Color choices for eye makeup

euphrosyne_rose

Sigh. Lately, I feel like I'm making some crappy choices on eye colors. Usually I'm not the type of person that feels like certain features call for certain color schemes when it comes to m/u and I've always been of the opinion that a person can use any color if they find a way to make it work.

I am an NC30 with yellow undertones, I have dark brown hair and green eyes with a small touch of gold around the pupil. I usually get compliments when I wear "brights" like royal blue, magenta and teal but also have gotten compliemts on pale blue or mint/sage green. My eyes are fairly small and the area between upper lash line and crease is not that big. You can get an idea with my avatar pic.
cutey.gif

I'm not usually into neutrals/browns but I feel like lately that's all that looks "right". I like to use color but don't usually go to anything too bright or crazy. I also like doing dark looks occasionally as well. For example, Saturday, I used this Dior quint I had gotten on a sale here called Earth Reflection and I used the middle pale pink color on the lid and used the medium brown shimmery color as my crease color with the dark brown from the NARS Cordura duo as liner and a pale, pale almost white slightly shimmery pink as highlight and I thought it looked awesome. Sunday I used my NARS Underworld duo with the silvery color on the lid and the blue as the crease color with black liner and all day kept seeing myself in the mirror and thought it looked dodgy. I have all sorts of brands and colors and usually love using them but just have felt blah with alot of it lately. Does anyone else have this issue or any ideas on something I might be doing wrong? Any tips or ideas would be SO appreciated so I can get out of this rut I seem to be in. I want to look nice and put together and just can't seem to get a handle on it lately.
th_dunno.gif

gildedangel

The best way to get out of an eyeshadow rut is to challenge yourself. Pick 2-3 random eyeshadows, and challenge yourself to make them work well together!

joneskat84

I agree with just picking random colors and making them work. If you're in any of the makeup groups on myspace they used to have challenges all the time and that might spark some creativity
smiles.gif

Temptasia

I go through phases as well. Sometimes I go through a phase where I don't even want wear any makeup at all.

Sometimes doing something different with your hair...new cut or color can sometimes inspire your makeup. I know that when my hair is really dark...I love bolder colors and when I have lighter hair, I wear neutrals in different textures and intensity.

As I get older, I just want makeup to be simple and easy. So neutrals or toned down colors become the norm. I know that when I need to kick it up a notch for special events, I will.

Recently I've take inventory of my makeup collection and gave/threw away the duds or what I outgrew. I only keep what I love love love. Takes the pressure off of needing to use everything just because.

euphrosyne_rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temptasia
I go through phases as well. Sometimes I go through a phase where I don't even want wear any makeup at all.

Sometimes doing something different with your hair...new cut or color can sometimes inspire your makeup. I know that when my hair is really dark...I love bolder colors and when I have lighter hair, I wear neutrals in different textures and intensity.

As I get older, I just want makeup to be simple and easy. So neutrals or toned down colors become the norm. I know that when I need to kick it up a notch for special events, I will.

Recently I've take inventory of my makeup collection and gave/threw away the duds or what I outgrew. I only keep what I love love love. Takes the pressure off of needing to use everything just because.

It's good to know I'm not the only one.
th_DANCE.gif
Now that you said as you get older you want it to be simple, I find the same to be true for myself. I love the colors but at the same time just don't feel like they are always what looks best on me. Lately I've even noticed with my clothes I've sort of had a change with what I like. I used to be drawn to all the pretty pastels and still love my pale greens and blues but now I find I gravitate toward brighter colors like the royal blue and I just saw this awesome bright purple pea coat that I LOVE at J Crew. Years ago I would have never gone to brighter colors. I've actually been going through my stash as well and getting rid of things I don't use.

Thanks for the advice! I do plan on getting my hair done soon and I've been buying some new clothes so hopefully that will motivate me to think of some fresh ideas for the m/u!