica," a term commonly used to describe both hydrated silica and crystalline silica. Crystalline silica is a toxin and evidence suggests it is a carcinogen as well. In response to the confusion created by the two ingredients sharing a common name, the Chemical Abstracts Services (CAS) created a new catalog number for hydrated silica to more effectively differentiate it from its toxic cousin, crystalline silica. The only potential risk involved in using hydrated silica is that it could be sourced in such a way that it is contaminated by crystalline silica. We require our supplier for this ingredient to use a test method called X-ray diffraction to conclusively prove that the hydrated silica we purchase is not contaminated by crystalline silica.

http://www.tomsofmaine.com/products/...ca,%20hydrated

Quote:
What kind of silica does Crest Vivid White Night contain?
Crest Vivid White Night contains a unique combination of safe polishing silicas that work together to help clean better than any other Crest toothpaste formula.

Crest Vivid White Toothpaste

I love how Crest just calls them "safe polishing silicas". lol.

DD-KreeperFXFangs.jpg

My teeth may look like crap, but at least I know I'm healthy (in my own mind
th_crazy.gif
)

sweetz

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelove4tequila
Dammit my eyes hurt from reading 9 pages of this. Nothing to add just want to write something.
greengrin.gif

same here.. oh thanks everyone for our FYIs

CreamPuffer

I'm sorry for this, I know everyone just wants the post to die. But here's another example of some unprofessional behavior by Kathy/CC. The below was posted by heytalina from mac_cosmetics.

"I had a CS video up, too. I am not a fan of it - although I know many are, and I fully respect that. However, Kathy from CS actually had the nerve to post on my video some seriously smearing crap, so I flagged it for abuse. Anyway, her username was StarMagixz. If you know anyone on youtube that's got nasty feedback about their CS videos, and gotten a comment from this user, let them know that it's Kathy. Argh"

"She was also stupid enough to put her age and other info in on her user page, and she only created the account today. This is what she said:
"LOL this person is upset because he/she has spent countless $'s on Mac.The quality of the shadows is way great & last all day. They do not wipe off easy. Notice how this reviewer used very drab colors to display the CS shadows & very bright colors for their Mac display. LOL The brushes are the best. Some CS pigments way 'out pop' any brand. They apply like silk & last all day with no primer. I have never had any of them crease, wipe off, nor burn my skin. I am still laughing at this video!"

fashioniztah_07

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissResha
so it was Silica that whitney houston was all cracked out on!! dammit!! *shakes fist* i knew it!! she's way too rich for crack! i'll be damned..

th_LMAO.gif

Phillygirl

wow..that is sad. I'm not so much worried about the silica in the product but more so her behavior seems a bit bizzare for someone trying to make a go at a business.

kchan99

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronaut
MUFE Silica = spherical silica ~ 7 µm* (according to a MUFE MUA on HSN. Youtube video available)
TKB Trading Silica = spherical silica ~ 5 µm* (according to their website)
Costal Scents Silica = spherical silica ~ 10-14 µm* (I think, according to their website)

*average

Ingredients for all powders = silicone dioxide. What else is there to list?

Thanks for the information on particle sizes.

According to my pathology text (Robbins 7th ed. p.732) on dusts in general (not specifically silica), "the most dangerous particles range from 1 to 5 µm in diameter because they may reach the terminal small airways and air sacs and settle in their linings." Particles will stay longer in lungs of smokers because their cilia aren't working.

swaly

EDIT: I READ BACK A LITTLE AND UNDERSTAND NOW...but oh boy was I shocked initially

Maybe I didn't read this thread carefully enough, but people are purchasing silica powder FOR THEIR COSMETICS?

We use the stuff in the glass department at RISD for making molds and it's an extreme health risk. We use full-on gas masks when we open the silica powder container because even a single particle can give you silicosis twenty years down the line (nodules formed around particles in your lungs = cancer).

Or is this just a poorly named different silica?

1165Cheryl

I didnt read this whole thread but just from my person experience CS's don't stay on as long nor blend well with other MICAS. (I have my own line I sell seperate from my pigment samples) and get my MICAS & blending mix from 2 brands to create my own line. They are much more expensive but well worth it. I tried a few of CS'S while researching the best ones and wouldnt buy from them again.

jillo

ok i think you all need to read this.

Is Silica Powder in MakeUp Forever HD powder dangerous? | The Beauty Brains

Quote:
HeyHazelHazel…Recently I’ve heard that silica powder, like Coastal Scent’s silica powder spheres can cause Silicosis. I thought it was the same thing as Make Up Forever’s HD powder, which is also listed it’s ingredients as 100% mineral silica powder. Are they really the same? Are either of them going to cause Silicosis if I breath them? Both of them float around in the air really easily when you open their jars.
The Right Brain replies:

For those of our readers who aren’t familiar with Silicosis, it’s a lung condition caused crystalline silica is inhaled. This chemical is toxic to the lining of the lung and causes a strong inflammatory response. Over time this inflammation causes the lung tissue to become thickened and scarred. Symptoms of Silicosis include: chronic dry cough, shortness of breath, loss of appetite, trouble sleeping and nails with a bluish tint. But before you start thinking this blog is called the Bronchial Brains, let’s get back to cosmetics.
Mineral Makeup

Fortunately for those of us who love mineral makeup, the kind of silica powder used in cosmetics is not a problem. Hydrated silica (aka silicone dioxide) is a mineral used in many mineral makeup products including Makeup Forever HD and Coastal Scents. This type of silica doesn’t react with lung tissue like the crystalline form does so these products are safe to use. As Forum member Guiness pointed out, additional information on hydrated silica can be found at Cosmeticsinfo.org. So you can stop fuming about your foundation.
The Beauty Brains bottom line

We’re glad we can help clarify the difference between confusing chemicals. There are many kinds of chemicals with similar names and sometimes it takes a chemist to really tell them apart. That’s what we’re here for!

Ps, Coastal Scents is a rip off. Everything they sell is on ebay for much cheaper. They just resell the stuff for much more.

panda0410

Um, did you happen to look at the date and age of this thread? I think the issue was resolved well beyond any shadow of a doubt
winks.gif
Lets let it die now please
smiles.gif

Latest posts