Colour Payoff..How To Question

Andrew

Good Morning Specktra Ladies and Gents(?)

I am wondering how to get real intensity with my eyeshadows and pigments..I dont seem to be able to build the colour payoff up very well..I see pictures of for example Daphne Guinness (NARS) had a spectacular picture using NARS eyeshadow Nightcrawler ( I think that was the name), the impact was immense,incredibly dark and powerful. How on earth can you get such intensisty? Any MUA's or Make Up Gurus here please advise me.

MAC Pigments..well I have loads, I love them, they sit in my boxes like jewels but again I am unsure as to how I should apply them and get decent colour payoffs. I do apply them currently by patting the pigments onto for example the eyelids but I am not entirely certain as to whether or not I need an intense eyeshadow of a similar colour underneath to get the impact..

Apologies for the rambling post, I hope I have explained myself clearly. My training so far has been very classic work, really classic work, Quiet understated make up that works well on most. I am trying to get to a stage where I get more editorial looks/runway/catwalk looks..so any help will be gratefully recieved..

Thank you..

Kindest regards

Andrew

xKiKix

with pigments you should always be using a mixing medium or just spray fix+ onto your brush so the pigment is slightly damp. this makes the pigment much more vibrant.

as for eye shadows i would suggest using colored bases to really bring out their colors. hth.

Susanne

I agree, I wear all my pigments with fix+ which gives them a great intensity and colour payoff
yes.gif

For eyeshadows use a coloured base like MAC paints, paint pots or grease paint sticks. They intensify the colour of the e/s a lot!

Door

One word: BASE

The base can be paint pot, NYX Jumbo e/s pencil or any cream e/s. I use MAC Blackground PP under darker colors and white eye pencil under bright colors (pinks, chartreuse, turquoise). These give me enough intensity and make the colors more vibrant. I very rarely use fix+, but that's only if I don't have any base available. I bet the colors would be even more intense and vibrant if the base was the same color as the e/s or pigment, but for me white and black are good enough.

LMD84

i love using pigments and to get the best colour payoff i usually use them wet
smiles.gif

here is what i do -

*urban decay primer potion - use this first to stop creasing
*mac paint or paint pot - this adds a colour base - i prefer paints though because they are drier than paint pots
*then get pigment on a 239 brush and add a couple of drops of water based mixing medium (from mac pro) and smoosh the brush in the pigment lid to make a paste. then apply!

for crease areas i use a 219 brush with pigment on it, spray a little fix+ to dampen it and then apply in the crease. then go over it with dry pigment on a 222 brush to blend out
smiles.gif

DarkGlamourXO

For brushes I think the 239 and the 219 apply color boldly. For bases I love TF Shadow Insurance and UD's primer. And I love wetting shadows for more intensity. The NARS Night shadow you mentioned is part of a collection of seriously pigmented shadows, you have to try them! All you have to do is touch the shadow with your fingertip and you'll be amazed at how bold it looks right away.

Babylard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Door
One word: BASE

The base can be paint pot, NYX Jumbo e/s pencil or any cream e/s. I use MAC Blackground PP under darker colors and white eye pencil under bright colors (pinks, chartreuse, turquoise). These give me enough intensity and make the colors more vibrant. I very rarely use fix+, but that's only if I don't have any base available. I bet the colors would be even more intense and vibrant if the base was the same color as the e/s or pigment, but for me white and black are good enough.

Dito on nyx jumbo pencils over urban decay primer!

Simply Elegant

Small dense brushes are also great at packing on colour. Only blend out the very outer edges lightly in one direction to avoid muddiness.